Author Topic: First & Early Impressions of an Xbox One NooB  (Read 5736 times)

kashell

Re: First & Early Impressions of an Xbox One NooB
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2016, 03:51:59 pm »
I still want to get a Wii U, so maybe I could trade it into GS for one.

gf78

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2016, 08:46:38 pm »
I still want to get a Wii U, so maybe I could trade it into GS for one.

You could get $100 on a trade in for the 500gb non-Kinect version. A Wii U is about $230 used.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2016, 09:48:11 am »
Picked up a few additional goodies and figure I would give my opinion on them as they relate directly to the "user experience" on Xbox One.

First up, I bought a used Stereo Headset Adapter which is basically the little thing that connects to the bottom of the controller.  The newer Xbox One controllers have a 3.5mm headphone jack built in, just like the Dual Shock 4 always has.  Unfortunately on both systems, the only way to adjust the volume when using the headphone jack is to go into the settings panel and raise or lower it there.  So while the adapter I bought is not necessary to use headphones with the controller, it does allow you to adjust the volume right there on the controller, mute the mic and adjust the balance between game sound and chat.  So it was a well-spent $11.  I wish there was a simple option like this for the PS4.

Next up is the Xbox One Elite Controller.  The two best things about Xbox IMO has always been Halo and the controllers.  Ever since the S controller on the original Xbox, I have loved the feel of Microsoft's fare.  The Xbox One controller feels great, so it should come as no surprise that the Elite controller is even better.  The app you use on the system to adjust the settings has so many options it can be daunting.  Fortunately for those who just want to jump into the action, there are game "presets" made by developers and the community that you can select which give you the optimal configuration.  Aside from the paddles and replaceable thumbsticks that everyone knows about, the actual "grip" of the controller bears mentioning.  The handles have a textured finish which feels very comfortable in your hands and prevents any slipping, but the entire controller itself also has a soft rubberized feel to it.  The "radar dish" d-pad that everyone thinks looks weird (and can be replaced with a standard "+" style job) really shines when it comes to fighting games or really, any other game that requires a rolling directional input.  Next up is the trigger locks which are small switches on the back side of the controller.  While your typical shoulder buttons work great for racers where the further you push, the more break & gas you are applying - they aren't perfect for games where you just really need to push a button.  Locking the triggers changes them so they only have to travel half the distance.  If you are playing a competitive shooter, the split second speed boost can make all the difference.  And finally, the entire thing is also packaged like royalty.  It has it's own carrying case with spaces to hold all the paddles, analog sticks, etc.  And the included USB cable isn't a standard rubber cord but a really premium braided cord. 

Is it worth $150?  Is it necessary?  I don't know.  I guess it depends on the individual.  Scuff and other "pro" controllers cost the same as or more than the Elite controller.  Comparing this to my buddies Scuff controller, Microsoft did a good job on this.  Every facet of the Elite controller is a step-up from the standard model.  A nice touch is the analog stick shafts are made of metal and the opening they travel in is bordered with a separate piece of hard plastic.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us