Author Topic: New, looking for advice/guidance  (Read 2874 times)

rayne315

Re: New, looking for advice/guidance
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 11:22:06 am »
yep, yep, yep.
don't make a mistake of collecting a bunch of cheap crap for the sake of having a bunch of cheap crap. you can  have 1000 games, but if 800 of them are $1 shit titles, no one is impressed and neither will you be.
it's not worth it.

I do not collect for other people, instead myself. So I do not care if other people are not impressed by my 800 $1 games. :p

^ this

also I am impressed with 800 shit titles. don't forget that a lot of our hidden gems from previous generations have been part of those $1 shit games list at one point or another. being bargain binned out on the cheap just to get rid of all the unwanted copies.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

Warmsignal

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 12:03:21 pm »
yep, yep, yep.
don't make a mistake of collecting a bunch of cheap crap for the sake of having a bunch of cheap crap. you can  have 1000 games, but if 800 of them are $1 shit titles, no one is impressed and neither will you be.
it's not worth it.

I do not collect for other people, instead myself. So I do not care if other people are not impressed by my 800 $1 games. :p

^ this

also I am impressed with 800 shit titles. don't forget that a lot of our hidden gems from previous generations have been part of those $1 shit games list at one point or another. being bargain binned out on the cheap just to get rid of all the unwanted copies.

I'm usually not impressed by sheer number, but I will concur that there are a lot of games that are inexpensive/cheap and are not just crap. To me, there is a fairly clear difference between obscure games/budget titles/"bad games" and shovelware. Shovelware being stuff that is an obvious cash grab on an pre-existing idea or property (not associated with games), done by some fly-by-night game studio and pushed out banking on the popularity of whatever the game is piggybacking on. Sometimes shovelware isn't terrible (like when Capcom did games based on Disney movies), but having a collection chock full of that stuff just drives me nuts. I can't help but question why anyone would buy a ton of that stuff. That, and having tons of sports if you're not actually a sports fan.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:13:09 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 12:59:50 pm »
yep, yep, yep.
it's not worth it.

Word.

I'm explicitly going out and finding shit games because I know a lot of shit games don't get a lot of coverage or videos and stuff because people didn't play them.

At some point I'm going to play through (as many as I can bother) with some people and upload the shenanigans to youtube or something.

necrosexual

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 01:45:06 pm »
i have started a debate with my tired talk

i probably should have said $1 shovelware to be absolutely clear. there's a lot of titles out there that aren't worth your dollar. so unless you're a hoarder, or a masochist, why even buy it?

(and i'm pretty sure i was trying to say something along the lines of "no one is impressed but most of all, you won't be", but i was tired, and i'm still pretty sure 'impressed' is only half of what i'm looking for. i'm bad with words and i was exhausted last night. who fucking knows.
although it does feel neato for people to be like "wow damn that's nice" to me so w/e)

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

maximo310

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 10:35:42 pm »
I pretty much agree with necrosexual here.

The cheap crap usually means shovelware, so with my Wii collection I wouldn't waste time picking up stuff like Billy the Wizard or Anubis II, or Bubsy 3D for the PS1,  when there are much more enjoyable titles on the retrospective systems to spend my time with. There can be cheap hidden gems within those systems too, but its better to do some research on the library first before buying stuff.

To be fair, it is your money and you can choose what to spend it on.  But if you wanna play a crappy game, then I'd reccomend to just emulate it and/or do a video on it.

sworddude

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 06:34:35 am »

i probably should have said $1 shovelware to be absolutely clear. there's a lot of titles out there that aren't worth your dollar. so unless you're a hoarder, or a masochist, why even buy it?

there are plenty of titles under $ 15 wich are basicly trash. I'd say at the very least 80%

Ofcourse there are trash titles above this value but i'm just saying that not only dollar titles are trash.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

necrosexual

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 07:08:08 am »

there are plenty of titles under $ 15 wich are basicly trash. I'd say at the very least 80%

Ofcourse there are trash titles above this value but i'm just saying that not only dollar titles are trash.

well, yes.
but i speak from a little bit of experience when i say that... if you begin late (i didn't start collecting until i was ~15?) that you'll be highly tempted to inflate your collection number with cheap $1 trash. the problem is, is then you still have 'all these games, but nothing to play' syndrome. and that sucks. but it's really tempting to buy shitty games that are vvv cheap just to inflate your numbers. or, well, it was for me. maybe not everyone, but then, that's why i went ahead and warned ;'D

there are definitely plenty of $5-15 games that are trash, many of which are featured as shitty games by people like james rolfe or angry joe (ride to hell retribution is like $20+ on ebay because of him, after all, from a quick look). but it's hard to pad out a collection with $10+ games. it's easy to amass 50 games quickly if you just buy a bunch of $1 junk. while most people aren't in collecting for a number game... i very much was, and i imagine that many people might be starting out. you change as you get more into it. where my goal once was "have a fuckload of games!" it's now more along the lines of "have at my disposal any game i could ever want to play, when i want to play it". it's a much healthier reason to have a collection, and maybe i'm an outlier and speaking to the wind, but maybe i'm not, and that's why i mentioned it.

