Author Topic: Is it just me or does this happen to other people at Gamestop?  (Read 975 times)

So I've had a relatively common experience at several of my local Gamestops whenever I am lucky enough to find a hard to find game there, specifically ones that they sell for considerably cheaper then what they typically fetch on Ebay.

So this evening I thought I'd swing by a local Gamestop just to look and I happened upon a PS3 game that I've seen only a couple of times since before its release, Trinity Universe. I'm pretty sure it is a hard to find game that goes for more on Ebay, look it up and sure enough it is. I decide to go ahead and buy it. I get up to the checkout and the guy working there cannot find the game anywhere. I seriously had to roll my eyes since this may be the fifth or sixth time this has happened to me over the past couple of years, and with only one exception it has happened with harder to find, rare titles.

I'm not sure if it is common for grabby employees to take these home and not take them out of inventory, or maybe I'm just that unlucky. Has anyone else experienced this?

maximo310

Re: Is it just me or does this happen to other people at Gamestop?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 01:22:32 am »
Oh yeah, I've had this problem multiple times in the last year.

One time was for a CIB copy of Otomedius Excellent which he couldn't find the disc, twice for Dragon's Lair Trilogy because one time the case went missing( but found later and sold to someone else even though I had a pickup at store request), and the other time because someone stole the case. It also happened on a copy of Dokapon Kingdom( w/ generic case), where they sold the game to someone already, and didn't bother to update the store inventory.
I did manage to get all of these for decent prices through other means ( or stores), but I still peeved that those incidents still happened.

I've had a bunch of other times where you put in a hold request, and then I go to the store, and they already had sold it off. It makes the whole system pointless if Gamestop won't  honor their customer's hold requests.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:25:09 am by maximo310 »

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 01:51:05 am »
Sort-of? I picked up Rodea for Wii U on launch and the guy had to go digging in the back room to find their only copy. But they've always seemed to have trouble putting out copies of new Wii U releases when they get them. If it's not something the kids working there really care about, it'll get misplaced, forgotten about, even thrown away. Literally, they've thrown out sealed new releases before.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 08:56:58 am »
As someone who pretty much only makes these types of purchases from Gamestop, I am very very familiar with this.

I actually went in one time buying some Wii game because the website said they had it.  I couldn't find it so I asked.  He looked in the system and said yes it says we have it, let me look.  So I went and just started looking around the store for what other crap they have that I might buy.  I was looking through the DS games where I found the DS version of the game.  I asked if he had the DS version, so he searched and said no.  TADA!  Some moron marked the trade in as a Wii game instead of a DS game.  This type of thing is more common.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:14:19 am »
Happened a couple of times
Last rebellion - found the case couldn't find the disc
Ghostbusters 360 - again found the case couldn't find the disc

Marth Amiibo - pre-ordered got sold before I could pick it up the night it was released.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 01:53:10 pm »
So far no. I guess I'm lucky !
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

tpugmire

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 03:52:12 pm »
No, but I rarely buy from GameStop. Occasionally, I'll preorder something if I get a gift card for my birthday or Christmas, but that's about it.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

kashell

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 11:34:11 am »
This has never happened to me in all of my years of going there.

rayne315

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 12:22:19 pm »
sounds like they need to fire some employees. nothing like this has ever happened to me and it is sounding like either the employee didn't actually search for it (just acted like it), wanted it for him/her self and said they didn't search for it, or one of the employees stole the disc.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 12:34:44 pm »
This happened to me a couple times back around the time that eb games was converting to gamestop (around 2005 or 2006). It was never anything to big that I got upset over and it didn't happen to me again until last winter.

I was in a gamestop looking for one of the neptunia games for vita. Now this location happens to be one of the only gamestops in the area that still has the cases for their psp games so while I was there I found a complete used copy of disgaea infinite so I decided to pick it up. I take it to the counter the guy spends maybe a minuet looking for it and comes back with a copy of disgaea afternoon of darkness and says it must have gotten traded in in the infinite case. Now I had seen the case for afternoon of darkness on the shelf so I mentioned it to him but he completely brushed me off. >:( So since it was holiday time they had a person working the floor and it happened to be someone that I was an acquaintance with so I explained the situation to her and she went to go check for the game it took her about the same amount of time for her to find the game. The whole time the first dude was telling her to not bother cause he had already checked. After she found it she handed it to him to ring me up. The entire time he has kinda mumbling to himself.  :) Anyway I got the impression from talking to my acquaintance later on that he may have wanted to buy the game himself.... so yeah kind of a dick move on his part.

Almost anything retail related comes down to the employees though I was pretty lucky up until recently most of the gamestops in my area had good staff one store I specifically went to just to chat with a friend sadly that's not the norm with gamestop and the staff in my area has changed drastically.