Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 250907 times)

desocietas

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #1275 on: October 23, 2017, 07:03:29 pm »
Hey all!

I've recently decided to jump back into retro video games after a long lay off. I've been looking for a community where I could call home (outside of reddit) and I think I found the place! In the past, I was an avid collector of all games from my childhood. I'm starting from a blank slate all over again, as I sold off my prior collection a few years back to help with a downpayment of a home. This time around, I'm looking to narrow in on Playstation One.

I hope to see all of you in the forums!

Cheers!

Welcome! I like your avatar :) I've been here for many years now and hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Do you think you'll focus on one genre of the PS1 or just generally all of them?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #1276 on: October 24, 2017, 01:22:37 am »
Hey all!

I've recently decided to jump back into retro video games after a long lay off. I've been looking for a community where I could call home (outside of reddit) and I think I found the place! In the past, I was an avid collector of all games from my childhood. I'm starting from a blank slate all over again, as I sold off my prior collection a few years back to help with a downpayment of a home. This time around, I'm looking to narrow in on Playstation One.

Cheers!

Welcome! I like your avatar :) I've been here for many years now and hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Do you think you'll focus on one genre of the PS1 or just generally all of them?

Thank you for the warm welcome! I really appreciate it. From the looks of it, I think I’ve found my new long term home. The community feels close and helpful. Huge qualities that I wanted in a forum. Not to mention a solid database to boot! For PS1, I plan on an array of games. I’m going to be focusing on my childhood games first. Once I have those, I’ll probably focus on the horror and rpg genres.

desocietas

« Reply #1277 on: October 24, 2017, 11:30:49 am »
Hey all!

Cheers!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I really appreciate it. From the looks of it, I think I’ve found my new long term home. The community feels close and helpful. Huge qualities that I wanted in a forum. Not to mention a solid database to boot! For PS1, I plan on an array of games. I’m going to be focusing on my childhood games first. Once I have those, I’ll probably focus on the horror and rpg genres.

Nice! Yeah, my collecting started with gathering up items I remembered fondly from childhood. Now that I think about it, I think my first eBay purchases were to replace games that had been stolen, so maybe that's how it all started, ha. There are quite a few horror and RPG fans here, so I think you'll have good company :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #1278 on: October 24, 2017, 11:39:35 am »
Hey all!

Cheers!

Nice! Yeah, my collecting started with gathering up items I remembered fondly from childhood. Now that I think about it, I think my first eBay purchases were to replace games that had been stolen, so maybe that's how it all started, ha. There are quite a few horror and RPG fans here, so I think you'll have good company :)
I really wish I could remember what kickstarted my collecting.  I already had a moderate sized collection before I had graduated college.

Warmsignal

« Reply #1279 on: December 11, 2017, 02:35:14 pm »
Hey all!

Cheers!

I really wish I could remember what kickstarted my collecting.  I already had a moderate sized collection before I had graduated college.

I'd tinkered with buying old games before, but for me it seriously began from a desire to delve into the Sega CD. I wasn't playing modern games at all at this point. It was 09, and the last I had played was PS2. At flea markets then, stuff was so cheap I figured I'd start picking up anything that looked good and it went from them there. But I'd say even then, YouTube is primarily what inspired me.

« Reply #1280 on: December 24, 2017, 02:52:47 pm »
Lol, pretty buried here on page 87...

I go by Alzorath most places (though I have noticed a couple places where my name is getting used where it's not me - including a couple people using it to get on servers, if you are ever wondering if it's me, poke me on here, twitter, or my yt channel and I can confirm or deny it).

My collection history? I actually used to have a decent NES collection, as well as an assortment of RPGs and Strategy titles for a variety of systems - though due to moving a lot, a dry spell with gaming, and a few other things - I'm basically having to start over from scratch, and I decided to use VGCollect to track it this time because the community seems like a good one.

Most of my current console collection was gathered over the course of this year (with a few exceptions that I happened to have in a box that got overlooked).

What Spurred my return to collecting? My youtube channel oddly enough, I've been fiddling about with different types of PC games over the years, and felt the urge to go back and show off a number of classic, interesting, or notable games from the past (and try some oddities I never had the opportunity to play) - with the plan currently to do proper walkthroughs and reviews of them in 2018.

--

What do I Collect?
- Gaming-wise: Classic or Oddity RPGs & Strategy games are my primary focus, but I honestly collect from every genre (just saving sports for last or during a slow period due to how common they are). My current system focus is PS1, PS2, and Gamecube - and I will be expanding to PS3 and Wii/WiiU next year (focusing on RPGs and Strategy titles of course). I don't collect for value, but rather gameplay (and I favor games I can record so it can help fund expanding my collection). My goal is two-fold, preservation of the original medium, but also (and more importantly) preservation of the gameplay through video archives.

