Author Topic: About the image database  (Read 902 times)

havar

About the image database
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:14:21 pm »
I am new to this site, but not to collecting. I was browsing though the items for my system (C64) and could not help but notice that it was not possible to view the pics of covers front and back. Is there a restriction to the size or is it just that the uploader did not include hi-res pictures? I would like to see more details than 300x600 pixels. It can sometimes be helpful in identifying variations of a release, since there are countless examples of multiple releases of a title. One thing is regions and formats, but in many cases there are multiple releases of same title in the same region - even on similar format. Often one sees that the front may be similar, but the back have variations in text or layout. If it's a worry that someone downloads the images and tries to make prints and fakes - there's always the option of adding a watermark to each photo.

Could anyone help by sharing some light onto the policy on this site? Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:16:01 pm by havar »

Re: About the image database
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:19:24 pm »
I think the images get downsized.  I've uploaded some large-ish images and they've been downsized after upload.

rayne315

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 02:41:12 pm »
the downsized images are in an attempt to save space and resources for the site. easy to imagine when there are 100,000+ different items logged

Im not sure what items you are specifically referring to but I have never had any issues figuring out the differences between different variations of games by using the current sized files, but I have seen instances in the data base where the variation was called out in the title or description field for instances where you could not tell.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 04:07:51 pm »
I am new to this site, but not to collecting. I was browsing though the items for my system (C64)

Woho! A fellow C64 collector, nice to have you onboard :) Please join in the quest to add lots of C64 games to the site, there are a few of us on here but we need any help we can get! So many games missing at the moment!