Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 251844 times)

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #1260 on: September 14, 2017, 06:07:07 am »
Hello, I'm Gus and I've recently started to see the value in older games, and started my own collection. Needing a place to catalog them all, I ran into this site after trying others and not being satisfied. I love how organized and expansive of a database you have here.
I've been playing since birth when I was plopped in front of an SNES one day. I missed most of the older generations, and was devastated to hear all the games my siblings gotten rid of before my time.  ::)

I started when I tried hunting down some handhelds I had in my childhood that I had lost for memory's sake. Then I felt how charming owning old things and feeling the history and attitude with the years, and the feelings have snowballed from there, to deciding to grow a collection for cataloging and safeguard reasons. I have interests in anime, television, cinematography, music, card games, and basically any media and toy collectives, as well as interests in geology and mineralogy. I have a few gems and rock samples laying around the house because of this :) (it drives my family mad, they always ask me "why do you bring home so many rocks?") I hope to also start a card game and physical media collection, too, with my best friends, if life permits it.

Although, currently, I don't exactly have access to retro titles, space to display anything, or the financial status to grow too much, I hope to one day have a complete game library of all consoles and handhelds, enough that it could be considered a small museum of VG history. I've studied about the history, controversies, and graphical/hardware techniques and achievements that I'm basically obsessed at this point. Mostly, I only have titles I can afford to play, and the mass of my collection comes from hand me downs from family and friends. I appreciate any experience and advice anyone has, as well as a peek at your collections as examples.

Happy playing!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:15:12 am by guygus09 »

telly

« Reply #1261 on: September 14, 2017, 09:34:22 am »
Welcome, Gus! :)
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1262 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:35 pm »
My name is Jay and I'm an addict.  Its really nice to meet all of you.  I'm in my late thirties going back to get the stuff I had as a kid (as well as the stuff I wanted but never got) and "share" it with my loved ones.  My first system was a Turbo Grafx 16 but ended up trading for an NES during its mighty reign.  Truth is if I had never sold/traded anything I would need another room in the house.  Rather than look back in regret I remind myself that I also gave others the opportunity to own some gems....right?  right guys?  guys?   Anyway.  A few years ago I started a small collection but quickly became overwhelmed trying to grab everything.  Fast forward to now and I am focused on NES, SNES, and I just dipped my toes back into the Sega market with my recently acquired Saturn.  This method of focus and consistent growth has proven effective for me and I would encourage it for those feeling overwhelmed. 

I have been searching for searching for a video game community as well as collection management and I am happy to find both here. 

desocietas

« Reply #1263 on: September 15, 2017, 12:36:45 am »
Heya Jay!

I've seen Blank and Gus already up and active elsewhere in the forum, so hello officially!

Great to see some new names in the forums, and I hope you all have a good time here :)

Great comments, Jay. A few folks over the years have mentioned needing a purge and discussing general tactics on keeping collecting at a steady (and not overwhelming) clip. Whether that means to quit cold turkey for a bit or what, we all know it can be easy to let the collecting urges run away from us ... along with our money  ::)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #1264 on: October 08, 2017, 09:58:26 am »
Hey what's up folks! I'm Vicki but y'all can call me Chewie if you want!

And I guess I'm new to this whole forum thing, I've never really posted in one before. And I'm also new to VGCollect. I'm just trying to get the hang of things and update my collection as I go. I've been playing video games since I was like maybe 3 or 4. I don't really have a big collection but I'm sure it'll expand over the years.

Yeah so I'll be around, you might see me popping up now and again in various places! And it's great to be here!
Always playing: Overwatch (Xbox One) | WWE 2K17 (Xbox One) | Sims 4 (PC) |
Currently Playing:

telly

« Reply #1265 on: October 08, 2017, 10:39:31 pm »
Welcome Chewie! Nice to meet you :) Have fun on the forums!
Currently Playing:

nexttheflex

« Reply #1266 on: October 09, 2017, 03:00:30 am »
Hello Fam!
Im Paul, 28 years old funny guy from Poland. Im wit games since when im was around 2,5 years old (older brother and his commodore). My first own console was PSX 7502, parents gave me a birthday present in summer of 2002. In my Whole life i got many consoles (famicom, psx, ps2, ps4, nintendo 64, nintendo gamecube, gameboy advance, sega saturn, sega dreamcast, sega mega drive II) but im played for few months and sold them all one by one on ebay or local polish emarket allego.pl. In August 2016 in found my first and only console what i got in my parents old house. And im fall in love again :) Ive got 3 consoles and thats all what i need and want. For me this trio represent the best games and best times in whole generation of consoles.
I come here because im try to find site where i can add and catalog my game collection. Peace
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 12:26:45 pm by nexttheflex »
....so....
...who's....
NEXT
       .THE.
               FLEX

kashell

« Reply #1267 on: October 09, 2017, 08:11:25 am »
Welcome to the fun!

gibgirl

« Reply #1268 on: October 09, 2017, 02:11:33 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm Angela. I got started on gaming at age 5, when my parents picked up an Atari 2600, and haven't stopped since. Whether on the Atari, TI-99/4A we had in the mid-80s, the 286 PC the family got when I was in high school, the SNES and Jaguar I had in College, or the variety of systems since. I even spent 5 years working at Microsoft as part of the Xbox console team, developing updates for the Xbox 360 software.