OTOH it depends on the console we're speaking about too. OG xbox's entire library sparing about 20-30 games is under $15 and psp is very close the same, but then you have GCN where any title worth having is over $15. you can argue that the majority of games on any console are trash tho, maybe even 80%, but that's a lot more subjective and a subject for a different topic ;')

also, i didn't mention it, but my other advice would be: don't get overwhelmed. this goes with the 'don't overpay for shit just cause it's there' that i mentioned in my tired initial post, but it's a little different. it's easy to write a list of every game you want for a console(s) but it's also easy to get overwhelmed when looking at pages of 'games i want eventually'. it's easier to get games as the urge hits. my buying patterns usually reflect this... ie, i want some shmup action, i buy shmups. i want some grand RTS, i buy grand RTS games. i want JRPGs....... well i always want JRPGs so... well oops. i want a sonic title, i bought sonic generations. and so on. it's a little different now that i'm in clean-up stage on a console (PS3 is about to be finished) and gamestop is likely to be phasing out last gen consoles soon, but i've only got ~30 to go before i close the books on that, so...

my point is, is take is easy. you don't amass a 1000 game collection overnight... or over a year. it just won't happen. plenty of people get big collections by only spending $100 a month, or buying say 3 games a month, or whatever their parameters are. so, too, will you, given enough time.

sworddude

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 09:02:22 am »

well, yes.
but i speak from a little bit of experience when i say that... if you begin late (i didn't start collecting until i was ~15?) that you'll be highly tempted to inflate your collection number with cheap $1 trash. the problem is, is then you still have 'all these games, but nothing to play' syndrome. and that sucks. but it's really tempting to buy shitty games that are vvv cheap just to inflate your numbers. or, well, it was for me. maybe not everyone, but then, that's why i went ahead and warned ;'D

there are definitely plenty of $5-15 games that are trash, many of which are featured as shitty games by people like james rolfe or angry joe (ride to hell retribution is like $20+ on ebay because of him, after all, from a quick look). but it's hard to pad out a collection with $10+ games. it's easy to amass 50 games quickly if you just buy a bunch of $1 junk. while most people aren't in collecting for a number game... i very much was, and i imagine that many people might be starting out. you change as you get more into it. where my goal once was "have a fuckload of games!" it's now more along the lines of "have at my disposal any game i could ever want to play, when i want to play it". it's a much healthier reason to have a collection, and maybe i'm an outlier and speaking to the wind, but maybe i'm not, and that's why i mentioned it.

OTOH it depends on the console we're speaking about too. OG xbox's entire library sparing about 20-30 games is under $15 and psp is very close the same, but then you have GCN where any title worth having is over $15. you can argue that the majority of games on any console are trash tho, maybe even 80%, but that's a lot more subjective and a subject for a different topic ;')

also, i didn't mention it, but my other advice would be: don't get overwhelmed. this goes with the 'don't overpay for shit just cause it's there' that i mentioned in my tired initial post, but it's a little different. it's easy to write a list of every game you want for a console(s) but it's also easy to get overwhelmed when looking at pages of 'games i want eventually'. it's easier to get games as the urge hits. my buying patterns usually reflect this... ie, i want some shmup action, i buy shmups. i want some grand RTS, i buy grand RTS games. i want JRPGs....... well i always want JRPGs so... well oops. i want a sonic title, i bought sonic generations. and so on. it's a little different now that i'm in clean-up stage on a console (PS3 is about to be finished) and gamestop is likely to be phasing out last gen consoles soon, but i've only got ~30 to go before i close the books on that, so...

my point is, is take is easy. you don't amass a 1000 game collection overnight... or over a year. it just won't happen. plenty of people get big collections by only spending $100 a month, or buying say 3 games a month, or whatever their parameters are. so, too, will you, given enough time.

I started collecting even later at age 18.  a little bit over 3 years ago very late when prices are already pretty high.

