Author Topic: Favourite Sports Video Game  (Read 3145 times)

sin2beta

Re: Favourite Sports Video Game
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 06:37:07 pm »
Another vote for NBA Jam here.

As a more simulation focused sports game, I always enjoyed the 2K sports series from the dreamcast days. They were the first simulation style sports games I got into.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

pacpix

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 11:29:29 pm »
MLB Slugfest is my favorite by far.  I enjoy normal sports games, but they get a lot more fun when you add arcade elements like punching basemen to steal bases.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 11:42:51 pm »
The old NBA Jam out of the arcade I dumped so many damn qrts into that machine.

That's because that game cheats!  It cheats hard!  I played it not to long ago at a Arkadia in Fayetteville, AR.  I was up by about 20.  Then, the computer went nuts in the 4th quarter. 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 01:17:10 pm »
WWE games and Tony Hawk games. Those are about as far as I personally go into sports games. I've never been a big sports fan. But those games are always fun!

I do also enjoy the occasional racing game, when I'm in the mood. But not enough to play full price for one.

shepard11

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 01:02:00 am »
The old NBA Jam out of the arcade I dumped so many damn qrts into that machine.

That's because that game cheats!  It cheats hard!  I played it not to long ago at a Arkadia in Fayetteville, AR.  I was up by about 20.  Then, the computer went nuts in the 4th quarter.

Oh I don't doubt that for a second. Fatal Fury was that way too. Get about 3rd guy in and the game is like "oh wait ya still got money I'll fix that for ya"

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 08:34:40 am »
Mike Tyson's Punchout for NES .Put a lot of time into that game, beat him only once years ago by decision

tripredacus

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 10:07:05 am »
I have 3, it is too close to call.

ESPN Baseball (PS2)
This game was one where I decided, I was going to play an entire full season. I think I got a third of the way into the season when the disc stopped working. It had taken some time to find it again. This was when PS2 was still current, so piles of sports games were not floating around for cheap like today. One of the things I like about this game is that you can switch teams at any point during the game. I do not like to pitch, so I could just bat for both teams. Roster management is pretty good, doesn't take up a ton of space on the memory card (although I did end up making a dedicated sports games memory card) and it was easy to start the season with the custom roster. I had made the custom roster a long time ago, it probably took 8-10 hours to do it.

NHL06 (Windows)
I loved playing EA Sports' NHL franchise. Tons of hours went into 2000, 2001, 2002 and 05. NHL06 came out at a magical time. The local team had changed their jerseys and was playing really good. And the modding community was able to bring more realism into the game. With the help of mods, I was able to update NHL06 so that it had the correct rosters, actual uniforms, actual ice surfaces and board, with ads and everything. One guy did a huge research project to find out what every team's goal, intermission and miscellaneous music played during gamees were and get that into the game. Then I learned to mod the game myself and ended up being the only person doing roster updates. It started to stink from them, doing rosters for a game mod is like a second job. You have to check and do the changes every day, even weekends. If you took a day or two off, you just doubled or tripled your workload. I eventually quit because you get to the point where you can't play the game anymore. It was still a blast!

Major League Manager (DOS)
This game was first released in 1986 and was re-released with updated rosters in 1989. It is pretty much all text based, has historical rosters and you can even create new teams and players. The coolest part was that you could just enter a player's stats into the game and it would figure out how good they were. No fiddling with speed/power/whatever ratings like modern games. I got this game around 1992 and have been playing it ever since! Recently I had made a new (updated/custom) version that took around 8 months of research and work. It is not 100% yet, so I haven't released it anywhere. This is by far my favorite sports game.

desocietas

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 01:05:40 pm »
NBA Jam
Tony Hawk's Underground
Pigskin 621 A.D.
Mutant League Hockey
Hot Shots Golf (can't recall which one)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 03:49:30 pm »
NBA Hangtime.
Sure, NBA Jam came first, but Hangtime does everything better. I played the hell out of my N64 port.
And yes, the AI cheats, but that's part of the challenge. Whoever's losing gets stat boosts to make the game more competitive. I normally don't like it when the AI blatantly cheats in sports games (especially racing games where the AI cars magically stay close behind even when you should be way ahead), but I don't have a problem with Jam/Hangtime because human players also get the same boosts when they're losing.

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 08:42:45 am »
Rocket League?

It's soccer, with cars.  That's totally sportsball right?

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 10:25:56 am »
I forgot one:
Super Baseball 2020 on SNES.
That game is FUN.

stlgamer75

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 02:25:32 am »
I'm old.

Baseball Stars on the NES