Author Topic: multiple bar codes, same product  (Read 829 times)

multiple bar codes, same product
« on: July 13, 2016, 01:14:57 pm »
Hello,

I am currently sorting my video games collection and I registered to vgcollect to store the whole thing. Ideally I would love to find games by their bar code to quickly add them to my collection (I have a scanner). Since this information is often missing, I stared filling the gaps where possible.

Now, the problem is that I ran into my first game where the bar code already stored in the vgcollect database doesn't match the one I have. But all the other info about the game is the same.

More specifically, it's about this game: http://vgcollect.com/item/41317

My game has the following code at the back of the box: 711719973850

What should I do in this case? Duplicate the entry?

desocietas

Re: multiple bar codes, same product
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 02:34:35 pm »
Hello,

I am currently sorting my video games collection and I registered to vgcollect to store the whole thing. Ideally I would love to find games by their bar code to quickly add them to my collection (I have a scanner). Since this information is often missing, I stared filling the gaps where possible.

Now, the problem is that I ran into my first game where the bar code already stored in the vgcollect database doesn't match the one I have. But all the other info about the game is the same.

More specifically, it's about this game: http://vgcollect.com/item/41317

My game has the following code at the back of the box: 711719973850

What should I do in this case? Duplicate the entry?

Welcome to the site and the forums! Hm, it does look like the EU version of Echochrome has multiple barcodes. I know some of our items list multiple barcodes in that field, separated by commas, but I don't know if that's ok with our style guide. tripredacus or one of our other admin may be able to advise the best course of action!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 07:01:25 pm »
Thanks, deso!

The reason for the multiple barcodes is usually going to be because of regional releases. The entry for this (Echochrome) is incorrect. It is incorrect because that barcode on the entry, while it exists, does not appear to be the standard English or UK release as it should be with a title like that. The user who added the entry does not have the item in their collection either. Our database is missing a lot of European releases.

Quick EU barcode list for this game.

711719973850: I cannot confirm this, but I suspect it is NL or Dutch version. Please provide a clear photo of the back of the one you have if you need help in identifying.

711719973959: is on 41317, I can't confirm this barcode but it may be on a Swedish release.*
711719973256: English/EU release. This barcode should be put on 41317

711719973751: Spain
711719973652: Italy (has a guy instead of a girl on the front cover)
711719973553: Germany (has at least 2 different USK logo versions)
711719973454: France

*Do not create a Sweden entry for this game until it can be confirmed the barcode is valid and a release exists. It is possible that it is a pre-release barcode that was not used.

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 07:45:37 am »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the answers! I'd love to contribute to the database in a meaningful way; but at the same time I'd love to be able to encode my games efficiently because I really need to sort that stuff, it's becoming problematic (I am losing track).

Please excuse my newbie questions and general cluelessness...

So I made a scan of the whole box cover, can you please help me figure out how to encode it properly? http://imgur.com/CdFzITp

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 09:44:49 am »
It is Echochrome [NL]

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 10:01:34 am »
Thanks, but there is no platform for "PlayStation Portable [NL]", so how can I create "Echochrome [NL]"?

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 10:08:38 am »
Since [NL] is in Europe, put it as an entry under the [EU] category as Echochrome [NL]

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 10:31:17 am »
Thanks! Added it here: http://vgcollect.com/item/108354

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 01:20:37 pm »
Welkom  ;)

Maak ook even een scan van de achterzijde.

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 01:27:18 pm »
Welkom  ;)

Maak ook even een scan van de achterzijde.

Hello, I've added a scan of the back too. Thanks for the suggestion.