Author Topic: wii u game prices  (Read 3998 times)

necrosexual

wii u game prices
« on: July 06, 2016, 12:14:03 am »
kinda an awkward question but
let's talk wii u game prices for a bit.

bringing this up because the prices for the games don't seem to decrease. they're not budging, even though i doubt they're ~flying off the shelves at high demand~ or whatever.
every time i do bring it up people say "well they're still selling at that price" but it's the wii u, a horribly unbought console (that windwaker version sat at gamestop for months and you might be able to still buy it at some locations, 'selling well' and 'wii u' never fits in the same sentence) with a high attachment rate... which would conclude most buyers of a game have already bought the game they want.
(i think i'm seeing ~6 games/wii u?)

i could talk about the financials behind this not helping the wii u's case, being that you can buy a ps4/xbone for a higher entry fee, but the cost of games is lower across the board if you're willing to wait half a year (sometimes less or more, depending) and you'll have more people to play with and what-not, but that's not the point i'm trying to make.

anyway, as much as i'd like to collect for wii u, i still have a ps3 and i have a ps4 to buy for, and i'd rather have bulk than one game i'm not 100% sure i'll be playing for a long while.
(and as a collector, without endless cash)

i'm just thinking... why are none of the prices going down?

super mario 3d world came out years ago, and is still sitting at $60, and i doubt it's still flying off the shelves at anything but a snail's crawl at this point.
you will always have late entries to a console, but holding the value of a game at $60 for its entire life for those stragglers is kinda ridic to me.

i know to some degree retailers have control over this cost but every retailer has the prices frozen for these games... and as much as i'd enjoy having mk8 or ssb4 on my shelf, i can't justify it when i have a 3DS, PS3, PS4 and vita as well.

will those games ever lower in cost? or nah?

my thoughts are kinda scrambled but uh
ye
thoughts?

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

Re: wii u game prices
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 01:29:17 am »
super mario 3d world came out years ago, and is still sitting at $60, and i doubt it's still flying off the shelves at anything but a snail's crawl at this point.
you will always have late entries to a console, but holding the value of a game at $60 for its entire life for those stragglers is kinda ridic to me.

Super Mario 3D World has been at 20 bucks for a few months now because it's a Nintendo Select.  I just sold if for 10 bucks in the marketplace lol

necrosexual

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 02:01:06 am »

Super Mario 3D World has been at 20 bucks for a few months now because it's a Nintendo Select.  I just sold if for 10 bucks in the marketplace lol

my local walmart lied to me then ~.~

still, it's about time.
(and still way overdue)

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 02:40:49 am »
Couple of thoughts.
1. Wii U is now becoming a very collectible console. The games that are fairly pricey (Devil's Third, Bayonetta 2 w/ Bayonetta 1, Hello Kitty Kruisers or Wii Sports Club) had fairly low print runs.
2. Good Nintendo games seem to always hold their value.
3. I think games in retail stores are still at full price because that's how those stores work. It's different online.
Star Fox Zero/Guard bundle came out in April and it currently is $34.42 on Amazon

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 02:52:58 am »
Yeah Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 are like 50 bucks on Amazon too, so they have dropped.  I think it depends on how well a game does and how popular it is.  I feel like Nintendo regularly sells more of their big first party games, so they consistently stay higher than others.  No one gives two damns about Call of Duty after like the first 6 months, but if you buy a Nintendo console, you are gonna be buying these specific games and it's mostly just with their first party titles.  Just as much, stores like Gamestop keep the prices high, just because they can until it becomes a problem for them with competition and they have to drop it.

The good thing is that the Wii U library will be pretty small for collector's to deal with.  I'm sure there are those that can specify the exact number, but according to a reddit post I found, dated 6 months ago, there were only 141 physical releases.  Addin say two dozen since then, and it's not even reaching two hundred.  By the time it ends, it could be a smaller library than the Nintendo 64 which is nearly 300.

necrosexual

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 03:54:43 am »
Yeah Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 are like 50 bucks on Amazon too, so they have dropped.  I think it depends on how well a game does and how popular it is.  I feel like Nintendo regularly sells more of their big first party games, so they consistently stay higher than others.  No one gives two damns about Call of Duty after like the first 6 months, but if you buy a Nintendo console, you are gonna be buying these specific games and it's mostly just with their first party titles.  Just as much, stores like Gamestop keep the prices high, just because they can until it becomes a problem for them with competition and they have to drop it.

