Author Topic: Do you hate Greatest hits/Players choice games?  (Read 15721 times)

telly

Re: Do you hate Greatest hits/Players choice games?
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2016, 10:48:47 am »
I've always wondered, is there any way to tell if a GameCube disc is a Player's Choice or a black label? I've never been able to figure out the difference.
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2016, 11:08:54 am »
I had this conversation with some one recently.  I'm pretty sure that there is no recognizable difference between player's choice and black label releases for gamecube other than the cover art.

There are some exceptions like Smash Bros where the PC release is a different version as detailed on the version info printed on the disc.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2016, 12:39:10 pm »
Man I just hate getting a patched version with extra content and all the expansions for a third the original price. Those evil corporate devils have no respect for the authenticity of the experience.

Seriously though, I'm glad they relabeled these so that as collectors you can tell the difference without having to look at publishing dates/barcodes or cross their fingers that they are buying the version they are going after. And, as someone who just wants to play the game, I'm glad that a less expensive complete version is available for $20 and I don't have to pay $60, or $55 for used (when did that happen? Used use to mean a minimum of half price) sit through endless updates and shell out an additional $10 per DLC pack.

I think "definitive," enhanced, "plus," or game of the year editions are different, though, in my opinion. If there's nothing different between the original and GH version, I'll take the black label, but that's just an aesthetic preference.

I've heard that sometimes a Greatest Hits version will fix bugs or other errors. But they don't add content or anything.

Flashback2012

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2016, 12:42:04 pm »
I've heard that sometimes a Greatest Hits version will fix bugs or other errors. But they don't add content or anything.

I was going to point out Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution but the original game never got a stateside release so I suppose that doesn't count.  ;)

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2016, 12:54:45 pm »
Super Smash Bros. Melee had several revisions.  2 or 3 non-PC revisions and 1-2 PC revisions.

I think if it weren't for the fact that Nintendo over produced Super Smash Bros. Brawl by like a million copies (I'm probably underestimating that number), we'd have a Nintendo Selects version already.

EDIT: Almost a whole week later I realized I wrote Melee instead of Brawl.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:57:53 am by ignition365 »

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2016, 06:00:21 pm »
This is a funny thread - I too have an irrational dislike of these 'greatest' or 'platinum' hits or whatever each mfctr calls them.

I think it's because cosmetically you're taking a creative part of the game - it's cover - and lessening the art in it, converting some of that space to 'greatest hits' branding.

However, I chuck this concern out the window if the cost is a factor; I generally will do what I have to for saving $$, as collecting games is freaking expensive these days.

My one exception is that I love to get ones if they have extra content, like GOTY or special editions, love that. I saw above some posters don't consider that same thing tho
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:11:42 pm by 4cade »

pizzasafari

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2016, 08:09:05 pm »
I want to break every greatest hits/etc game I can find. They look horrible. Absolutely horrible. I like to make my games display look as neat and orderly as possible, and when you've got a wall of plain white/black text PS2 boxes then suddenly in the middle of it sticks out this horrible-looking black and grey thing it's infuriating. It really sticks out. I've replaced nearly all my Platinum PS2 games, I've only got one left to replace and I keep that one as far away from the others as possible.
Same with my PS1 games, I have to keep all my Platinums at the bottom of my PS1 shelves. I shouldn't have to do that. Making these gaudy-ass cases serves absolutely no purpose.
Then with Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3 they replace the nice artwork on the spine with that horrible green thing with white text or silver and yellow or whatever it is they do... WHY?!
Then I order a game off Ebay and they show the picture as the standard game and what you get in the post is a Platinum or Classics... or I specifically pick out a black label box in Game and when I take it to the counter they give me a Platinum one so they can put the black label one back on the shelf... goddamn it I could go on all day.

