Author Topic: Have you ever heard any funny gaming myths when you were young?  (Read 3978 times)

Have you ever heard any funny gaming myths when you were young?
« on: September 12, 2016, 01:04:29 pm »
I heard so many myths when I was a kid lol,  Like if you put NES carts in the freezer they work better, if you put them in the sun, if you blow dry them, if you put a weight on the top of the NES, if you press the power button on the NES 100 times it works the 100th time no matter what,  blowing in NES carts can make the NES catch fire. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are all one big company.    Red ring of death was invented intentionally so you would have to buy new Xboxs and they could make double or triple the money. The Godzilla Monster of mosnters NES game was haunted. Pokémon Red and Blue Lavender town would make you want to commit suicide and so much more lol.  Some of them are documented. Like Lavender town syndrome. I think its solely a creepy pasta story but I heard the rumors when i was a kid too before creepypasta was a thing  ???. supposidly the Japanese version had a lavender town theme that made Japanese children commit suicide or go crazy and a spike in suicides happened when the pokemon Gameboy games were released.    I am not sure how many of those are true :D.  Do you believe in any of those? :)  What crazy myths have you heard through the years? 

Re: Have you ever heard any funny gaming myths when you were young?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 01:10:14 pm »
There's the haunted majora's mask cartridge that was "reported" a few years back.

The how to get Mew myths in Pokemon.

azure

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 01:16:26 pm »
Oh yes, plenty. The obligatory Pokemon, and Mario ones. As well as a lot of playground ones for unlocking "hidden characters" in certain fighting games. Good times.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 01:21:33 pm »
Oh yeah.  The mysterious missing 4% rumors for Super Mario World.

How to unlock Goro or Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat.  Or Play as Reptile.  Or Ermac.

Topless Tomb Raider myths.

kashell

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 01:23:39 pm »
My favorite myth is that you could get Schala to join your party in Chrono Trigger.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 02:42:39 pm »
When Pokemon first landed in the US, it was around the time Pokemon the First Movie was coming out in Japan, and there were screenshots online of Marrel, who did not yet have a name or was even in the game. Because of this all sorts of rumors and speculation popped up online all over the place, and of course people claimed that it was a secret, ultra-legendary pokemon that you could get in the game somehow. I remember being one of those people that briefly became obsessed with trying to get this mysterious pokemon which was popularly called Pika-Blue due to its similar appearance to Pikachu and that it was blue. Some of the methods for obtaining him were just outrageous, but there were actually people who tried lol. One method I remember was something alone the lines of you needing to catch every Pokemon (including Mew), maxing every pokemon's level out, and then surfing between Cinebar and Palet Town on an ultra specific route. I man on a island would appear and after talking to him, one of the barriers that separated you from the outside world would open up and there would be an island were you could catch Pikablue who was the most powerful pokemon in the game! I never tried it, but a few poor bastards did and were understandably pissed when it didn't work.

I remember similar rumors on how to catch Mew. At least with Mew he actually did exist within the game and there is actually a legit way of catching him.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 06:10:00 pm »
My older brothers telling me you could unlock Sonic and Tails in Super Smash Bros. Melee is probably my favorite myth in retrospect. They even had a magazine article about it that six-year-old me believed. Another myth they told me was that the next Zelda game after Ocarina of Time would be a sequel of Link to the Past called Link to the Future, where Link would travel to a modern day world. Then Majora's Mask came out and I stopped believing it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 06:27:27 pm »
There are plenty out there, but for some reason this one stuck with me. The trick that would allow you to catch Rayquaza in Pokémon Black and White by ringing the bell on the Bell Tower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMq4FucvQ94
I straight up fell for this one.
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 07:44:21 pm »
There's one, and I feel like someone will jump on this bandwagon and defend this. When I was in high school there was a kid who said that playing DVD movies on your PS2 would "break" it, I guess by causing the laser in it to go bad prematurely. He swore by it. I bet there are some other people who believe it, but I my PS2 (bought in 2000) still works to this day, and it's played many DVDs.

telly

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 08:42:47 pm »

Which games/myths? It's entirely possible to get Mew without a cheating device in all the original R/B/Y.
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 09:34:56 pm »

Which games/myths? It's entirely possible to get Mew without a cheating device in all the original R/B/Y.

under the truck by the SS Anne, in the Secret Garden behind Bills house are the 2 myths I can think about to get mew. Even though it's possible to get Mew without a cheat device you still got to glitch the game

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 09:36:55 pm »
Oh yeah.  The mysterious missing 4% rumors for Super Mario World.

How to unlock Goro or Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat.  Or Play as Reptile.  Or Ermac.

Topless Tomb Raider myths.

I heard these. Also the myth that the reason Scorpion has two sayings for his Van dam spear was because in early builds of the Mortal Kombat 1 he'd say "Get over here" if you were a dude, but "Bitch, come here!" If it was used on Sonya Blade. After realizing it was way over the top they shortened it to "Come here!" and made it random.

Then the countless attempts to make sense of what Rayden says when he does the superman attack.

My favorites:
"I love kool-aide!"
"Click on install!"
"Get back in the car!"
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:38:59 pm by dashv »

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 08:43:50 am »

under the truck by the SS Anne, in the Secret Garden behind Bills house are the 2 myths I can think about to get mew. Even though it's possible to get Mew without a cheat device you still got to glitch the game
I've heard recently of ways to acquire Mew without a cheat device, but I don't recall that knowledge being common back when Red and Blue came out.

From what I read the Mew glitch was first reported in 2003.  That's 5 years after the original (US) release.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 08:47:39 am by ignition365 »

dreama1

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 09:45:21 am »
Spiders or rats? on top of the tomb raider roof mansion.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 12:41:03 pm »
Jumping over the flagpole on Super Mario Bros. was the biggest one I remember. Everyone seemed to have a story of that one time they did it. Yet we all know you can't, now.

I also remember a rumor that if you went into the training area of Tomb Raider, and went to the pool, and jumped a certain way, over a certain object (that was very hard to successfully jump over), then you unlocked Nude Raider. We tried for a while on that one.