Author Topic: Nintendo NX Will Be a Gimmick System  (Read 3705 times)

Re: Nintendo NX Will Be a Gimmick System
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 06:13:53 pm »
With the rumored aspects of the system, it certainly would be unique, seemingly being a hybrid portable/console. There's no way Nintendo is gonna directly compete with Sony and Microsoft, there's no point to that and would end up in them failing again.  They aren't just gonna release a third wheel, especially as both Sony and Microsoft are about to release more powerful consoles in a year.  Nintendo has to find ways to compete in the market, and seemingly banking on combining what's good with a console, with their successful handheld market, to hopefully release something that stands out.  I know I've wanted more of a focused console from them, more traditional, but I understand how it wouldn't work for them.

We should hopefully find out next month the full details with the NX.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2016, 06:19:32 pm »
Today I learned Burningdoom can literally see the future. That, or his dad works for Nintendo.

Just doing some basic logic. Reggie is quoted in the article as saying that they have to a better job explaining it's "uniqueness". That means it's not going to be a traditional console. Not saying I know what the uniqueness is, exactly, but it definitely says "gimmick" to me.

kashell

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 06:47:21 pm »
The letters "N" and "X" next to each other have a checkered history on this website. Usually there is some sort of back n' forth that results in more than just speculation.

Just my two cents.

@dreama: I just want a traditional Nintendo console that doesn't use motion controls and/or peripherals as its selling point. I look at the Game Cube as an example because it could have up to four people playing, had a normal controller and had some great first and third party titles.

Hashtag, wishful thinking.
The gamecube was a failure. The Wii showed a future. A traditional console could never stand against the Xbox one and PS4 unless they offer the market something unique as product as was the Wii.

In comparison to the other two, the Game Cube didn't do as well but "failure" isn't accurate. A traditional console would stand a much better chance, even with the PS4 and Xbone.

What kind of future did the Wii show?

desocietas

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 07:18:43 pm »
The letters "N" and "X" next to each other have a checkered history on this website. Usually there is some sort of back n' forth that results in more than just speculation.

Just my two cents.

@dreama: I just want a traditional Nintendo console that doesn't use motion controls and/or peripherals as its selling point. I look at the Game Cube as an example because it could have up to four people playing, had a normal controller and had some great first and third party titles.

The gamecube was a failure. The Wii showed a future. A traditional console could never stand against the Xbox one and PS4 unless they offer the market something unique as product as was the Wii.

In comparison to the other two, the Game Cube didn't do as well but "failure" isn't accurate. A traditional console would stand a much better chance, even with the PS4 and Xbone.

Despite the "failure," I feel like we have more "classics" and "must-haves" on the GC than we do on the Wii. Some really amazing titles on the GC still make it a desired console (in my opinion) while the Wii is forgettable and more so now that there's a Wii U.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 07:59:30 pm »

Just my two cents.

Despite the "failure," I feel like we have more "classics" and "must-haves" on the GC than we do on the Wii. Some really amazing titles on the GC still make it a desired console (in my opinion) while the Wii is forgettable and more so now that there's a Wii U.

Absolutely agree with this. The GC's few RPGs, for example, are so unique and captivating.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 08:09:37 pm »

Just my two cents.

This.

I still own an Wii, and there are good games on it. But I feel those good games would have been 10x better if they had traditional controllers.

And we definitely would have gotten better third-party support on the Wii if it was more traditional. That is to say, we would have gotten more games that we saw on PS3 and XBox 360, because third-parties did give us a lot of shovelware on the Wii.

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2016, 08:23:45 pm »

Just my two cents.

I wouldn't call the GameCube a failure, sure it wasn't on par with PS2 by any means but what really was. PS2 was way ahead of its time. I think GameCube was more memorable than OG Xbox imo. OG xbox had the graphics and the sheer hardware specs that made it special but it wasn't as rounded of a system imo.  I find myself going back to cube more.  It had amazing 1st party titles, a decent variety of third party titles by Nintendo standards and one of my favorite controllers ever :D.

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2016, 08:36:03 pm »
I wouldn't call the GameCube a failure, sure it wasn't on par with PS2 by any means but what really was. PS2 was way ahead of its time. I think GameCube was more memorable than OG Xbox imo. OG xbox had the graphics and the sheer hardware specs that made it special but it wasn't as rounded of a system imo.  I find myself going back to cube more.  It had amazing 1st party titles, a decent variety of third party titles by Nintendo standards and one of my favorite controllers ever :D.

The failure isn't really about it being a bad system, just that it was a sales disaster.  It sold less than the original Xbox and the PS2 outsold it by nearly 7 times the amount.  It was an alright console, but it bombed pretty bad.  If the Wii U hadn't of bombed worse, it would've been the worst selling Nintendo console.  That is if we don't count their little Virtual Boy sideshow.

dreama1

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2016, 08:53:35 pm »

Just my two cents.

Ps2 was behind the times, it was inferior to the Xbox, and Gamecube in power. Apparently even weaker than the DC in some ways. We all know what the Ps2 had and nothing else. You're dead out of luck with GC if you don't like first party games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 08:57:56 pm »
^ GameCube had way more third-party support than the Wii U. Not as much as the PS2, granted, but you were far from out of luck if you didn't like first-party titles.

dreama1

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2016, 09:57:51 am »
^ GameCube had way more third-party support than the Wii U. Not as much as the PS2, granted, but you were far from out of luck if you didn't like first-party titles.
Sega and capcom.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2016, 10:47:46 am »
Sega and capcom.

Way more than Sega and Capcom. It had all the movie tie-in games, superhero games, WWE games, Star Wars games, tony hawk games, RPGs, racing games, sports titles, Dreamcast ports, and others.

dreama1

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2016, 05:49:30 pm »
Sega and capcom.

Way more than Sega and Capcom. It had all the movie tie-in games, superhero games, WWE games, Star Wars games, tony hawk games, RPGs, racing games, sports titles, Dreamcast ports, and others.

They're not exactly fap fap game genres, or games i'd dare own or play, but fair enough I suppose it counts as "3rd party".

Maybe if I word it better this way instead, They're the only quality 3rd party publishers, why bother with those 3rd party genres/games you mentioned above if it has superior ports on the PS2, and Xbox of the same game. You're dead out of luck with the gamecube if the 1st party Nintendo games don't interest you, or Capcoms (resident evil series) and Sega's (sonic series) doesn't exactly make you water from the mouth if you haven't already played it 9000 times somewhere else.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 05:52:38 pm by dreama1 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2016, 06:48:58 pm »
^ May not be your cup of tea. But I like the WWE, Tony Hawk, and superhero games all a lot. They sell well, so I'm not alone. And RPGs are popular with most hardcore gamers. The Dreamcast ports are also sought-after by the hardcore gamers.

GameCube is actually a better hardware than the PS2. While the XBox versions are the best, often, the GameCube versions are usually 2nd best, so not really inferior ports, most of the time.

Own a Wii U, then you'll really know what poor 3rd-party support is.

Warmsignal

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2016, 11:21:19 pm »
Does anyone actually there's a slight chance that Nintendo would design a PS4 or XBOX type console of their own? The answer is no. For some, that means gimmick. I'm fine with unique, as long as unique isn't made a necessary part of every game. Gives us options.