Author Topic: What is the Most Important Part of a Game to You?  (Read 4236 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: What is the Most Important Part of a Game to You?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 03:00:45 pm »
Is. It. Fun?

That's is.

I understand what you mean by how clear and simple this should be in theory.  Mario Kart is fun, Super Smash Bros. is fun.  But there are whole franchises that people adore, entire genres that aren't necessarily aiming to be fun first-hand. 

I don't think anybody was praising P.T because it was "fun", people love Resident Evil and Silent Hill (Basically the entire Horror genre) because it presents a huge challenge, people get a huge thrill from objective fear and fuelling the adrenaline.  I enjoy Professor Layton because it challenges the mind, it's also one of the only games I can enjoy with my Mom.  It requires a lot more critical thinking than any other game I've played.  Fire Emblem is also a strong example of the same kind of enjoyment. 

Enjoyment, just giving you positive vibes would be an all-encompassing statement instead of just fun.  Maybe the writing is masterful, you can appreciate that and get enjoyment out of that, it isn't just "fun".  If you only really enjoy certain genre of games, in that case fun may always be the prominent aim of the game for you.

I'll rephrase then. 

Do.  I.  Enjoy.  It?

telly

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 03:07:26 pm »
That's partially why I put controls lower on my list, games like Silent Hill purposely don't have great controls because it adds to the fear/helplessness the game is trying to convey, and of course Silent Hill 2 is one of my faves so it was a big factor for me.
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

Warmsignal

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 09:05:13 pm »
Simple. The gameplay. Is it fun? If yes, then it's a good game.

indenton

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 09:21:59 pm »
I'll rephrase then. 

Do.  I.  Enjoy.  It?
Pretty much, you can throw everything other element under a bus if you can't get into the core elements of the genre.  I've very reluctant to play Resident Evil, but I respect it, maybe someday
yea okay
That's partially why I put controls lower on my list, games like Silent Hill purposely don't have great controls because it adds to the fear/helplessness the game is trying to convey, and of course Silent Hill 2 is one of my faves so it was a big factor for me.
See 'Sonic Free Riders' was released exclusively for Xbox 360 to be played with Kinect, because of that piece of crap, it's depressingly unplayable.  But the other elements weren't too bad and being able to control the damn thing isn't too important so it's still a good game, right? RIGHT?!

... if you haven't noticed yet, you're talking to an aspiring designer

kashell

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 08:59:52 am »
Why are you being so hostile?

People are sharing their opinions on what is important in a game they're playing.

telly

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 09:19:31 am »
See 'Sonic Free Riders' was released exclusively for Xbox 360 to be played with Kinect, because of that piece of crap, it's depressingly unplayable.  But the other elements weren't too bad and being able to control the damn thing isn't too important so it's still a good game, right? RIGHT?!

... if you haven't noticed yet, you're talking to an aspiring designer

I'm personally not quite sure what your point is, maybe I just don't understand  :o

Obviously there are games that require precise controls, like racing games, and I still think it's a very important aspect of what makes a game good or bad. All I'm saying is that sometimes controls are purposely hindered to add to the experience, and if they're going for the feeling of being lost/confused/afraid, the controls may be intentionally clunky or stiff.

If Silent Hill 1-4 had fluid, fast and responsive controls, certainly it would play better, yes. But it wouldn't be as scary to play as a tradeoff. Silent Hill Downpour had much more fluid controls with rolling, etc, and it hurts the game.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:28:58 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

indenton

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 01:45:07 pm »
Why are you being so hostile?

People are sharing their opinions on what is important in a game they're playing.

Alright, that was MY opinion.  If you wish to gauge my input as 'Hostile', that wasn't the intent.  Just thought I'd bring up some evidence, was it the mention of the Kinect or Sonic Free Riders?  It's like blasphemy

I'm personally not quite sure what your point is, maybe I just don't understand  :o

Obviously there are games that require precise controls, like racing games, and I still think it's a very important aspect of what makes a game good or bad. All I'm saying is that sometimes controls are purposely hindered to add to the experience, and if they're going for the feeling of being lost/confused/afraid, the controls may be intentionally clunky or stiff.

If Silent Hill 1-4 had fluid, fast and responsive controls, certainly it would play better, yes. But it wouldn't be as scary to play as a tradeoff. Silent Hill Downpour had much more fluid controls with rolling, etc, and it hurts the game.

Of course, I suppose I didn't make that clear, I'm not necessarily referring to having complete freedom or even the control scheme, I do agree with your thought on Silent Hill, the limited maneuverability and having to consider your every move in close quarter definitely adds a layer of danger and depth to a game like that, it keeps you focused, it demands it or else you will lose.  What I was actually referring to was a much broader spectrum of this topic, the importance of having any control, like at all.  There's a distinct difference between Movies/Television and Video Games: you have some form of input, you take away that input, now you're playing Night Trap for the worst ending.  It's very important for a designer, it's not even a selling point it's just to be expected of them, unless they're using some new peripheral of which then the publisher may spin it as a selling point.  (Wii Sports Resort - Wii Motion Plus). 

Does that make sense now?

kashell

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 02:22:52 pm »
I'll rephrase then. 

Do.  I.  Enjoy.  It?
Pretty much, you can throw everything other element under a bus if you can't get into the core elements of the genre.  I've very reluctant to play Resident Evil, but I respect it, maybe someday
yea okay

Whether or not it was your intention, it just seems like you have a hard time accepting what people value most based on your responses.

indenton

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 02:31:16 pm »
Whether or not it was your intention, it just seems like you have a hard time accepting what people value most based on your responses.

I won't engage in conversation next time, happy?

kashell

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 02:43:39 pm »

I won't engage in conversation next time, happy?

Can I get that signed and notarized?

I'm joking. I'm just saying that I'm surprised at how...abrasively(?)  you responded.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 02:56:48 pm »
Abrasive? I don't see any cussing, name calling, threatening, or even all caps anywhere. I thought a healthy debate was encouraged on a message board.

kashell

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 03:21:54 pm »
That's why I tried to lighten the word with the question mark. I was just noting that the responses from indenton seemed out of whack based on the responses to turf and warmsignal.

indenton

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 03:38:39 pm »
That's why I tried to lighten the word with the question mark. I was just noting that the responses from indenton seemed out of whack based on the responses to turf and warmsignal.
Sarcasm and other similar mannerisms just don't work through a text-only medium, I've learnt that from experience.

kashell

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 03:47:37 pm »
Sarcasm and other similar mannerisms just don't work through a text-only medium, I've learnt that from experience.

That's absolutely true.

My bad for misunderstanding the tone.

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 03:58:02 pm »
Probably controls and gameplay.  I can't play the old Resident Evil games, even with the update control schemes on the HD ports, because those controls are miserable and ruin those games.  Everything else is very flexible to me.