Author Topic: More Missing Consoles  (Read 48268 times)

Re: More Missing Consoles
« Reply #240 on: December 31, 2012, 01:38:32 pm »
Are we allowed to add old 80's handheld games like Tandy or Mattel LED handhelds? If so what section is the best to put them in? Hardware? Other?

tpugmire

« Reply #241 on: January 03, 2013, 10:44:42 pm »
I'd suggest putting them in "Other" for now. I'll see about getting the Tandy handhelds subcategory added to the Tandy category.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2013, 01:26:14 pm »
Are we allowed to add old 80's handheld games like Tandy or Mattel LED handhelds? If so what section is the best to put them in? Hardware? Other?

There is an LCD category.

foxhack

« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2013, 11:52:17 pm »
I just added a strange variant of Bomberman Party Edition.

http://vgcollect.com/item/37397

Get this - the item has an NTSC-J code, and Japanese packaging and manuals... and one manual in Chinese / English. And the obi strip has Chinese, too. Were Playstation games released in Hong Kong?

« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2013, 11:54:09 pm »
They were. I have a few Hong Kong/Taiwan region PS2 games that are NTSC-J encoded and come with English/Chinese instructions.

foxhack

« Reply #245 on: January 06, 2013, 11:58:50 pm »
They were. I have a few Hong Kong/Taiwan region PS2 games that are NTSC-J encoded and come with English/Chinese instructions.
Wow. Then I think we need a couple of new platform regions.

« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2013, 12:16:25 am »
The Chinese region would cover these wouldn't it? I'm not aware of any official mainland China releases for PS2 that would warrant the need for a distinction between that and Hong Kong/Taiwan (and if we did make that distinction, then wouldn't we also need to do the same for UK/FR/DE, etc PS2 games instead of just listing them as EU?).

While we're on the subject Korea has also had its own Wii and DS releases :)

foxhack

« Reply #247 on: January 07, 2013, 12:25:40 am »
I'm not sure the PS1 and PS2 were released in China.

I mean, since their government seems to hate console games over there or something. :P

« Reply #248 on: January 07, 2013, 12:29:36 am »
Hong Kong/Taiwan are a part of China though - drawing a line between mainland and autonomous region releases would be like creating a category just for games released in Gibraltar.

Basically, I don't think most people will know, even less will care and I don't think it's worth more than a quick comment in the notes field anyway :)

rachel

« Reply #249 on: January 07, 2013, 01:56:43 am »

BTW, Mattel handhelds have their own section: http://vgcollect.com/browse/mattelhandheld

foxhack

« Reply #250 on: January 07, 2013, 09:56:48 am »
Hong Kong/Taiwan are a part of China though - drawing a line between mainland and autonomous region releases would be like creating a category just for games released in Gibraltar.

Basically, I don't think most people will know, even less will care and I don't think it's worth more than a quick comment in the notes field anyway :)
Well, Wikipedia says gaming consoles have been banned in mainland China since June 2000. So I don't see the point in having a Chinese section for console games. PC gaming is a different thing, of course.

insektmute

« Reply #251 on: January 31, 2013, 11:07:40 am »
Well, Wikipedia says gaming consoles have been banned in mainland China since June 2000. So I don't see the point in having a Chinese section for console games. PC gaming is a different thing, of course.

I think part of the confusion is that there are two release regions over there that share the same region encoding - JP and AS (rest of Asia). In the case of the PS2, they're both encoded as NTSC-J, and so fairly interchangeable, but this is one way that companies were essentially able to get around any restrictions for different areas. If you head over to Play-Asia (which is based in and ships from Hong Kong), NCSX, etc. you'll find just about every Japanese release has an Asian region counterpart, some of which are also really friendly to English-speaking importers.

Stuff like this is why I recently suggested we indicate region encoding in the details for each game, though. Helps clear up a lot of the confusion if you know that the "Chinese" release is actually an "Asian" release because it's encoded a particular way, for example, as opposed to whether it's genuinely exclusive to a particular country that doesn't fit into one of the main release areas.

tripredacus

« Reply #252 on: January 31, 2013, 07:57:13 pm »
I have 3 tapes for the Timex Sinclair 1000 but there is nothing under Timex or Sinclair.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Sinclair_1000

tripredacus

« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2013, 04:44:32 pm »
Commodore VIC-20 [NA] section is missing, [EU] section already exists.

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #254 on: March 06, 2013, 01:49:42 am »
Is "PlayStation Network (Vita)" able to be changed to "PlayStation Network (Vita) (NA)" (which it is on detail view anyway) and get "PlayStation Network (Vita) (EU)" and "PlayStation Network (Vita) (JP)" added in?