Author Topic: Nintendo NX Will Be a Gimmick System  (Read 3707 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Nintendo NX Will Be a Gimmick System
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 02:31:05 pm »
I'm just going to post as another forum member and not as an admin because, really, who needs to wave a mod flag around.

Anyway, I agree that the post title is a little clickbaity as the article itself doesn't use the word "gimmick." From the Reggie quote that was posted in the OP, it just sounds like he's calling the system "unique" which, honestly, is vague as heck and ironic considering that the article is about being better about communicating information.

But again, does any of that break any rules? We speculate on stuff constantly here. Last I checked, that's normal forum behavior. So why am I getting attacked and treated like I did something wrong?

kashell

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 02:39:03 pm »
The letters "N" and "X" next to each other have a checkered history on this website. Usually there is some sort of back n' forth that results in more than just speculation.

Just my two cents.

@dreama: I just want a traditional Nintendo console that doesn't use motion controls and/or peripherals as its selling point. I look at the Game Cube as an example because it could have up to four people playing, had a normal controller and had some great first and third party titles.

Hashtag, wishful thinking.

desocietas

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 02:57:21 pm »
I just want a traditional Nintendo console that doesn't use motion controls and/or peripherals as its selling point. I look at the Game Cube as an example because it could have up to four people playing, had a normal controller and had some great first and third party titles.

I know that feel. I've been wanting to exercise more and thought about bringing out the Wii Fit to try out with my bf. He said he had a second balance board and was really surprised when I told him that it doesn't support more than one. Sometimes it feels like we're going backwards with some of the limitations we're getting with the newer systems, but maybe it's because the big companies aren't interested in having us play with friends in the same room.

and @burningdoom, you didn't do anything wrong, and I wasn't attacking you (apologies if that's how you felt). I was just saying that I can understand the frustration of others seeing a title like that and thinking that there was factual basis to go with it.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 03:02:39 pm »
The letters "N" and "X" next to each other have a checkered history on this website. Usually there is some sort of back n' forth that results in more than just speculation.

Just my two cents.

@dreama: I just want a traditional Nintendo console that doesn't use motion controls and/or peripherals as its selling point. I look at the Game Cube as an example because it could have up to four people playing, had a normal controller and had some great first and third party titles.

im fine with motion controls in games I just don't want ANOTHER repeat of the waggle wand. if we can have a traditional controller that has the ability to track itself and have that be the motion controls that would be perfect.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 03:02:51 pm »
I'm right there with Kashell. I want a well-built, traditional console from Nintendo. One that third-parties will find easy to support. Nintendo's best years were between the NES and the GameCube, IMO.

And Reggie using the word, "uniqueness", in his quote, makes some very solid evidence for this being a gimmick console. Which disappoints me greatly. That word may not tell us exactly what is gonna make it unique, but it does tell us that this is not going to be a traditional console.

And I'm not a Nintendo hater. I own most Nintendo systems minus the Virtual Boy and the N64. This is me being wary with Nintendo after the last two console letdowns.

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 03:16:06 pm »
If it's going to be a "hybrid", which seems very likely now, then to me it's obvious that it's going to need good communication and information about telling people what it is and how it works.

desocietas

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 03:24:49 pm »
If it's going to be a "hybrid", which seems very likely now, then to me it's obvious that it's going to need good communication and information about telling people what it is and how it works.

Indeed. The current way they're trying to communicate is not good so far and leads people to speculate more than anything, and not necessarily for the positive.

"Unique" is such a throwaway word to me but it's really the only thing Nintendo consoles have since they're not interested in providing the kind of specs that come with PlayStation, XBox, and PC. Gimmick has such a negative connotation, and while I agree it usually doesn't work, I remember feeling like the dual screens of my DS Lite were really ingenious. Even if the bottom screen hadn't been a touch screen, I think it still would've been great due to giving devs a different way of presenting a game to a player without necessarily adding needless functions.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 03:41:28 pm »
It's funny that they're saying they need to better explain the NX, but at the same time have left us completely in the dark. There's not much else to do but speculate about the system.

kashell

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 04:07:03 pm »

I know that feel. I've been wanting to exercise more and thought about bringing out the Wii Fit to try out with my bf. He said he had a second balance board and was really surprised when I told him that it doesn't support more than one. Sometimes it feels like we're going backwards with some of the limitations we're getting with the newer systems, but maybe it's because the big companies aren't interested in having us play with friends in the same room.

Wait. You can't work out together using the Wii Fit system because it only recognizes one board?

That...seems like a really foolish decision.

dreama1

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 04:20:20 pm »

Just my two cents.

The gamecube was a failure. The Wii showed a future. A traditional console could never stand against the Xbox one and PS4 unless they offer the market something unique as product as was the Wii.

desocietas

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 04:21:00 pm »
Yeah... I looked it up and apparently it's because the board basically acts as two Wiimotes while you use another Wiimote for inputs and such. Makes sense, but also dumb :/

There are some multiplayer games available on the Wii Fit, but it either involves taking turns or not using the Balance Board.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 04:26:12 pm »
I didn't see anything in this article that even remotely confirms anything. I don't think I've ever seen so many rumors and speculation about any console, ever, as much as I have for the NX. I will be very disappointing if it does end up relying on a gimmick like the Wii and Wii U, and depending on what it is I may or may not buy one for a while.

Nintendo has something that no other company has and that is a lineup of very strong IPs. With that said, I am hoping that Nintendo just releases a powerful home console, akin to the PS4 or X1, normal controller, and makes it very easy for third party devs to create good games on. I would shed tears of joy if this happens, but my gut tells me they wont.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 04:33:43 pm »
Here's how I see it, it can't be seen as a gimmick until we know what "it" is. The way I look at it the d-pad, analog control sticks, rumble, and triggers could all be seen as gimmicks if they did not take off as they did. And honestly i'my one of those weird ones who think motion controls have there place in games namely light gun games, he'll if implemented properly any shooter. Splatoon has made it hard to go back to regular shooter mechanics and I personally prefer over mouse and keyboard. Basically don't call it a gimmicks until we know what it is

tpugmire

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 04:44:21 pm »
I think Reggie's comment about doing a better job explaining the new console is partly in reference to the Wii U. Some people STILL think it's an add on for the Wii.  Everyone knows there was very little marketing for the Wii U and with the similar name, it confused a lot of people.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

hexen

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2016, 06:03:43 pm »
Today I learned Burningdoom can literally see the future. That, or his dad works for Nintendo.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!