Author Topic: Do you hate Greatest hits/Players choice games?  (Read 13715 times)

desocietas

Re: Do you hate Greatest hits/Players choice games?
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2016, 03:01:57 pm »
If bad uniformity bothers people so much, do the big box collector's editions bother you guys, too?

CEs don't bother me unless they're not uniform within a series. The fact that all the Tales of collector's editions are different sizes is pretty annoying to me. Especially between Tales of Xillia 1 and 2. Would it have been so difficult to make them the same size?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2016, 04:32:38 pm »
If bad uniformity bothers people so much, do the big box collector's editions bother you guys, too?
I don't put those on the shelves with the other games.  So No.

Steelbooks bother me though.

azure

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2016, 10:17:03 pm »

Same here, it's a nice touch when they include a sleeve with the system logo like with Valkyrie Chronicles.

kashell

« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2016, 08:22:23 am »

Steel Books kind of irk me, too. I like them in concept, but not in execution. Star Ocean 5 came with a steel book that I'm tempted to sell so I can get a regular, sapphire blue PS4 case.

Regarding collector's boxes, I view them as display pieces that add extra flare and decoration to the game room. I prefer them to have different shapes and sizes. Little ones for games like 7th Dragon or Hatsune Miku Mirai are stored elsewhere, but larger ones from the Tales series or Atelier get put on display.

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2016, 08:45:13 am »

Same here, it's a nice touch when they include a sleeve with the system logo like with Valkyrie Chronicles.
If everyone did that, I would be a happy panda.

pizzasafari

« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2016, 08:12:39 pm »
]I think that's a difference between UK and US.  Our spine art varies from game to game pretty radically, but we always have that PS logo at the top of the spine.  I don't mind it because at least SOME THING is the same across the board.

Not that Genesis has any GH/PC equivalent, but this is why I hate the Genesis, they look horrible on shelves.  No conformity across the board.

It really varies, certain consoles' games' spines have varied art the same as yours but a lot of them just have plain colour backgrounds with text. It really sucks. I'll be looking at an American game collection like "Hey maybe my collection will look that nice someda- oh wait no it can't."

The bulk of any multi-platform collection is usually PS2 games which makes American game shelves look really nice but makes ours look so dull. :(

But yeah, it makes it look even uglier when you have a Platinum PS1 or PS2 game here because whereas all the other game cases look the same suddenly having this gaudy-ass black and silver thing sticking out in the middle of it looks horrible.

theflea

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2016, 05:36:51 pm »
Do i hate them? No.
As for collecting them... maybe. lol
It depends if there's a change in the game itself. Some of them are no different other then a different box or Label variant.
While others have new changes to the game. Some examples are...

- Resident Evil Director's Cut (PS1) - They added use of the Dual Shock controller.
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - Fixed many bugs from the original.
- Virtual Fighter 4 Evolution (PS2) - added new fighters
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance (PS2) - Added a bonus disc of extra content

There's many on the PS3/XB360 known as Game of the Year Editions that added DLC content and fixed bugs.
I always hold on to these when I come across them.

These are just the few off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more I can't think of or there's one's I may not know about. :P If anyone knows anymore to add to this list, please tell me so I can hold on to them.

Most of the time I don't pick up every Greatest Hits or Players Choice because I'm not a huge label variant collector unless its something like say Metroid Gray label & Metroid Yellow label just because they look so different. But I have been holding on to SNES and N64 Player's choice carts when I happen to find one out garage salin just because. lol
I also hold on to the PS1 Greatest Hits that the black label only existed as a large box.
But with most PS1, PS2, Gamecube, etc I just sell or trade them off to get something I'd rather have.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

tripredacus

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2016, 07:05:00 pm »

Not CEs, but PC games are a real problem for uniformity. It is a lot better once nearly everyone adopted the DVD or extra size DVD snap-cases, but before that it is crazy. I just look at my big box PC game shelf and say, what are ya gonna do?

defthead

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2016, 12:22:59 am »
I honesty don't care if they are an OG copy or a greatest hits I still count as being in my collection and still play the same. And that's what matters.
Amen.

Double Amen.

GH is the same freaking game!!! *99.99% of the times

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2016, 12:25:49 am »
I honesty don't care if they are an OG copy or a greatest hits I still count as being in my collection and still play the same. And that's what matters.
Amen.

Double Amen.

GH is the same freaking game!!! *99.99% of the times

I'll join this bandwagon.

Flashback2012

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2016, 02:05:25 am »

Not CEs, but PC games are a real problem for uniformity. It is a lot better once nearly everyone adopted the DVD or extra size DVD snap-cases, but before that it is crazy. I just look at my big box PC game shelf and say, what are ya gonna do?

I feel your pain Trip, having worked in gaming retail when PC big boxes were still a thing as well as being a PC gamer at the time with no place to put the damn boxes away in an orderly fashion.  :P

Case in point...Eidos was particularly bad during the big box PC era with their trapezoid shaped boxes. For example...

Then you had boxes like this...

... and numerous other ones that had copious amounts of embossed surfaces, fold-out flaps on both sides of the boxes, and whatever other crazy packaging idea they could dream up(I distinctly remember one box that was basically a pyramid shape but cannot remember the title for the life of me). To add to that, there was almost no consensus on box sizes. You'd have Company A publishing games in 8"x5" boxes, Company B publishing games in 12"x12 boxes and Company C publishing games in 10"x13" boxes.  :P These monstrosities ate up a lot of retail shelf space so thankfully, the one good thing Wal-Mart and other retailers did was pressure the IEMA to come up with the smaller, universal PC game packaging that's essentially the same size as a double-width DVD case.

As for the subject at hand, I own a few GH/PC/Platinum releases but mainly only because of the reasons theflea already mentioned; in the instances where they put additional content that wasn't found in the original release. I used to have my PS2 games displayed on racks and it was funny to see the lone VF5 Evolution among a sea of black label games.  ;D Like many others on here, I greatly prefer to get the original release if it's identical in content with the GH/PC version mainly due to visual uniformity (though anymore, most games end up in a tub/bin at some point  :P).

tripredacus

« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2016, 09:35:31 am »
Yeah I keep the Stonekeep box on top of the shelf. There is no spine label on it so it doesn't work to put in the shelf with the other boxes.

« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2016, 10:20:44 am »
Not really, just as long as the game works I am a happy camper. The PS1 puke green greatest hits is awful though.