I disagree that one gets tempted by 1 dollar titles, people who collect such titles do it on purpose and like to collect everything no matter how bad it is just to have it because it is yet another ps2 title that they don´t have  ::), however there are also collectors who collect what they want even when they are starting out very late. If you don´t want to collect everything I highly doubt one would want a trash 1$ title to begin with when for example a beginner is looking for a title like super metroid or mario bros.

My piece of advice is to be patient and to collect titles that you consider you actually want to play. Even today it is possible to get a personal quality collection for a bargain price.  It is pretty satisfying after all aquiring awesome titles for basicly next to nothing. Also if one has the money you should just spend it if you really need something bad not to mention that there are good cheap titles out there wich are better than the more expensive ones. I do disagree though that every 15$ + gamecube title is worth owning unless one goes for a full set.

Amassing a huge game collection is pretty easy with the cheaper titles that is. If i would have done the same thing my collection would be 4000 games in excellent shape cib at the very least without a sweat while still retaining the titles that I already have for pretty much the same price since overall they didn't fetch all that much even for the older stuff it would have hardly made a difference. I can´t stand trash titles so i always sell those in big lots to get rid of them as fast as possible.

Even with other methods aquiring 1000 games while spending like 50 a month is pretty easy especially for certain consoles where you can get like 100 games for 40 $ or less since nobody wants it and the hoarders eventually already have those titles. I´d say that if someone tries hard and collects everything 1000 games can be done in a few months especially when you are just beginning. Without any effort I´d say 1 year is enough for 1000+ games if you collect everything.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:22:52 am by sworddude »

Warmsignal

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 10:08:47 am »

it's a little different now that i'm in clean-up stage on a console (PS3 is about to be finished) and gamestop is likely to be phasing out last gen consoles soon, but i've only got ~30 to go before i close the books on that, so...

This is a little off-topic, but, I think if GS clears out last gen their stores will look really pathetic. I just recently started to look at what they have for current gen, and man, is the selection small or what? I'm surprised at how little has come out in the past 3 years. Basically it's all triple-a, hd collections, and then a little bit of niche stuff. There's no diversity in the market anymore for retail games. I thought it was just Wii U that had a problem, but I think it's all of them really. If GS gets rid of PS3/360, they could very well cut their store size in less than half.

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 10:38:10 am »
Many of the best games out there are affordable (under $15), mostly because they made so many of these games they are readily available to most people who want to play them. With that said, there is a lot of cheap filler titles out there as well that you'd really only buy to make your collection beefier or because you have some strange attachment to that game.

I am with the crowd that looks at people with a ton of filler titles and is not impressed in the slightest. I know several people with complete or near complete collections of games for specific consoles and it always diminishes my excitement when I see a few excellent games scattered throughout mixed in with crap, shovelware, and titles that nobody would want otherwise. This is part of the reason why I've never gone for a complete set of any console, even the Dreamcast which is my favorite console and the only system I've ever even thought of doing this with.

With all that said, I have no problem with how people choose to collect. My style is quality over quantity (even though I have over 1800 games). but if someone just likes picking up anything they don't already have and that makes them happy, that is totally fine by me. There are many types and ways to collect, and there is no right or wrong way imo.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 01:01:29 pm »
I say just collect what you like and want to play. You'll end up happier. Then if some stuff happens to climb in value, cool.

But trying to collect based on value, is just gonna lead to frustration (because it's getting more and more competitive out there, it's not the early 2000s anymore), and disappointment when you get that $200 game and it ends up sucking or faulty.

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 01:09:06 pm »
I just basically follow 2 rules when buying games.

1.  The price is roughly half or lower of the current going rate, because if I'm stupid and it's a dupe or I don't want it any more, worst case I minimize my loss.  This extends to making it difficult to buy up tons of games and spend tons of money because it needs to be a good price.

2.  This is negotiable depending on how cheap the game is.  It must be a game I could see myself playing and having a good time.  Either in it being a fun game, or just makes for a fun(ny) experience when playing with other people.

Basically try not to spend too much and buy what you want.

necrosexual

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 08:43:17 pm »

well, yes.

I started collecting even later at age 18.  a little bit over 3 years ago very late when prices are already pretty high.

I disagree that one gets tempted by 1 dollar titles, people who collect such titles do it on purpose and like to collect everything no matter how bad it is just to have it because it is yet another ps2 title that they don´t have  ::), however there are also collectors who collect what they want even when they are starting out very late. If you don´t want to collect everything I highly doubt one would want a trash 1$ title to begin with when for example a beginner is looking for a title like super metroid or mario bros.

