Author Topic: Do you hate Greatest hits/Players choice games?  (Read 13713 times)

Do you hate Greatest hits/Players choice games?
« on: August 06, 2016, 01:53:29 pm »
I have been trying to break my prejudice of red labels. Its so hard but I dont think i mind them on PS3 so much. I have gotten a few from people I know and in fact i may prefer that sexy red case. For some reason I think they look cool. Red back ps2 games on the other hand with that maroon color makes me want to vomit, yellow gamecube games are like satan's big toe gunk, and don't get me started on Nintendo selects. at least Players choice, platnuim hits or greatest hits have cover art. Nintendo selects are a joke. half the art is just screaming how its a cheap lame copy. I feel its a compulsion, something ingrained in me and its so hard and difficult for me to avoid them. But I think I have to come to terms with the fact that its the same game, different case. With ps3 the original releases have a red label anyway. so it doesn't look so off putting together. Plus with the new blue labels, its really just so man colors to keep track of.

Do you guys hate Red labels too? To the point where you will refuse them? I wish they wouldn't bother to make them. They can do a price drop without changing the whole case, I assume its more costly to make a whole new color? im not sure tho

Granted I will always buy a black label if one is offered for the same value, but I don't think I will refuse to buy a game from gamestop if the only copy they have is red and its cheap.  I don't think I can care anymore. time to diversify. I wont specifically go after reds because I do like originals more, but I am trying so hard to not hate them.  Wish me luck guys  :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 01:55:25 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

Re: Do you hate Greatest hits/Players choice games?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 01:58:46 pm »
I hate them with a passion, in fact I have gone out of my way to only get non-greatest hits copies of games. I have a total of one in my collection and that is only because it never received a non-greatest hits release, at least in North America (Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution on the PS2 if you're wondering). My least favorite are PS1 greatest hits. That green looks terrible.

aliensstudios

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 02:01:46 pm »
I don't care personally. In fact, (this may sound odd) it's kind of cool to have diversity on the shelf, whether it's different shaped/colored game cartridges or whether it's different game spines (Platinum/Greatest Hits/Players Choice/Selects). I understand some collector's liking having the initial release of a game (more valuable, older version etc.) but if you only collect games for the external value and not of the content in the actual game I think you are missing out, especially if you consider yourself a gamer. If a game is cheaper as a value title, I'll grab it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

robertoman

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 02:15:13 pm »
I can't stand Greatest hits titles. I always try to avoid them unless it is a game I absolutely want or its some sort of special edition (like The Lost World for PS1). Unfortunately, I have a lot of them for PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 1 and would like to go after the black label versions of those. I especially hate the PlayStation 1 Greatest Hits Label as the color choice of Green and Red looks ugly on the cover and not to mention it hurts your eyes just looking at them.

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 02:22:40 pm »
I used to care, not really anymore. They say variety is the spice of life. As long as it's not an image of a small picture of the original cover. In most cases, I've become handy enough with Photoshop and printing that if I want an original cover for something bad enough, I can make one.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 04:02:00 pm »
I don't have any issue with them really.  There might be some designs I don't like, but I generally think Nintendo did theirs well enough.

maximo310

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 04:09:54 pm »
If I can find a black label/ original label instead of gh for around the same price or cheaper, I'll pick up the former. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter too much to me.

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 05:11:25 pm »
It doesn't make a difference to me, but I definately do not mix the re-releases and original versions together.

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 06:05:45 pm »
I don't care at all. CIB means more to me than whether it is a Re Print or not. In fact I my copy off FF7 is a greatest hits and I grabbed it because it was over 20 bucks cheaper than the black label version. I don't bother to upgrade them at all either if it is a GH or Players choice. it's in my collection and done as far as I am concerned. I think the only game I ever intentionally upgraded from GH was Xenogears. And that is solely because it is my favorite game.

That said..they are ugly as sin though. There isn't any getting around it. Especially that Yellow Gamecube and neon green PS1 labels. I mean it screamed as a kid "We are too cheap to afford the latest releases so my family bought me this"

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 06:07:49 pm »
I liked how Nintendo would treat them like an award.  The golden ribbon on the SNES stuff, Nintendo Selects them sorta framed with a red border and a gold ribbon style thing on them.  Gamecube wasn't as good with just a little yellow strip on it though.  PS1 was kinda "eh" with their green designs.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 06:11:48 pm »
If it's an official copy, and it works, I'm happy.

I'm very happy that many collectors are so picky, though. Because in a lot of instances, you can find the Greatest Hits editions for a bit cheaper than the regulars.

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 07:18:11 pm »
I don't "hate" them.  I would rather have the original game.  But if all they had was a greatest hits one I would settle for that one.  Unless it's one I really wanted then I would keep looking.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 07:41:30 pm »
I wouldn't say I "hate" them. It's great that people can have cheaper options for popular games. But I personally go out of my way to get original labels, even if it's a game I really want and the alternative label is cheaper. Greatest Hits, Player's Choice, etc. just seem less... collectible, I guess? I don't have a problem with owning reprints in theory, but something about owning a game that's explicitly marked as a reprint just doesn't appeal to me. I also like my labels to match. I'm not going to pretend this is the slightest bit logical.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

shepard11

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 10:14:12 pm »
I honesty don't care if they are an OG copy or a greatest hits I still count as being in my collection and still play the same. And that's what matters.

aliensstudios

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 11:32:39 pm »
I honesty don't care if they are an OG copy or a greatest hits I still count as being in my collection and still play the same. And that's what matters.
Amen.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."