Yeah, I do. I hate them with every fiber of my being.  >:(

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2016, 12:01:13 pm »
I want to break every greatest hits/etc game I can find. They look horrible. Absolutely horrible. I like to make my games display look as neat and orderly as possible, and when you've got a wall of plain white/black text PS2 boxes then suddenly in the middle of it sticks out this horrible-looking black and grey thing it's infuriating. It really sticks out. I've replaced nearly all my Platinum PS2 games, I've only got one left to replace and I keep that one as far away from the others as possible.
Same with my PS1 games, I have to keep all my Platinums at the bottom of my PS1 shelves. I shouldn't have to do that. Making these gaudy-ass cases serves absolutely no purpose.
Then with Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3 they replace the nice artwork on the spine with that horrible green thing with white text or silver and yellow or whatever it is they do... WHY?!
Then I order a game off Ebay and they show the picture as the standard game and what you get in the post is a Platinum or Classics... or I specifically pick out a black label box in Game and when I take it to the counter they give me a Platinum one so they can put the black label one back on the shelf... goddamn it I could go on all day.

I think that's a difference between UK and US.  Our spine art varies from game to game pretty radically, but we always have that PS logo at the top of the spine.  I don't mind it because at least SOME THING is the same across the board.

Not that Genesis has any GH/PC equivalent, but this is why I hate the Genesis, they look horrible on shelves.  No conformity across the board.

telly

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2016, 12:32:55 pm »
I've always liked how the  Xbox One, Saturn, black label PS1, 3DS, etc. have consistent colors on the spines. It makes it look really cool and uniform on the shelf.
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

sworddude

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2016, 01:16:35 pm »

I think that's a difference between UK and US.  Our spine art varies from game to game pretty radically, but we always have that PS logo at the top of the spine.  I don't mind it because at least SOME THING is the same across the board.

That's not the point your not seeing the picture.

The us greatest hit cases look kinda decent even from the sides, the european ones are just grey and black really ugly and totally different while the US one looks decent.

european platinum

http://img.2dehands.be/f/normal/203762322-kingdom-hearts-platinum-playstation-2.jpg

grey black version

http://www.okazvente.fr/2265-thickbox_default/kingdom-hearts-platinum-ps2.jpg

USA greatest hits

http://thumbs2.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/391521082209_/Kingdom-Hearts-Greatest-Hits-Sony-PlayStation-2-2003.jpg

The european platinums are really ugly large borders and ugly sides, the only difference for the USA version is the red border otherwise pretty decent looking.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:18:39 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2016, 01:34:07 pm »

The us greatest hit cases look kinda decent even from the sides, the european ones are just grey and black really ugly and totally different while the US one looks decent.

european platinum

http://img.2dehands.be/f/normal/203762322-kingdom-hearts-platinum-playstation-2.jpg

grey black version

USA greatest hits

http://thumbs2.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/391521082209_/Kingdom-Hearts-Greatest-Hits-Sony-PlayStation-2-2003.jpg

The european platinums are really ugly large borders and ugly sides, the only difference for the USA version is the red border otherwise pretty decent looking.
HAI!!!

It doesn't matter what the point was.  I was just commenting on the difference. 

Share a picture of the platinum spine.  I, personally, don't care about what the GH/PC does to the cover art, I care about the spine art.

sworddude

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2016, 02:11:40 pm »

european platinum

grey black version

USA greatest hits

HAI!!!

It doesn't matter what the point was.  I was just commenting on the difference. 

Share a picture of the platinum spine.  I, personally, don't care about what the GH/PC does to the cover art, I care about the spine art.

To be fair the spine art is the same as the normal version of a ps2 game here in europe except that it is black and grey, pretty uniform but a different colour.

Ps logo lines etc all in the same spot for the spines.

http://thumbs2.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/311681626657_/KINGDOM-HEARTS-platinum-ps2.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9Y9atoeu6cIeqN3FX263kDPLa97pRKysgHVGQbV4Nph5duoG51Q

azure

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2016, 02:14:37 pm »

The GH version of Silent Hill 2 on PS2 adds the extra content from the Xbox release. There may be others like this, but this is the only one I'm aware of at this point in time.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2016, 02:45:32 pm »
If bad uniformity bothers people so much, do the big box collector's editions bother you guys, too?

sworddude

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2016, 02:48:42 pm »
If bad uniformity bothers people so much, do the big box collector's editions bother you guys, too?

Most collectors who collect those have trouble displaying them so my guess is that uniformity is the last thing that matters especially with the different box sizes and unique forms.