Author Topic: Does anyone write their names on their games?  (Read 3279 times)

Does anyone write their names on their games?
« on: August 01, 2016, 10:54:14 am »
I have been buying ps3 games from a local pawn shop because they have so many awesome deals and they are all extremely immaculate. So clean for pawn shop games.  Launch titles from almost a decade ago looking like they just came out of cellophane. So mint. Either never played and stored somewhere or collector owned. Very nice copies.

But the only downfall is that the collector or previous owner named Joel Downing wrote his/her name in full on every case, booklet and disc in red permanent marker lol. Even on a white final fantasy XIII booklet completely ruining it.

I just wanted to see if this was something you've seen before or if it is a thing. My only explanation of it would be

1. Theft Prevention (so he can relocate his games easier if they got stolen)
2. A game (Maybe he wrote his name on them before he sold them to see if he could reunite with them one day, almost like a message in a bottle type thing)  ;D

I even have gotten at least 1 or 2 NES games with a name on them. J.D Joel Downing and Talbot, all in my area on some games.  I don't really understand it too much. Maybe it is a compulsion or a habit that an OCD collector developed but most collectors don't sell their games, especially not to pawn shops.   Any ideas?  :D

Re: Does anyone write their names on their games?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:21:30 am »
Never have and never will. It always pisses me off when I find a game that someone has markered up.

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 12:05:19 pm »
I do not write my name on any games, but I also do not remove any names that are written on a game if I buy it used.

azure

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 12:10:25 pm »
Heck no, that is like a grave sin in my mind, ha.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 12:38:14 pm »
I did it in my youth, when lending out games, or bringing games places, just so there was no mistake who owned the cart at the end of the day.  Never on disc games, boxes, or manuals.  Eventually I started writing my name on masking tape and putting it in the back of carts, not on the back labels.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 01:24:01 pm »
Nope and I hate people who do it.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

maximo310

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 02:11:26 pm »
Nope, because I have a database to keep track of all the stuff I have.  The only things that have markings are my Wavebirds.

kashell

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 02:19:32 pm »
Nope. I never have and never will.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 02:25:42 pm »
I don't

I have stopped taking (fun) stickers and stuff off of them.  I like the story and road it traveled to get to me.

Weird, I know; but I like it.

aliensstudios

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 02:38:16 pm »
My mom used to print out labels for our portable carts and stick them on the back. Easy enough to pull off, but personally I never have or will write my name on any game in my collection. I have a copy of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance which someone had written their name on the top of the disc. Sure it came off with some rubbing alcohol but it was a pain in the arse to deal with.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 02:51:22 pm »
Oh yes, I love to deface everything I get with the biggest, fattest Sharpy I can get my hands on! Just kidding. Never.

I bought something the other week with several names and doodles on it. Apparently an NES cart is the perfect canvas for self-expression.

retrogemcollector

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 08:19:53 pm »
It might be a gamer's habit, but not a collector's. I personally think everyone doing that should be put to death by force inhaling the sharpie vaps. lol.

necrosexual

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 03:26:10 am »
i used to stick my name on like... manga? i have no idea why, i guess i was 11 and dumb

but never games ???
yeaaaah, i have no idea what the difference was, but i sure am glad i didn't.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 08:52:40 am »
A lot of angry people up in here about this.  Removing sharpie ink is super easy.  I'd take a name written on a game over a blockbuster sticker 10/10.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 11:27:23 am »
^ Sometimes. If it's actual Sharpie. But I've had plenty of names written on games where the name laughs at my rubbing alcohol.