Author Topic: Do you ever wish catridge gaming would come back?  (Read 1521 times)

Do you ever wish catridge gaming would come back?
« on: September 09, 2016, 07:29:56 pm »
If the technology was available and the obvious cost of making them wasn't so much more than discs. Do you ever wish that 1080p or 4k NES style catridges would come back? Or would you rather just stick with Discs or even be adventurous and try something new.  SD card technology or something similar (I find SD software too small and losable compared to disc)  but that sounds awesome too :D.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Do you ever wish catridge gaming would come back?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 07:35:21 pm »
Rumors are flying that Nintendo's NX might do that.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 08:28:02 pm »
I don't really think i could take a console that brought it back seriously.... But i'm not against it? Definitely not for it.

haloofthesun

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 08:48:50 pm »
Since so many publishers seem to wish physical games would just go away entirely, and producing cartridges costs more than discs, then no I don't want them to come back. It would just mean more games being digital only.

If, like you said, cost wasn't a factor, then I'd really have no opinion. I guess cartridges are more likely to last longer than discs... but then blu ray discs are pretty tough these days. I don't think there's any major benefit to cartridges.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:50:28 pm by haloofthesun »

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 05:09:05 am »
Cartridges are the best for me!

tpugmire

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 09:15:36 am »
Cartridge gaming never left, yo!
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 01:29:37 pm »
Five years from now, you'll be posting a thread that says "Do you ever wish physical gaming would come back?
Seriously though I'd love carts to come back
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 02:51:41 pm »
Five years from now, you'll be posting a thread that says "Do you ever wish physical gaming would come back?

I loathe that day. I know it's coming, but luckily, for now, gamers still seem to want physical media, more so than music or movie fans.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 08:21:46 pm »

I loathe that day. I know it's coming, but luckily, for now, gamers still seem to want physical media, more so than music or movie fans.

Yep.

But I kinda want to have my cake and eat it.

Ideally I'd like durable but updatable physical media.

Something like SD only physically larger so it's not so easy to lose.

It shouldn't be able to be haphazardly deleted or overwritten but it should be able to be updated (patches, dlc, etc).

One could argue this exists now with hard drives and digital, but that's only partly true. If a hard drive could be used across consoles and include all the os updates then it'd be all good.

I seriously worry that a lot of these "physical game" discs I have will be less playable or outright useless at some point when I need to use a different console that can't get the required updates because the servers have long since been taken offline.

Think LBP for PSP.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 08:25:00 pm by dashv »

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 09:07:58 pm »
I think one thing that people forget is how expensive games were back during the NES/SNES era. A game like Madden 96 on the SNES would run you like $80 in 1996 money; that's over $100 for a brand new game adjusted for inflation. The reason being was obviously because a game cart with its own board cost a lot more than a disk does to make. However, obviously the DS and 3DS have used carts and they have been significantly less than that, mostly because they use fairly standard SD card tech. It's likely the NX will be doing this and as long as the costs stay down, i AM 100% for the return of carts to home consoles!

spac316

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 09:29:31 pm »
Yeah, I would like to see that format comeback. I'm sure with the tech today we can still have blu-ray quality sound and HD visuals. The systems would have a lot less moving parts so they won't fall apart so easily.
Also imagine the game's DLC can be downloaded directly to the carts memory and not saved to a separate hdd.

Flashback2012

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 12:06:27 pm »
It depends on the size and capacity of the cart. If you're talking about something like the Genesis/SNES/NES carts of old that were the size of your hand then no, absolutely not. If you're talking chip cards akin to the TG16 to around the size of GBA/GBC carts then sure (so long as their outer packaging isn't too obnoxiously big).  ;)

kashell

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 10:48:07 am »
I would be open to it, but I prefer discs.

rayne315

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 03:08:35 pm »
it is entirely possible to go back to cartridge based games.

1. they are faster to load and play than disc based game and will remove any loading screens or requirements to download to system memory.
2. they are more durable than discs.
3. a cartridge made with todays tech can hold more data than a Blu-ray
4. it is becoming cheaper and cheaper to make the cartridges as years pass while disc technology is becoming more expensive. (~$1 per dvd and ~$2 per blu ray)

that's what I can think of off the top of my head.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 03:11:29 pm »
It never left. PS Vita and 3DS still do.