Author Topic: Games you wanted to like, but just could not get into  (Read 5500 times)

Re: Games you wanted to like, but just could not get into
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2016, 04:51:00 pm »
GTA San Andreas. I loved the previous two, especially Vice City, but I've never been able to get into San Andreas, I just get bored and don't want to carry one.

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2016, 05:09:34 pm »
GTA San Andreas. I loved the previous two, especially Vice City, but I've never been able to get into San Andreas, I just get bored and don't want to carry one.

I completely agree with you. I think it was the whole homie G gangsta theme that turned me off, but overall I didn't feel like the setting or story was nearly as good as the previous two. With all that said, I still found it to be enjoyable, but I've never been able to finish the game due to getting bored with it. I usually get to the part where you are in Vegas and then I lose interest.

davifus

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2016, 05:37:49 pm »
That's cool. I know that in the International Version, everyone starts in the same area so you can customize your characters the way you want. Of course, that also means that you could potentially mess up your characters.

Yeah, in FFX International you can choose the option to have no locks or restrictions on the grid so you can literally go wherever you want. At least in FFX you can move through the grid without adding stats you don't need. You move with AP/S. levels but actually activate an ability/stat with the spheres.

But in general the Japanese and European PS2 versions have a more open Sphere Grid than the NA version. The HD remasters are of the international releases though.

I have the Vita version of the HD Remaster. Do you recommend going with the more opened up Sphere Grid if I do go back and play it?

I've only played the PS2 version, but if you really enjoyed the upgrade system in FFXIII it might be better to stick to the Standard grid rather than the Expert.

I know you don't like FFX and you've tried multiple times, but if you do replay it again I'd love to hear what you think. I'm in the "love FFX" group and honestly think Tidus is the best protagonist in any of the FF games (voice acting issues aside). He's annoying and whiny on purpose so you can relate to his "fish out of water" character traits. Seeing him mature and become engrossed in the new world he is thrust into and forced to deal with over the course of the game; it's really really nice character development.

"I'm in the "love FFX" group and honestly think Tidus is the best protagonist in any of the FF games"

I think we can be best friends.

I would say start with the standard grid then expert in other play-through.

XIII Grid system is very linear and isolated. Sure, you can switch "Jobs" in middle of the battle but in experience (Playing 90% through it) it doesn't have much fluidity. I'm constantly "CONSTANTLY" switching jobs and have stop what im doing in middle of battle. 

"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

necrosexual

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2016, 01:04:15 am »
Also the Shin Megami Tensei games outside of Persona, although last time I tried to play Lucifer's Call I did actually find myself suddenly really enjoying it. I'd tried playing it twice before then and I found it really dull but then last time I suddenly found myself completely drawn in from the very start. Not sure what happened but I guess this means there's hope. I probably would've finished it by now but the game crashed after over an hour's progress without saving so I gave up on it. I'll probably try Digital Devil Saga again next.

it might be because you understand the underlying mechanics better. jumping into an SMT game without any idea of wtf any of the attacks mean, and what shit like 'bufu' and whatever mean, it can make the game pretty dull. the SMT series kind of throws you in with zero explanation, which for some is fun, and for others feels like info overload. there's a fucking ton of memorisation required, especially in older games, that persona didn't make you do (persona gives you more details even during battle of what every attack does, basically). it was a similar experience for me... and i prefer SMT over persona now (that said, i plan to preorder p5 asap, i still like them, but i also have SMTIVA preordered right now)

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2016, 12:56:04 pm »
During the Skyrim craze all my friends were playing and loving skyrim, they used to tell me it was the greatest game ever made.  but it was never my cup of tea.  I know it is probably a holy grail and an awesome game but I never really caught on to it or had the time to play it. I wasn't a fan of any of the Elder Scrolls games for that matter.  I didn't really like it. It felt tiresome and almost a chore at times.  :D.

Assassins Creed, I always found myself getting bored quick with all the AC games I played, aside from III.  I loved III for some reason. Many people tell me III was their least favorite but for some reason i loved the plot.  But 1, Revelations, Black Flag and Brotherhood were all played out to me and I never really loved them.  I could always take them or leave them.  My friend used to sleep over and he was a die hard AC fan. i tried to love the series and get all the trophies but i never could play more than 4 hours without putting bioshock in lol. 

Gears of war-  Being an xbox fanboy, i always try to push myself to love gears of war. but imo the controls are clunky, the plot is meh and i much prefer Mass Effect or ever Army of two over gears. Imo it is a really overated 3rd person shooter.  Was never sold on the series.

My tastes are pretty weird sometimes, these 3 games are critically acclaimed so i am probably wrong about them.  but those are 3 i gave fair changes to and was underwhelmed with. :)

kashell

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2016, 05:20:40 pm »
XIII Grid system is very linear and isolated. Sure, you can switch "Jobs" in middle of the battle but in experience (Playing 90% through it) it doesn't have much fluidity. I'm constantly "CONSTANTLY" switching jobs and have stop what im doing in middle of battle. 

That's why I liked it so much and the point of having multiple Paradigms. I love switching Paradigms in the middle of battle, especially when a couple of the party members are floating in the air and demolishing a Staggered enemy.

pizzasafari

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2016, 07:47:36 pm »
it might be because you understand the underlying mechanics better. jumping into an SMT game without any idea of wtf any of the attacks mean, and what shit like 'bufu' and whatever mean, it can make the game pretty dull. the SMT series kind of throws you in with zero explanation, which for some is fun, and for others feels like info overload. there's a fucking ton of memorisation required, especially in older games, that persona didn't make you do (persona gives you more details even during battle of what every attack does, basically). it was a similar experience for me... and i prefer SMT over persona now (that said, i plan to preorder p5 asap, i still like them, but i also have SMTIVA preordered right now)

Yeah maybe, the first couple of times I tried to play SMT3 I got the absolute crap kicked out of me. Then last time I played I was making pretty decent progress. Although I had already finished P3 (and I think P4) and played some of DDS before playing SMT3 so I'm not sure why.
Though if I remember right the first couple of times I played I did run from a fair few encounters whereas in my last one I made it a rule to kill every enemy I encountered, so that might be why. Leveling and all that jazz.
I think the main reason was me moving my older consoles from my flatscreen to a CRT, older games look bloody awful on my main TV. Plus I lie in my bed while using my flatscreen and it's kinda far away whereas for my CRT I have to sit on the floor right in front of it. It's a very different experience.

I think I'll always prefer Persona because they're just the kind of games I love but I'm still trying to get properly into the main series too.

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2016, 08:25:19 am »

I completely agree with you. I think it was the whole homie G gangsta theme that turned me off, but overall I didn't feel like the setting or story was nearly as good as the previous two. With all that said, I still found it to be enjoyable, but I've never been able to finish the game due to getting bored with it. I usually get to the part where you are in Vegas and then I lose interest.
When I first heard about this game, reading about it in Game Informer way back when, being a fan of 3 and VC, I was appalled that you weren't some psychopath white guy, which is a totally weird thought.  The game is very ingrained with that gangsta gangsta vibe, but CJ has way more character than Claude or Tommy.  Shit, I think CJ was a better character than Niko and any of the V guys.

But yeah, there is no way around that OG gangsta stuff.

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2016, 11:06:30 pm »

Yeah that was probably the main reason for me too, and just the overall 90s theme in general. I find it so uninteresting compared to the 80s era which I absolutely love.

sworddude

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2016, 10:30:46 am »
Baroque

Not rewarding enough unlike other rogue like games.

Nice story and atmosphere but pretty unfair on harder difficulties since avoiding enemies is pretty much not possible and the weird system of transferring items before leaving really kills it for me. Later on with stronger weapons sure but I'd rather do something else.

Still though if you want a game replicating hell I'd say this is a great game since you can't even relax in the main town since your health is always decreasing didnt mind the totally no instructions though and ofcourse the pretty **** up world. Interesting game just not for me, the coffin man was your best man though.

On a side note if you used that healing plate in town 3 times your pretty much *****. It's pretty funny that there actually is a time limit for exploring a safe zone and being killed for it.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2016, 12:22:47 pm »
The last of us

borderlands
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2016, 02:51:09 pm »
The last of us

borderlands

You couldn't get into Borderlands?  I loved those games. 

Oh well.  Different strokes for different folks.

madmax

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2016, 05:40:20 pm »
FFXII

Agreed. I'm very patient while playing Final Fantasy games, but FFXII tested that patience.

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2016, 07:49:37 pm »
Street fighter
Bioshock

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2016, 01:51:05 am »
FFXII

Agreed. I'm very patient while playing Final Fantasy games, but FFXII tested that patience.

I was ultra hyped for FF XII as X is one of my favorite games of all time, and sadly XI went the MMO route. Bought it the week it came out, played it for a few hours and was just totally bored and uninterested. Funny enough, I hear so many people heavily praising this game which makes me want to try it out again, but I'm worried that I'll end up quiting it pretty early on again.