Author Topic: The Best Places to Find Classic Games?  (Read 942 times)

telekill

The Best Places to Find Classic Games?
« on: February 10, 2021, 11:28:06 am »
I'm currently trying to track down a copy of Micro Machines on the Sega Game Gear with an instruction manual for no more than $40-$50. Seems like a tall ask given that very few copies of the game even show as still having the manual. I'm wondering if there other places to look than what I have listed below as these are my more frequented places to shop for retro/classic games. Where do you browse for your collections?

www.ebay.com <-- Sadly, my usual go to.
www.estarland.com <-- stock can be very limited but great store.
www.etsy.com <-- blew me away they had retro stuff as I thought it was mostly a craft shop.
www.amazon.com <-- very few in comparison to the other locations.

What are your go to places?

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Re: The Best Places to Find Classic Games?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 04:39:23 pm »
I only buy from local brick and mortar retro stores there's 10 within a 100 mile radius of me. But I only go to one regularly and 2 others every so often.the rest very rarely.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 05:05:02 pm »
I only buy from local brick and mortar retro stores there's 10 within a 100 mile radius of me. But I only go to one regularly and 2 others every so often.the rest very rarely.

You're quite lucky. We used to have a few. Now there's none.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 10:32:38 pm »
I only buy from yard sales, thrift stores, and auctions.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 10:35:18 pm »

You're quite lucky. We used to have a few. Now there's none.
That sucks.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 04:18:39 pm »
eBay is my #1 source for CIB games.

We have a Convert2Cash shop nearby, but they only have loose carts.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 03:41:03 pm »
I've become a huge fan of finding good deals in plain sight. What this means is finding game stores or places that sell used games slipping on their prices. I've always done this, but I do it even more now since everyone and their mom hits up all the typical "good deal" places like thrift stores, flea markets, and pawn shops, which have all jacked their prices through the roof on retro games anyways. I've found some insane deals which even if it's not something I'm specifically after I'll just sell it and use that money to buy what I really want. For example, I found a copy of Samurai Western at a local used media shop in pretty much like new condition for only $10. Resold it on ebay for $180 and then used the money to buy mods and things I wanted for the PS1. And I'm only out $10 + ebay fees on everything! Unfortunately this is not nearly as easy to do as it once was, but I'm still surprised what I can find at these types of stores.

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 07:14:20 pm »
I'd say in a time machine. If you dialed it back to let's say... ten to fifteen years ago, you'd find great prices on a ton of classic games!
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 09:34:36 pm »
I'd say in a time machine. If you dialed it back to let's say... ten to fifteen years ago, you'd find great prices on a ton of classic games!

*sigh*

if only...