Author Topic: The Halloween Horror Movie Thread  (Read 1068 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

The Halloween Horror Movie Thread
« on: October 30, 2016, 04:28:33 am »
Just in time for Halloween, The Horror Movie Thread!

How many horror fans do we have at VGCollect? What are your favorite type of horror movies? Monsters? Killers? Supernatural? Classics? What are some of your favorites? Any you plan on watching for Halloween?

I've been a lifelong horror fan thanks to my Dad. He was a movie fanatic, and horror was a specialty of his. I learned a lot of the genre by going to the local video rental store and clear out their horror section. Nowadays I collect them; VHS, DVD, or Blu-Ray.

Personally, I'm mostly into 80s slashers, zombie movies, and vampire movies. With a little bit of the other stuff sprinkled in.

My personal top 25 horror films:

1.   A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
2.   Day of the Dead (1985)
3.   Dawn of the Dead (1978)
4.   The Monster Squad
5.   A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors
6.   The Lost Boys
7.   Predator
8.   Event Horizon
9.   Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (Part 4)
10.   Pandorum
11.   Friday the 13th (2009)
12.   30 Days of Night
13.   Fright Night (1985)
14.   Poltergeist (1982)
15.   The Faculty
16.   The People Under the Stairs
17.   Child's Play
18.   Final Destination
19.   Ravenous
20.   Innocent Blood
21.   The Ring
22.   Cabin Fever (2002)
23.   Cloverfield
24.   Wrong Turn
25.   Interview With the Vampire

Honorable Mentions: Shaun of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, The Prowler, Resident Evil, Westworld, Blade, Underworld.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:02:47 am by burningdoom »

Re: The Halloween Horror Movie Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 04:55:20 am »
I don't like much horror other than quality zombie films.  No interest in most of the schlocky zombie flicks that are just about gore and nothing else.  Probably one or two other horror movies I like that aren't zombie related, but generally I watch zombie flicks for the post-apocalyptic settings.

-Dawn of the Dead
-Dawn of the Dead 2004
-Day of the Dead
-28 Days Later
-28 Weeks Later
-Zombieland
-Shaun of the Dead
-Evil Dead 2
-Army of Darkness
-Resident Evil

Probably a few others I'm forgetting.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 11:08:20 am »
Alien

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 11:48:12 am »
I really love comedy crossover horror movies like Shaun of the dead and Zombieland and Fido :D.   Those are my favorites.  Especially Zombieland which might be my favorite movie of all time.  but I assume you mean more of the traditional scary stuff.  my favorite scary horrors are  The ring, incidious, and this other movie I seen a few months back. i'm not sure if someone can help me with a title.

but the plot is that aliens invade earth, little flying bug aliens that devour people, and then this big master alien comes from the sky and it throws the smaller flying bug aliens at people and it has bodies stored in a shed and nobody believes the kid and then some military veteran guy believes the kid but then he has a nervous break down and thinks he's back in the service and then he gets paranoid and thinks the kid is also an alien. the kid has a blonde girlfriend, the blonde girlfriend and the kid retreat to a abandoned house, the boy gets devoured by flying bugs while asleep and then the master aliens smashes through the window and then the girl leaves with some other sheriff guy I think and they blow up the alien with c4 in the shed and stuff.  it was a pretty epic horror movie.  mid to late 70s id assume :).     

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 12:48:30 pm »
I love horror films. I'm not going to make a list or anything, but one that I'd recommend is The Changeling. I watched it earlier this year for the first time and it was great. Really creepy. I definitely think anyone who hasn't seen it yet should do so!

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 12:53:15 pm »
I've been watching a lot of horror movies this month, most of which have been pretty decent:
1. Woman in Black (a bit short, but fairly intense and good acting)
2. Curse of Chucky (finally got around to watching this one, it's ok as far as a sequel goes, but I still don't regard it as a serious horror movie)
3. The Evil Dead (watched this one finally too, thought it was cheesy as hell but loved the effects and the makeup)
4. Evil Dead 2 (had to watch this one too, loved the humor/horror aspect of it and became a fan of the series after watching it)
5. Army of Darkness (checked this one out too, really like the fish out of water concept but I'd call it more of a fantasy adventure than a horror film)
6. Ash vs Evil Dead (can't call it a "film" because it's a TV series but I really like it a lot. It mixes the one liners and humor from Army of Darkness with the sort of setting and action from Evil Dead 2)
7. Devil's Pass (one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot)
8. Killer Klowns from Outer Space (pure cheese, but I love the effects and the classic eighties type character, definitely a fan now)
9. The Babadook (not really my cup of tea, seemed like the Babadook character didn't even need to be in it, but not a bad film overall)

Have the next day off, so probably going to try and watch a few more.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 12:53:58 pm »
I love horror films. I'm not going to make a list or anything, but one that I'd recommend is The Changeling. I watched it earlier this year for the first time and it was great. Really creepy. I definitely think anyone who hasn't seen it yet should do so!
I watched this earlier this year too! I definitely agree with you.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 01:30:06 pm »

Nice! I watched it in bed and felt nervous when I needed to get up and go to the toilet because it was dark in the hallway. I'm 27!  ;D

aliensstudios

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 01:43:15 pm »

Nice! I watched it in bed and felt nervous when I needed to get up and go to the toilet because it was dark in the hallway. I'm 27!  ;D
Ha! That happens to me all the time. Sometimes I'll be taking a shower at 3 in the morning to get ready for work after I've watched something freaky and when I close my eyes to rinse my hair I'll start freaking out and try to open my eyes as quickly as possible

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 02:25:41 pm »
Ha! That happens to me all the time. Sometimes I'll be taking a shower at 3 in the morning to get ready for work after I've watched something freaky and when I close my eyes to rinse my hair I'll start freaking out and try to open my eyes as quickly as possible
Well it's good to know I'm not the only one to get a little spooked from time to time  :P

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 10:46:37 am »
The alien and predator movies and scream are the only horror movies I like