Author Topic: Have/do you ever take your love of gaming to the next level  (Read 1215 times)

lordscott

Have/do you ever take your love of gaming to the next level
« on: September 11, 2016, 05:32:04 pm »
I apologize if i post more then 1 questions in 1 day if i choose to anyway to the point & to farther explain what do i mean like if you're playing any of your favorite games and if that game have multiple/different difficulty settings to choose from such as from easy-to medium-to hard-to ultra hard etc. etc. or whatever it's the hardest difficulty in the game.

Be honest with us and before you judge this question as a hardcore gamer no no I'm talking about hardcore gamers anyway enjoy,be honest with us,have fun and feel free to discuss it if you want to :).

azure

Re: Have/do you ever take your love of gaming to the next level
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 06:21:44 pm »
With a new game I usually start out on Normal, and go from there with harder difficulties.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 06:31:28 pm »
I like games with a good story.

So I usually play on normal first. Unless the only way to get the real ending or some achievement requires the harder difficulty. I did this with the Infamous games, Ducktales remastered, Kingdom Hearts and Bravely Default.

Other games I take to the next level buy getting their DLC. But I have to really not want the game to end and the DLC has to truly enhance/extend the experience.

Alan Wake, for example, had some great DLC.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 06:37:44 pm »
I rarely bump up game difficulties.  Unless I know ahead of time something is way too easy on the default setting, I generally look at doing story stuff on a normal difficulty.  I don't usually get much enjoyment out of a game by artificially adding more difficulty like most options tend to.

telly

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 07:13:08 pm »
Sometimes I do, it depends on the game though. I have tried a lot of Nuzlockes in Pokemon games after beating the original story countless times. I remember playing through Mega Man ZX on hard mode after beating it once. Silent Hill 2/3 and Ace Combat are other games that I would play on normal then step it up to hard mode on subsequent play throughs.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

shfan

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 07:55:10 pm »
Only once, but the police were very lenient and let me off with a caution.

retrogemcollector

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 08:02:25 pm »
The only way I can justify $70 (CAD) for a new game, is to play and replay it. So I start all my games at lower difficulty then on the next replay, I add that extra challenge.

brazbit

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 09:44:29 pm »
Rarely do I start above normal, I usually want to experience the story and learn the basics. But for replays, or if it is simply too easy at my initial level I will bump it up. Diablo games are an example that all but requires this as you keep your end game gear on replays. The bigger question is if a given game is worth a replay, some are a ton of fun but lack virtually any replayability without letting years go by between replays.

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 01:10:48 am »
I always start off on normal and go from there.

kashell

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 10:59:39 am »
Only once, but the police were very lenient and let me off with a caution.

This made me chuckle.

To answer the question, I always start on normal and either:

A. Continue if things are going well.

B. Ramp up the difficulty if I'm able to in case the game is too easy.

C. Lower the difficulty if I want to enjoy the story.

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 11:56:28 am »
I usually don't. The only game I think where I did try to beat all difficulties is Quake 3 Arena. Even so, I think I have not won all matches on Nightmare. I do not think I have ever won Q3TOURNEY6 vs Xaero on Nightmare for example.

rayne315

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 12:45:49 pm »
I tried once but ended up being too big and tore into the disc ruining it for any future use. I felt so bad that from then on I chose to abstain and keep my games as friends and nothing more.

oh not that kind of thread.... um yes I will play on a high difficulty/highest difficulty my first play through and wind down from there if it is too difficult for me. if it is a particularly story heavy game (to the point that its more story than game) I will play on one of the easiest difficulties to be able to enjoy it.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

tripredacus

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 04:00:04 pm »
Another example would be Diablo II. In that I had beat the game on all difficulties. I had not really tried to go for max level, because it is really too much work. I believe my highest level (on ladder) was 93. I did go on a quest to get every unique in the game. I got the list down to around needing 20-30, but that ended up not being enough to sustain me further. There was no progression on any front as my characters all got to end-game gear for their builds. Nothing new to experiment with. That is one case where I did too much and finally got burnt out.

maximo310

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 01:00:44 am »
Some games I started off on higher difficulties ( like Bravely Default on Hard for my first playthrough), or did repeated playthroughs ( like completing Ys: Oath of Felgana/ Origin from Normal to Inferno). I guess arcade 1cc's can fall under that category too, since most of them take a good skill level and practice in order to use your resources effectively, which is something that I always keep working on.