Author Topic: Which had better RPGs? SNES or PS1?  (Read 3307 times)

Which had better RPGs? SNES or PS1?
« on: October 10, 2016, 06:19:46 am »
Which console do you think was more inconic for JRPGs and RPGs :D.  Chrono Cross, FFVII, FFVIII, Xenogears, vagrant story, tales of fantasia,   versus the likes of Chrono Trigger,  FFIII (VI), Mario RPG, secret of mana, earthbound, secret of evermore. :)

Which RPG heavyweight do you think released more quality RPGs?

Re: Which had better RPGs? SNES or PS1?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 07:47:03 am »
Snes only because I prefer older style rpgs more.

kashell

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 08:35:36 am »
Which console do you think was more inconic for JRPGs and RPGs :D.  Chrono Cross, FFVII, FFVIII, Xenogears, vagrant story, tales of fantasia,   versus the likes of Chrono Trigger,  FFIII (VI), Mario RPG, secret of mana, earthbound, secret of evermore. :)

Which RPG heavyweight do you think released more quality RPGs?

Tales of Phantasia was originally on the Super Famicom. Are you talking about the remake on the PlayStation? Or are you talking about Tales of Destiny?

Either way, PlayStation gets the win. Secret of Mana is one of my favorite games of all time. I spent hours on Chrono Trigger, Romancing SaGa 3, Breath of Fire, Breath of Fire II, Tales of Phantasia, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and so much more.

However, I spent even more hours on PlayStation mainly thanks to its RPGs. SaGa Frontier is my favorite game of all time; even more so than Secret of Mana. And that's just the start. My time was spent with FFVII through FFIX, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Tales of Destiny, Tales of Eternia, Legend of Mana, SaGa Frontier 2, FF Tactics, and...I could go on for days.

Both systems were pure magnificence for RPG players.

telly

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 10:58:54 am »
It's a tough call, I would probably give the edge to PlayStation as well. It had more variety, and with Chrono Cross, Suikoden, Final Fantasy, Legend of Dragoon, Breath of Fire III/IV, you can't go wrong with that!

Plus because a lot of SNES RPGs never made it out of Japan until later, that unfortunately lessens what the SNES has to offer.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:04:59 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Monkey Ball (GC), Tunic (Switch), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 11:08:28 am »
That is really tough call. I am definitely partial to the PS1's library, but quite honestly the PS1 definitely was more of a successor in terms of the types of games to the SNES than the N64 was. I could be wrong about this, but in terms of both quality and quantity of RPGs I think that the PS1 has it beat despite games like FFIV, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, and Super Mario RPG being on the SNES.

EDIT: hahaha I just realized after typing this that all of those games except for Mario RPG are on the PS1 also. Yeah, PS1 has it beat for sure :p
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:53:01 am by bikingjahuty »

Flashback2012

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 12:35:28 pm »
That is really tough call. I am definitely partial to the PS1's library, but quite honestly the PS1 definitely was more of a successor in terms of the types of games to the SNES than the N64 was. I could be wrong about this, but in terms of both quality and quantity of RPGs I think that the PS1 has it beat despite games like FFIV, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, and Super Mario RPG being on the SNES.

FFIV, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger were also on the PS1 via Final Fantasy Anthology and Chronicles. They had some issues but were largely the same game so that removes them from the table for comparison. Even with those I'd still say the PS1 by a country mile.  ;)

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 12:55:44 pm »

FFIV, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger were also on the PS1 via Final Fantasy Anthology and Chronicles. They had some issues but were largely the same game so that removes them from the table for comparison. Even with those I'd still say the PS1 by a country mile.  ;)

See my edit; I came to the same realization after typing that :p

azure

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 01:18:20 pm »
Oh, tough call. I would say PS1 for me.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 04:11:47 pm »
Ps1 by far.

pizzasafari

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 06:16:22 pm »
Honestly I'd love to say PS1 because it has my favourite Final Fantasy games but I really can't think of any other RPGs on the console that I liked. Parasite Eve is okay, but I really struggle to think of it as an RPG. Always seemed more like an ATB Resident Evil to me.

Whereas SNES has more RPGs that I like, though it doesn't have my all-time favourites. And it does still have FF5 and 6 which I love nearly as much as the PS1 entries. Plus it has Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.

I'll probably go have to go with with SNES, as much as it pains me to.

(Edit: I should mention I haven't played Chrono Cross. It's difficult in the UK. Took me ages to be able to play Parasite Eve and Xenogears.)

Edit 2: In fact, you know what? Sod it. Out of revenge I'm going to go with PS1. We didn't get jack all RPGs on the SNES here in the UK and I'm salty. PS1 was the only console of the two with good RPGs here. I retract my vote and vote PS1.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:18:42 pm by LeJason »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 06:20:26 pm »
SNES has some legendary RPGs, Chrono Trigger is one of the best ever.

But FFVII, love it or hate it, really blew the doors open for RPGs in America. After that, we got a TON of RPGs, especially JRPGs, and especially on the PS1. Between Squaresoft and Working Design's releases alone, the PS1 takes it. Not only the JRPGs, but thanks to the popularity of Diablo, we started seeing action-RPGs proliferate more, as well. And out of the consoles, PS1 got the best selection of those, as well (though nowhere near the PC, still).

There were so many different RPGs, too, between sub-genre-stretching titles like Diablo, Parasite Eve, King's Field, Legend of Legaia, FF Tactics, and Brave Fencer Musashi; and we STILL had the old stalwarts like Dragon Warrior, Breath of Fire, and Final Fantasy. And we even got some arguably superior ports of last-gen titles like Lunar Silver Story and Eternal Blue, Final Fantasy V & VI, Final Fantasy Origins, and Chrono Trigger.

PS1 wins.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:21:01 am by burningdoom »

retrogemcollector

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 09:59:37 pm »
Both equally for me, I however have moe fun finding and collecting the SNES.

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 11:11:14 am »
There are barely any RPG's on the snes if you don't count the japanese library

And if you do actrually include the japanese library than the ps 1 would beat the snes by miles since there are a crap ton of ps1 rpg's that have never been released in the west.

I don't think I can even name 10-  20 rpg's for the snes if It's only for the western released games. the snes has some great rpg's but there aren't to many so it is not the console for an rpg gamer.

The only big worthy exclusive titles on snes are terranigma, earthbound, mario rpg, secret of evermore, illusion of time and  secret of mana.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 04:57:49 pm »
 PS1 has way more rpgs than snes.

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 12:00:58 pm »
Both equally for me, I however have moe fun finding and collecting the SNES.

i used to until the collecting scene for retro Nintendo blew the hell up. Most of the SNES games I currently have were found over 3-years ago, haven't picked up a whole lot for it since.