The good thing is that the Wii U library will be pretty small for collector's to deal with.  I'm sure there are those that can specify the exact number, but according to a reddit post I found, dated 6 months ago, there were only 141 physical releases.  Addin say two dozen since then, and it's not even reaching two hundred.  By the time it ends, it could be a smaller library than the Nintendo 64 which is nearly 300.

i can buy those games used for $46 from my local shop but it's still really high for a game out for a year or two (and still in print, mind you, obvs i know older games can sometimes go for way more, and even some wii u titles are going for way more, but those are out of print)

the talk of system-exclusive competition makes sense tho i guess. eurgh.
i guess most people do only have one console but the demographics of gaming is shifting and there is no way i'm the only person who barely looks at that section because the prices just never seem to drop so there's no reason to look...

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 09:28:31 am »
A lot of times, at least based on what little I understand, sales prices are deals with the publisher, not just the business taking a loss on the product.  Nintendo is one of those companies that thinks their products are worth MSRP and the titles should stay at MSRP.  It's part of the reason why they rarely have sales on titles, physically or digitally.

Same statement applies with 3DS games I believe.  At least the first party games.  I've still not purchased several 3DS and Wii U games because they haven't gone down in price.  Xenoblade 3D, Hyrule Legends, etc.  Same applies with Xenoblade X, Pokken Tournament, etc.

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 11:09:15 am »
There's a reason I've been collecting as much as I can for the console. There are a few cheap titles such as Zombi U and the Scribblenauts games but I can see the Wii U being like the Saturn or Dreamcast; lots of good games but hard to obtain in the future. When Devil's Third released, I ran around like a chicken with its head cut off going to several GameStop stores until I finally found a copy. Turns out the game was pretty good so I'm glad I did. I found Funky Barn the other day, by reputation, not a great game but an expensive one so I picked it. If I ever found Hello Kitty Racing for a decent price I'd pick it up too. The Bayonetta 1+2 pack is pretty darn expensive now too. I'm just glad I got it day one. Nintendo games rarely drop in price and lots of the third-party games are rare and can only be found on the reseller market so it's getting tough to collect for the system unfortunately.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

rayne315

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 11:28:13 am »

still, it's about time.
(and still way overdue)

At least from my experience walmart always holds onto pricing for electronics. hell my local one still has sealed ps2 games for $30 that will NEVER get sold (sports/racing games and 2 gta games)
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

azure

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 11:32:26 am »

still, it's about time.
(and still way overdue)

At least from my experience walmart always holds onto pricing for electronics. hell my local one still has sealed ps2 games for $30 that will NEVER get sold (sports/racing games and 2 gta games)

This is true, mine stills has some OG Xbox sports titles.

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 11:40:30 am »

still, it's about time.
(and still way overdue)

$30?  Hot damn, what a deal.  Mine still has PS2, GCN, and GBA games at full retail.  They have 10 or so of those double pack PS2 memory cards for like $36.  It's actually clearanced to $35.98.

aliensstudios

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 12:11:25 pm »

still, it's about time.
(and still way overdue)

$30?  Hot damn, what a deal.  Mine still has PS2, GCN, and GBA games at full retail.  They have 10 or so of those double pack PS2 memory cards for like $36.  It's actually clearanced to $35.98.
My Wal-Mart still has Fifa 2006 for PS2 for 18 dollars and no one will buy it. They've also got the GTA Trilogy box set for $40
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gf78

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 01:28:28 pm »
@ the Walmart comments, they are completely nuts.  Old Xbox and PS2 games they refuse to mark down.  I think the local Walmart has had some Xbox game called Drake for over a decade now, taking up shelf space and wanting $20 for it.   ::)

As for Nintendo games not dropping in price, do they even make Player's Choice titles any longer?  It seems to me that Nintendo prints a certain number of games regardless of how popular the series/game is and that's about it.  Through the N64 years and even the Gamecube to some extent, there were always Player's Choice titles.  The Wii didn't have very many at all. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 01:45:00 pm »
@ the Walmart comments, they are completely nuts.  Old Xbox and PS2 games they refuse to mark down.  I think the local Walmart has had some Xbox game called Drake for over a decade now, taking up shelf space and wanting $20 for it.   ::)

As for Nintendo games not dropping in price, do they even make Player's Choice titles any longer?  It seems to me that Nintendo prints a certain number of games regardless of how popular the series/game is and that's about it.  Through the N64 years and even the Gamecube to some extent, there were always Player's Choice titles.  The Wii didn't have very many at all.

I think $9.99 is their lowest game price point. I've never seen a game for cheaper at Wal-Mart, ever.

rayne315

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 01:54:25 pm »

I think $9.99 is their lowest game price point. I've never seen a game for cheaper at Wal-Mart, ever.

that's probably the price they bought it for to begin with, or slightly more expensive. when I used to work at Wal-Mart I used to just go around scanning things with my Gemini to see how much markup items had. the lowest I think I ever saw in electronics was 80% markup. some of the tvs were going for 400-500% markup based on what we got them in at.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully