Author Topic: Game Gear Collectors  (Read 2295 times)

mrnikon

Game Gear Collectors
« on: October 05, 2016, 12:57:49 pm »
It has been awhile since I Posted anything on here. So hello again!

So I am about to try and collect a complete Game Gear game collection. I don't care about boxes at this point just looking for the carts. Just wondering what any of you have come across in finding games. and how many have full collections. I see that most of the games loose are not too much cash, but trying to find them looks tough.

I have had one for a while, but the battery contacts are so messed up I have to use an ac adapter. I did  just bought a "new" one the other day that is in much better condition, I may end up modding the messed up one to have a better screen at some point and fixing the battery contacts as well.

Any tips on my search?

Re: Game Gear Collectors
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 01:23:51 pm »
I've been waiting so long for someone to come along and make a 3rd party Game gear device, I'm still hoping Hyperkin or somebody will make one that connects to a TV.

I have 6-7 Game Gears, maybe 2 work, but I haven't messed with them in over a year, so they might be bad by this point.

I have about 60 GG games.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:32:25 pm by ignition365 »

mrnikon

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 01:48:41 pm »
I've been waiting so long for someone to come along and make a 3rd party Game gear device, I'm still hoping Hyperkin or somebody will make one that connects to a TV.

I have 6-7 Game Gears, maybe 2 work, but I haven't messed with them in over a year, so they might be bad by this point.

I have about 60 GG games.

I hear that a lot about Game Gears, the caps keep blowing, the back light goes out, I may end up with a few more at the end of this.

theflea

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 02:44:10 pm »
I own 81 GG games and Like what people say Its not easy finding a reliable GG to play. I too have several GG systems and maybe 2 work. (i was lucky to pick one one from a garage sale for $5) I too would love a GG Adapter that fits into a SMS or GEN. 

I know a Game store that has a ton of GG games, they just don't sell. lol
Heck one store just gave me a bunch for free to me once because again they just don't sell.
I've been to shows that have a small bin full of GG games and they want only a couple dollars a game.

"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 02:59:11 pm »
I have a local store with a metric ton of them, but they price them 2x retail so they never sell.  They usually do 50% off GG games a few times a year.  *Hint* They still don't sell.

From my experience, the best way to get GG games is one of two ways.  Pawn shops and trading.  Most people who have GG games will trade for just about anything to get rid of them.

I'm always on the fence about acquiring new GG games.  I can't and won't play them until there is a way to play them on the TV (there are hack/mods to do it, but out of my skillset/time) but as soon as a way comes that you can play them on a TV, you can be damned sure they will go up in value, even if only temporarily.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 10:49:49 am »
Funny enough the Game Gear is probably the only post-NES platform that I've never had any desire to collect for. I had a friend in elementary school who had one and I was really jealous of him at the time, but I have not wanted one since then. I hear there are some excellent games on it, but sadly this was never enough to encourage me to collect for it.

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 11:13:44 am »
I was a stupid Sega fanboy in my youth, honestly you can blame that on the Sonic AM cartoon.  Super Mario World did change that though.

I wanted a Sega Genesis and a Game Gear.  Never got the Genesis, got the SNES instead, so disappointed and upset, but then I played Super Mario World.  Fell in love with that.  Got a Gameboy, wasn't super thrilled, but Tetris was the bomb.  Finally got a Game gear, and that thing blew my mind... and all of my batteries.  It was hands down my favorite thing to play on as a child.  Never had to fight with siblings to get a chance to play, just needed tons of batteries.  That was the first downside.  They eventually, the system just stopped working, and I've been so burned by that that I just hardly care about the system anymore... and it's such a damned shame, because it was innovative and it does have good games.

kashell

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 02:08:31 pm »
I wanted a Game Gear like crazy. The fact that it was in color was all that I needed to convince myself that it was superior to the Game Boy. Then, you had that commercial in which a homely looking guy on a bench whacks himself with a dead-squirrel to make him see color on the Game Boy screen. The narrator then says, "There's an easier way to get color! Get a Game Gear!" and it was showing this handsome, hip guy rocking out on his Game Gear.

I never got one. I go through spells in which I think to myself that I should get one, but I never follow through.

mrnikon

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 02:15:06 pm »
I was a stupid Sega fanboy in my youth, honestly you can blame that on the Sonic AM cartoon.  Super Mario World did change that though.

I wanted a Sega Genesis and a Game Gear.  Never got the Genesis, got the SNES instead, so disappointed and upset, but then I played Super Mario World.  Fell in love with that.  Got a Gameboy, wasn't super thrilled, but Tetris was the bomb.  Finally got a Game gear, and that thing blew my mind... and all of my batteries.  It was hands down my favorite thing to play on as a child.  Never had to fight with siblings to get a chance to play, just needed tons of batteries.  That was the first downside.  They eventually, the system just stopped working, and I've been so burned by that that I just hardly care about the system anymore... and it's such a damned shame, because it was innovative and it does have good games.

Yeah it went beyond what the Original Gameboy could do. It is pretty much a scaled down SMS. I guess if the battery life wasn't total crap on it it may have out sold the Gameboy. Also if the Gameboy did not have Tetris. But besides all that its a good system that needs some loving! Also it has the illusion of not taking up any more space such as a Intelvision of Atari 7800.  I almost bout one or both of those this past weekend. I am looking at the game library and some of the prices on them, and there are not too many games for it and the loose prices are not too bad(according to price charting). So it doesn't look like it is too hard to collect for.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 02:58:47 pm »

Yeah it went beyond what the Original Gameboy could do. It is pretty much a scaled down SMS. I guess if the battery life wasn't total crap on it it may have out sold the Gameboy. Also if the Gameboy did not have Tetris. But besides all that its a good system that needs some loving! Also it has the illusion of not taking up any more space such as a Intelvision of Atari 7800.  I almost bout one or both of those this past weekend. I am looking at the game library and some of the prices on them, and there are not too many games for it and the loose prices are not too bad(according to price charting). So it doesn't look like it is too hard to collect for.
I think I have an extra of both of those if you have any interest in trading. ;)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 04:32:11 pm »
It is pretty much a scaled down SMS.

It is a SMS.  The games play on it with an adapter.

mrnikon

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 10:35:43 am »

I think I have an extra of both of those if you have any interest in trading. ;)
I don't really have much to trade right now...