Author Topic: Physical items with Steam codes / DRM disc  (Read 3254 times)

Re: Physical items with Steam codes / DRM disc
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 10:07:33 am »
http://vgcollect.com/item/97203 - my request to change to "Steam Category" on Rabi-Rabi got declined - thought we put it in steam category if there's no disc but steam code only?  ???

tripredacus

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 10:24:42 am »
If it has a physical component, it should not be in a digital category. I did not reject (or see) that edit, but I would have rejected it as well.

I think from Deso's post, situation a and b (for PC example) should go into PC [NA].

desocietas

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 10:53:13 am »
If it has a physical component, it should not be in a digital category. I did not reject (or see) that edit, but I would have rejected it as well.

I think from Deso's post, situation a and b (for PC example) should go into PC [NA].

To be consistent, would this apply to digital console games with physical components? Oxenfree's CE, for example, had an option for a XB1 key to be emailed instead of a Steam key. I believe the new Hitman CE also had a digital game key as well.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tripredacus

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 10:40:32 am »

To be consistent, would this apply to digital console games with physical components? Oxenfree's CE, for example, had an option for a XB1 key to be emailed instead of a Steam key. I believe the new Hitman CE also had a digital game key as well.

Oh the key is not in the contents at all? I thought you mean it was printed on a card or something which happens with a lot of games. If the item in question has no game or key inside it at all, it really isn't a game then.

desocietas

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 08:31:14 pm »
It varies depending on the item we're talking about. Ori had a disc and activation code or whatever for Steam. But Oxenfree did not include a physical game component, but the code was emailed in addition to the physical components being sent: http://store.iam8bit.com/products/oxenfree-collector-s-edition/

I don't know if I agree that, if there was no voucher or disc for the game, that it's not a game at all. The item is advertised with the game (emailed) and isn't really just an add-on in the same way that Lara Croft's Gold Edition is: https://www.amazon.com/Lara-Croft-Temple-Osiris-Included-Pc/dp/B00O1Z3FMK

I can understand feeling like no physical components should be in the Steam category (or other digital game platform), but I'm not sure if users want to have the items split into two parts with the individual digital game listing and another listing under swag for everything else in the box.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tripredacus

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 10:41:59 am »
OK for Oxenfree, there should be a listing for the game in Steam category. Then the other portion goes into swag category.

Remember, this isn't about what you feel you purchased, but what the item actually is. I know you bought this because you wanted to buy a game and get this extra stuff. But that was not how the item was delivered. And creating separate entries for these things are not alien. It is no different than the reason why we have separate entries for bundle exclusive carts outside of the bundle entry.