- Non-Gaming: Textbooks, Art Books, and Reference Books (smaller than my gaming collection, but it is something I make regular trips to Half-Price books for, since it's a cheap way to get old text books) - while most my books are related to Art, Psychology, and Photography - I'm at a point where I'm comfortable expanding it to include pretty much any subject that interests me (I'm thinking Electrical Engineering next lol). Due to collecting Art books, I also have small bits of comic book and graphic novel collecting floating about. (I'm sitting at a bit over 100 textbooks, out of about 200-300 books total, that have survived the last 3 moves intact)

I've also collected MtG cards twice in my life... each time getting fed up with it and abandoning it (even gave my old collection to a friend as a wedding gift since I couldn't take it in a move... wish I would've kept in touch with him - I'd have told him to get some specific cards in cases now since they've spiked in value)... my newer collection is still with me, but far less valuable. I think the main reason I keep falling out with it is that I don't feel the desire to play it enough to justify it - so it just collects dust and doesn't bring me joy. (and if you can't tell, I can't stand "collecting for value's sake" - the value to me is in the enjoyment of the pieces, not the shelf-count).

I'm waiting for the steam importer to really do my PC collection, since manually putting that in would be a nightmare (I need to put in most of my physical PC game collection still too, as of posting this, but I need to unpack it from storage to do so accurately) - my collection might also change after I get done going through some old family storage... since I might find more odd boxes in there with interesting stuff.

--

Why VGCollect? Community. Frankly, I could track my stuff on a spreadsheet if all I wanted to do was track what I had, but having a community to enjoy the hobby with makes it immensely better - and the community is what makes this stand out above other places.

arkaneer

« Reply #1281 on: January 10, 2018, 06:30:59 am »
Hi there

Been lurking here a while and decided to join as it seems like a great community.

Thing is, I have a collection with the grand total of zero games! I realised recently I have been playing games for forty years (yes, I am fairly old) and other than some great memories, I have nothing physical to show for it. I have always sold games on when I am done with them.

Why now? I have recently converted our garage into an office/man cave :)  I have the means and the room, so why not.

I like most types of game, with a soft spot for a good turn based RPG.

I have bought a shiny new PS4 Pro and a copy of Wolfenstein 2 to be getting on with. I'll most likely get a Switch later in the year, especially if Metroid Prime 4 is confirmed for 2018.

Thanks for reading!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:11:40 pm by arkaneer »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1282 on: January 23, 2018, 11:49:10 am »
Good to see some fresh faces... er... avatars and usernames!  Good to see some new avatars and usernames!

Welcome to the best little corner I've found on the interwebs.  Enjoy it here.  We all do. 

elecks

« Reply #1283 on: February 02, 2018, 02:07:51 pm »
Hi there,

I am Elecks (Alex) and I'm fairly new to collecting. My favorite consoles are NES, N64 and PS 1,2,3,4. I live in Poland, sadly due communism it is really hard to find older games, but thanks to the internet i can always try to grow!

I have this small collection, yes it is really small as i just started to collect.
https://vgcollect.com/elecks

I hope you like my start and i hope to increase my collection fast.
Nintendo Entertainment System (Pal B)
Nintendo 64 European (Grape Purple)
Playstation 4 Pro

« Reply #1284 on: April 05, 2018, 09:56:28 am »
Hello!  I love Metroidvanias, 2D beat-em-ups, yard sales, and dogs.

« Reply #1285 on: April 05, 2018, 02:34:02 pm »
Good to see some fresh faces... er... avatars and usernames!  Good to see some new avatars and usernames!

Welcome to the best little corner I've found on the interwebs.  Enjoy it here.  We all do.

(*I won’t assume that your warm welcome was directed at me, as this was posted months before I even found the place, heh, but moving right along...)

Curious: What’s with the ‘Pro Supporter’ title I keep seeing?   Assuming it’s some sort of paid membership/Patreon situation?
For that matter, is this place privately owned or part of a larger conglomo?

azure

« Reply #1286 on: April 05, 2018, 02:43:52 pm »

You kool in my books, welcome to the site!

« Reply #1287 on: April 05, 2018, 02:57:44 pm »

You kool in my books, welcome to the site!

Thanks!

greenman

« Reply #1288 on: July 06, 2018, 06:21:22 pm »
Hello! New to the site! Was looking for a video game version of Discogs. Stumbled upon this site and Mobygames. Chose this site because I like the design and look of it. From NYC. Collect pretty much anything from NES to PS2. Nothing too old nothing too new. Don't like selling or buying. Looking to collect, trade, and have fun posting up my video game collection. Nice to be a part this community!

kashell

« Reply #1289 on: July 09, 2018, 03:13:35 pm »
Wrong thread. Fixed. @.@

Also, welcome greenman!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:15:13 pm by kashell »