Author Topic: Am i only one who don't buy digital downloads & buys a actual physical copy  (Read 2193 times)

telly

I will occasionally buy digital games if the savings are good enough. Like $10 for Suikoden II or $1.99 for the now 45+ Fatal Frame II

Still don't regret my decision with either purchase.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

stealthrush

If a physical software exist I was always choose that option. Not a fan of digital re-releases, or digital-only games at all.

I remember when Xbox 360 first came out I couldn't stop laughing at the idea on digital games taking over, since I seen it as an obvious way to keep the initial prices at default- instead of devaluing overtime (a way to control the profit directly to the developer) and I thought gamers would reject that concept. Years later, I bought less than five games only because they were follow-ups on classics franchises; Mega Man 9, Mega Man 10, for example.

turf

PRO Supporter

If a game has a physical release, I'll spend a few more bucks on it; that includes collections.  I 5 different ways to have Mega Man 1-6. 

Now, I do love me some cheap Steam games.  I mostly get older stuff, but dang if it ain't cheap.  Those HumbleBundles make it easy to be a PC gamer. 

I avoid digital at all costs if I can, often import from other countries just to have a physical copy.
I do the same. Digital versions sucks!

tripredacus

I will buy on Steam no problem. But I will not buy a game on Steam that I already have a physical copy of, or if the game is more than 10 years old.

Most of us here are collectors of physical copies. Plus, especially on the console side, there aren't enough benefits to justify switching to digital yet.

Usually, this causes me to miss out on some cool things. One example is that M2 recently announced their ShotTriggers line of bringing shmups to PS4, so their first title was Battle Garegga Rev. 2016 and it looked great. However, their physical SE for $80-90 came with all of these cool trinkets ,but the game is only a download code on a piece of paper that is only redeemable on Japanese PSN.
I'm still hoping that LRG can pick that one up for a physical release, cuz I'm not keen on paying $250+ for a Saturn copy.
https://twitter.com/Bear078/status/776063343371046913

spac316

Nope, I would go out and get the physical copy when available. As many collectors would prefer, I want to feel like I own the game and not have it out there in digital limbo. Room space be damned!

maximo310

Most of us here are collectors of physical copies. Plus, especially on the console side, there aren't enough benefits to justify switching to digital yet.

Usually, this causes me to miss out on some cool things. One example is that M2 recently announced their ShotTriggers line of bringing shmups to PS4, so their first title was Battle Garegga Rev. 2016 and it looked great. However, their physical SE for $80-90 came with all of these cool trinkets ,but the game is only a download code on a piece of paper that is only redeemable on Japanese PSN.
I'm still hoping that LRG can pick that one up for a physical release, cuz I'm not keen on paying $250+ for a Saturn copy.
https://twitter.com/Bear078/status/776063343371046913

Thanks for the link! I voted #1 for the physical disc, and it looks like that option will win in a landslide, so hopefully we get more news and a followup on that!

brazbit

On the last two generations of consoles I will almost always choose digital over physical. I have no love for discs and when I want to play a game I don't care to play the guessing game of was this a free download or do I have to find the disc?

I was vehemently against downloads until the drives got big enough to store my entire library and my internet connection was fast enough to make it a trivial thing to download even the latest AAA title.

Further convincing me to go digital on modern games was buying discs at launch and having to wait for multi-gigabyte updates just to play... what was the point of the disc if I just gad to download 80% of the game anyway? Then games came out that literally only had an installer stub on the disc, so essentially you go to the store to get a disc that is little more than a download code for the same digital copy you could have had preloaded at launch and you don't even get a manual. Again, what was the point? Even some of the most complete ones these days are missing some required bit of code to make them playable and require just a minimal download on first load. In a few years, when the servers are gone, and it's time to reload your system following a drive crash you'll put the disc in the drive and get a server not found message just the same as those with digital downloads will see.

If more games were playable right off the disc I would still buy discs but since having physical media preserves virtually nothing anymore I gave in and went for convenience, speed and space savings. My Xbox one collection, thanks to Games with Gold and the odd discounted purchase, is now roughly on par with my original Xbox collection. The original Xbox collection consumes several DVD racks, the physical Xbox One collection is composed of two physical discs and an external 2.5" hard drive. My collection spans 40 years, having an entire generation reduced to a couple of consoles and virtually no physical media is a godsend at this point.