My piece of advice is to be patient and to collect titles that you consider you actually want to play. Even today it is possible to get a personal quality collection for a bargain price.  It is pretty satisfying after all aquiring awesome titles for basicly next to nothing. Also if one has the money you should just spend it if you really need something bad not to mention that there are good cheap titles out there wich are better than the more expensive ones. I do disagree though that every 15$ + gamecube title is worth owning unless one goes for a full set.

Amassing a huge game collection is pretty easy with the cheaper titles that is. If i would have done the same thing my collection would be 4000 games in excellent shape cib at the very least without a sweat while still retaining the titles that I already have for pretty much the same price since overall they didn't fetch all that much even for the older stuff it would have hardly made a difference. I can´t stand trash titles so i always sell those in big lots to get rid of them as fast as possible.

Even with other methods aquiring 1000 games while spending like 50 a month is pretty easy especially for certain consoles where you can get like 100 games for 40 $ or less since nobody wants it and the hoarders eventually already have those titles. I´d say that if someone tries hard and collects everything 1000 games can be done in a few months especially when you are just beginning. Without any effort I´d say 1 year is enough for 1000+ games if you collect everything.

you misread what i said. i said that every gcn title worth owning IS over $15, not that every $15+ title on gcn is worth owning.

and don't be so hostile. YMMV, but i gave a word of warning is all, based on my experience. no need to go full whale. that is all. no need to buy $1 titles just to have them, which was my point in the beginning. not that everyone does, but from my experience... don't fall into that thought trap. it's easy to fall into it, but it's NOT worth it. it's the same as the PC upgrade trap... it's really easy to fall into, and it happens fast if you're not aware it could happen. everyone knows about the PC upgrade trap... and more importantly, the steam cheap-ass sale traps, too. don't fall into the same patterns. $1 cheap-ass games are alluring, but if they're trash and all, you're still stuck on 'all these games but nothing to play' problems. if you want to finish off a complete console, the cheap-ass $1 games can come later. and someone new to collecting probably shouldn't jump straight into full console collections anyway... it's a fast-track to burnout/being overwhelmed. they CAN, but it just takes proper planning. it'd be better to start slower and then realise you can finish off a console, than to start out with that as your goal and realise there are a metric fuckton of games you still haven't got despite having 200+ games.

also, YMMV on the fast acquisition of games. in today's climate, it is vvv hard to find 100 games for $40 that isn't full of shovelware or some shit. which is exactly what i'm advising against. it depends too much on location and if you care about loose discs and other things.if you spend $50/month and are fortunate enough to have a local shop that isn't ebay prices and find plenty of $5 games that aren't beat all to shit, you're still only getting 120 games a year. yeah, maybe if you can blow through $1000 on cheap games, or if you're really good at the yard sale game, but a novice probably WON'T be.

it's a little different now that i'm in clean-up stage on a console (PS3 is about to be finished) and gamestop is likely to be phasing out last gen consoles soon, but i've only got ~30 to go before i close the books on that, so...

This is a little off-topic, but, I think if GS clears out last gen their stores will look really pathetic. I just recently started to look at what they have for current gen, and man, is the selection small or what? I'm surprised at how little has come out in the past 3 years. Basically it's all triple-a, hd collections, and then a little bit of niche stuff. There's no diversity in the market anymore for retail games. I thought it was just Wii U that had a problem, but I think it's all of them really. If GS gets rid of PS3/360, they could very well cut their store size in less than half.
yep, for sure, it'll look rather dull, but if you look around, they're crammed full of other things and they've been edging towards selling accessories more and more anyway. so that's why i think they may phase out the old gen and set up phone displays and accessories displays. they've been taking in phones for years. they're getting cricket employees in their stores.

i'm not a market analyst by any stretch but...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:48:37 pm by necrosexual »

sworddude

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 03:53:29 am »

also, YMMV on the fast acquisition of games. in today's climate, it is vvv hard to find 100 games for $40 that isn't full of shovelware or some shit. which is exactly what i'm advising against. it depends too much on location and if you care about loose discs and other things.if you spend $50/month and are fortunate enough to have a local shop that isn't ebay prices and find plenty of $5 games that aren't beat all to shit, you're still only getting 120 games a year. yeah, maybe if you can blow through $1000 on cheap games, or if you're really good at the yard sale game, but a novice probably WON'T be.

I think you misunderstood me there, if you collect everything including shovel ware, getting 1000 games is an absolute walk in the park, I never said getting 1000 quality titles is easy (unless you like everything) but not impossible for a nice price or even bargain price.