I had started to dabble in game collecting in around 2004-2005, but didn't really do much then other than pick up a few classic consoles and games. Ended up selling off a bunch of games in 2010, which I now very much regret - as not only did I sell of an Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, and PS1, but also a Sega Saturn with about 10 games, and my Atari Jaguar collection, including the JagCD, all in box. :(  That's right there with the Vectrex and 10 games I had bought from a friend and later sold around 1990 in regards to things I wish I still had.

This jump into game collecting is different though. Our housemate moved out, leaving an empty bonus room in our house, which has become my game room. And with the dedicated space, I'm going big - a new 4K tv, an Xbox, 360, PS2, Gamecube, and Wii, all currently connected and playable, with an Xbox One X Scorpio Edition coming in November. The Wii is a new purchase, picked up a few PS1 games, over doubled my PS2 collection, but really am focusing on the Xbox 360, since I already had over 100 games. I'm also going to find chances to start dabbling in the older stuff, including going back to my roots with the Atari 2600.

I also have a pinball machine, Demolition Man, an empty Golden Tee cabined to turn into a MAME machine, and an Atari Gauntlet cabinet that I've started restoring.

Looking forward to some chances to trade games with everyone here.

telly

« Reply #1269 on: October 09, 2017, 02:48:55 pm »
Welcome! :)
Currently Playing:

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1270 on: October 10, 2017, 10:33:13 am »
Chewie, NextTheFlex, and Gibgirl; welcome to the show!  Hope y'all like it here and join right in on the fun.  We have a pretty good time. 

« Reply #1271 on: October 10, 2017, 11:14:53 am »
Hi everyone, I'm Angela. I got started on gaming at age 5, when my parents picked up an Atari 2600, and haven't stopped since. Whether on the Atari, TI-99/4A we had in the mid-80s, the 286 PC the family got when I was in high school, the SNES and Jaguar I had in College, or the variety of systems since. I even spent 5 years working at Microsoft as part of the Xbox console team, developing updates for the Xbox 360 software.

I had started to dabble in game collecting in around 2004-2005, but didn't really do much then other than pick up a few classic consoles and games. Ended up selling off a bunch of games in 2010, which I now very much regret - as not only did I sell of an Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, and PS1, but also a Sega Saturn with about 10 games, and my Atari Jaguar collection, including the JagCD, all in box. :(  That's right there with the Vectrex and 10 games I had bought from a friend and later sold around 1990 in regards to things I wish I still had.

This jump into game collecting is different though. Our housemate moved out, leaving an empty bonus room in our house, which has become my game room. And with the dedicated space, I'm going big - a new 4K tv, an Xbox, 360, PS2, Gamecube, and Wii, all currently connected and playable, with an Xbox One X Scorpio Edition coming in November. The Wii is a new purchase, picked up a few PS1 games, over doubled my PS2 collection, but really am focusing on the Xbox 360, since I already had over 100 games. I'm also going to find chances to start dabbling in the older stuff, including going back to my roots with the Atari 2600.

I also have a pinball machine, Demolition Man, an empty Golden Tee cabined to turn into a MAME machine, and an Atari Gauntlet cabinet that I've started restoring.

Looking forward to some chances to trade games with everyone here.
Shameless plug, but if you decide you want some 2600 games I've got a ton I've been trying to get rid of, I'll make you a heck of a deal.

gibgirl

« Reply #1272 on: October 10, 2017, 11:55:35 am »
Shameless plug, but if you decide you want some 2600 games I've got a ton I've been trying to get rid of, I'll make you a heck of a deal.

I have yet to pick up another console, but I may get in touch with you soon about that deal.  :)

« Reply #1273 on: October 22, 2017, 07:40:34 pm »
Hey all!

I've recently decided to jump back into retro video games after a long lay off. I've been looking for a community where I could call home (outside of reddit) and I think I found the place! In the past, I was an avid collector of all games from my childhood. I'm starting from a blank slate all over again, as I sold off my prior collection a few years back to help with a downpayment of a home. This time around, I'm looking to narrow in on Playstation One.

I hope to see all of you in the forums!

Cheers!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1274 on: October 23, 2017, 10:24:13 am »
Hey all!

I've recently decided to jump back into retro video games after a long lay off. I've been looking for a community where I could call home (outside of reddit) and I think I found the place! In the past, I was an avid collector of all games from my childhood. I'm starting from a blank slate all over again, as I sold off my prior collection a few years back to help with a downpayment of a home. This time around, I'm looking to narrow in on Playstation One.

I hope to see all of you in the forums!

Cheers!

Welcome to the party!  Enjoy it.