Author Topic: Do you hate Greatest hits/Players choice games?  (Read 13706 times)

necrosexual

Re: Do you hate Greatest hits/Players choice games?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 01:09:32 am »
i absolutely hate them. my okami is fucking red-label and the only reason i don't go fucking insane over it is because the whole spine is red as a result... and because my flat is dim, i don't notice that much, it just looks like a big red spine.

o wait the saints row iv national treasures edition ONLY came in red label, so that of mine is red too.
it's so fucking ugly 99% of the time. like, why can't the reprint at least look decent? and don't get me started on the neon green and school bus yellow ones. shudder.

now, on the 360, i bet i won't care so much. those are just silver, right? so long as they're not ungodly looking like the horrible bioshock plat hits version... which has that god-awful silver framing. gross.
but the 360 spine is already white, so grey probably won't bother me too much. also, i'm not dedicated to MS like sony platforms, so i doubt i'm gonna care that much. now, they're unsightly on og xbox too, iirc.

i DO like the red cases of the PS3 ones, tho, just... i like consistency. so much so, that my wii u games, i've tossed most of their original boxes out (GASP shock horror) because they have the fucking shitty recyclable ones (that bend and have big, gaping holes in the back of the FUCKING DISC ARE YOU KIDDING) and they come in like 4 different colours: blue, red, green... i think there's a yellow one too. fuck. that. i've replaced their unsightly cases with black ones. sue me. no regrets. i just need a 2-disc case for bayonetta 2.

sorry, but the paper sleeve and disc protection is way, way more important to me than the plastic casing. and those recyclable cases that can be punctured that game producers and dvd producers thought were such a great fucking idea (seriously, WHO decided, "hey, guys, i have a great idea: big gaping holes behind the disc! not on the edges around it, nooo, RIGHT behind the disc!" and had a bunch of people in the same boardroom say "huh? yeah! great idea!!") are a nightmare. they're practically set the fuck up to be punctured and destroyed. ughhh.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 01:12:44 am by necrosexual »

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 08:35:57 am »
I like it. I know some games took advantage of it and fixed problems with the game when it was re-released as a Greatest Hits game so that seems like a pretty good thing.

azure

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 01:55:33 pm »
I won't pass up a deal regardless of the edition, but I prefer to have the originals for a uniform collection.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 06:20:41 pm »
I'm really only concerned with playing the game, so I don't care if it's a Greatest Hits version. However, most of my games are not Greatest Hits; the only ones are those I didn't buy when they were first out but decided later I wanted. For example the first Metal Gear Solid, the first Uncharted, and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, all of which I decided I wanted after playing their sequels.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:22:25 pm by undertakerprime »

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 04:33:42 am »
I prefer premiere editions.

kashell

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 09:15:35 am »
I don't hate them, but I usually go out of my way to buy the original instead because the majority of them look hideous. For instance, green (for the PS) is my favorite color. But, seeing that little slit of green on the game's spine and that upside down, green parabola on the front cover just annoys me. The same thing applies to the red coloring on the PS2/PS3 games.

There will always be exceptions, of course. My copy of Kirby Air Ride is the GH version, but it doesn't bother me because I barely notice it. Also, back in 2001 when they re-released Final Fantasy Tactics, the GH label didn't bother me at all because I was going to be able to finally play the damn game at a reduced price. I have the original version now, but back in the day I didn't care.

defthead

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 04:03:29 pm »
I do prefer first edition rather than GH/Platinum/Selects but I do not hate them, I do not care getting those if it is the only type I have seen through game hunting, for example here at mi country for some reason PS1 black label are much more difficult and expensive to get than Greatest Hits ones, I would not mind getting a GH Symphony of the Night ($40 US Dlls) than a black SoTN ($120 US Dlls), since I collect to play the games rather than just leaving them on a shelf looking good but collecting dust.

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 04:14:25 pm »
Ehhhhhhhhhhh.  Cartridge games, I've never cared if it's PC or not.  Disc systems, it kind of bothers me, so I try not to buy GH/PC unless it's a good deal.  Like I had been wanting Twin Snakes and Mega Man Legends, but I passed on so many CIB copies because they were GH/PC.

But like I have a copy of Paper Mario GCN that is PC, but I'm not going to go out of my way to replace it with a black label copy unless it's from a thrift store or a yard sale or something.

sin2beta

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 08:57:11 pm »
Hate is a strong word, but I try to avoid them. I like to think that it is a display thing on the shelf. I don't like seeing the bright colors compared to the colors. However, I will admit that if I really look at myself, there is a bit of a hipster attitude in me regarding these labels. "I bought the game before it everyone else did." Final Fantasy 7? Yeah I was into that on day one!
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

jupiter

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 07:11:20 am »
I do not care at all.

This is probably because I'm a newer collector, but the stigma doesn't matter to me. I just want to play the games :D

Besides, if(?) the majority of collectors prefer black label, then the gh versions may be more rare in the long run. On top of that, some gh versions have bug fixes/patches/dlc (especially ps3 forward).

Although I do keep my black label/gh stuff separate on the shelf, it's only due to uniform color (now that's racist...)

doafan

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 06:05:00 pm »
Hate them ?, really ? I mean it's the same game after all or does the content of suffer any change between the first one and the one that is released later ? also these releases are less expensive an more affordable to my wallet, have a couple of them in my collection and honestly I don't care, I treat them with the same respect guess that it's because I don't have that much time to play and every title that can give me a couple of hours of fun is accepted at my collection.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

necrosexual

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2016, 07:12:47 pm »
ngl i envy everyone itt who can deal with GH/PC versions of games and not want to scream in horror ;I
i wish i could be less picky but jfc it makes me so angry to see them in my collection... like buying a game for more than $5 and the case not being in pristine condition.
you guys are patient saints.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

razorbeamz

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 11:46:08 pm »
PS1 greatest hits games have really low quality discs that are more prone to damage.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 12:50:17 pm »
PS1 greatest hits games have really low quality discs that are more prone to damage.

This is the first time I have ever heard this in all my years of game collecting.

doafan

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 01:08:20 pm »

Never heard about it and at this point all of the ones that I have are still working, gonna test them tonight just in case  :-\

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy