Author Topic: did you ever collect Pokemon or Yugioh cards?  (Read 2178 times)

did you ever collect Pokemon or Yugioh cards?
« on: September 17, 2016, 01:26:27 pm »
Do you have any rare ones you'd like to share? :D    I used to collect Pokémon cards a lot when I was young, but then I gave them to my nephew once I grew out of them.  I might try to collect a base set, jungle set, and fossil set just for nostalgia.  :)

stealthrush

Re: did you ever collect Pokemon or Yugioh cards?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 02:49:14 pm »
When I was in middle school I collected, traded, and battled with them. Still have my Pokemon cards from back then now. Never cared for any battle card game (Yu-Gi-Oh, or Magic) otherwise. Eventually played types of poker afterwards.

anagar

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 03:13:20 pm »
Collected and traded both Pokemon and Yugioh when I was in elementary school and I still have them.
I only ever played Yugioh though.
PSN,Wii U/NID:ANA_GAR XBL:ANAGARXB 3DS/FC:4441-9981-8329

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 03:20:32 pm »
Yes I think I was the only one in my High school to actually learn how to play the Pokemon TCG. I also played Yugioh for a number of years. I've recently decided to get into Magic the group at the "local" store (30 min away on a good day) is actually very friendly and helpful

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 04:03:53 pm »
I did collect Pokemon cards awhile ago. I don't know the names of the sets but the one with the leaf or bone icons, besides the original release. It wasn't something I really planned on. I was into Magic cards and did DCI league, and somehow won a starter deck for Pokemon. I think it was a free draft tournament or something. It was neat. I don't think I have any of those cards anymore. Just a 1st edition Pikachu and a Ninetails.

kashell

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 05:07:04 pm »
Yep, I really enjoyed collecting Pokemon Cards back in the day. Before that, I was a huge fan of Magic: The Gathering.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 05:19:32 pm »
Back in the day I did to a certain degree, cards were pretty easy to get in my small town with the two card shops that were there, so I did some Pokemon, I once had one of those Pokemon Gold Cards you get from Burger King, no clue where it went, but I moved on from Pokemon to Dragon Ball Z cards in high school.

telly

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 06:07:04 pm »
I did collect Pokemon cards awhile ago. I don't know the names of the sets but the one with the leaf or bone icons, besides the original release. It wasn't something I really planned on.

Just in case you were wondering, the leaf is Jungle, the bone is Fossil. :)

I loved collecting the Pokemon cards when I was a kid, but I never bought a ton of cards personally, just hand me downs from other people. The TCG that I really got into was a constructable ship battling game called Pirates. You build ships out of packs then move around getting treasure and attacking your opponents ships and stuff.

Suffice to say, it was the shit.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:13:00 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 12:34:29 am »
I still collect Pokemon cards! Though i only buy a few packs here and there, and i am also buying the monthly 10th anniversary legendary boxes atm. xD

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 02:50:13 am »
I only really played and collected Pokemon cards from base set to Rocket, but still pick up an occasional pack every now and again.

When it came to collectible games in my groups of friends, the core ones were Decipher's Star Trek CCG (1E) and Wizard's Star Wars Miniatures.

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 12:57:54 pm »
I heavily collected Pokemon cards back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I had a full rare set of Base Edition (including Charizard which I paid $30 for at a card shop), and a ton of other rare cards from Jungle and Fossil. I also had a nice collection of Japanese cards including the Southern/Rainbow Islands promo sets, the Neo Promo Set, and a bunch of Japanese cards that had not yet seen an English release at the time(Rocket, Gym Heroes, Neo). Sadly the thing that killed Pokemon card collecting for me was my shit bag neighbor stealing my Charizard card. Is wasn't that I was just pissed about it, but that I'd have to drop more money on a new one. At that point I gave up on collecting them, sold off my original collection about ten years ago. Fast forward a few years back and I actually started collecting Pokemon cards again, but just Japanese since I always thought they were cooler looking and they are generally less expensive. I have 90% of all the holos between base and Neo.

As for Yugioh, I was 80% a player and 20% a collector. I used to go to this card shop when I was in high school generically called Sports Cards and participated in their Yugioh tournaments they hosted nearly every Sunday. Some of my fondest memories that I have with my younger brother, who was in elementary school at the time, were going to those tournaments and competing. Neither of us ever got very far, but we loved playing against each other. Unlike my original Pokemon cards which I ditched, I still have my original Yugioh decks that I used to play with and I will never get rid of them because of what they mean to me.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:59:58 pm by bikingjahuty »

ffxik

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 06:21:50 pm »
Still do.  Though my main game is Magic the Gathering I am familiar with a bunch of different tcg/ccgs.  I still hit any LGS I find and go through what they have buying pretty much any old/out-dated games I find, or ones I may not have heard of.  I love tearing them down and seeing how the play mechanics pan out.  Note this is strictly paper.  I don't play much on the digital fronts.

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 09:08:15 am »
I did in my youth.  I don't really collect anymore, but my wife wants to.

A sort of buddy of mine, that I allegedly went to school with (but totally not even a little bit remember him) collected Pokemon cards pretty hardcore in our youth.  There's this story he tells fairly frequently about how he would trade with tons of kids and he would hear kids talk about some guy called Mr. Kim who had the biggest collection of Pokemon cards and was totally unbeatable.  So he always battled harder and tried getting more cards and stuff because he wanted to out-do this Mr. Kim.  Come some time later, he is approached by some kid he had never met, kid starts praising him and telling him how he looks up to him and stuff, exclusively talking about pokemon cards here, and ends the conversation with see ya later Mr. Kim.  Kim exists nowhere in his name.  One of those self-fulfilling prophecies, but also slightly racist. 

azure

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 10:18:01 pm »
Yes, I really enjoyed collecting both Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon cards when I was younger. I don't really that much nowadays, but I do still have all my cards.

lordscott

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 01:35:35 am »
I still have my collection of Pokemon cards & Yugioh cards& i still love Pokemon cards & i still love yugioh cards & yes i still collect Pokemon cards & Yugioh cards both classics and new cards don't matter to me to added anymore in my collection when & if i buy anymore in my collection & if i choose to.

& if anyone ever wants to play me i don't mind to play them & yes i still play Pokemon cards & Yugioh cards & if i choose to & yes Pokemon & Yugioh are 2 of my favorite anime :).