Author Topic: Any particular game series you are trying to complete a collection of?  (Read 5640 times)

Also, whether its also a series you are trying to complete a collection of, is there a series you are attempting to play through either all in a row or over time.

For collection, I'm working on getting as many of the Final Fantasy titles as I can. I really haven't decided that if at this point I'd like to actually go for a collection of all of the titles, across all consoles, or if I want to just get the copies I'd most likely play, so ps1, ps2, and the various mobile copies as well. I'd also love to get a hold of the FFVII titles on PSP and where ever else those are available.

I would love to eventually play through all of the FF titles, as of now I've only finished FFX, and have only played XIII and VIII beyond that, but right now I'm still working on late game FFX so I'm not sure when I want to start one of the older titles.

In terms of collections I may finish sooner rather than later, I'd like to get the rest of the Crash Bandicoot titles for ps1, games I grew up on and would love to own and play through again.

Zelda is another big one for me, only having played a bit of A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time in the past, its a huge area in gaming that I've missed out on.

Finally the Metal Gear series. I've played and completed 4 and played a fair bit of 5, but I've never finished the older titles.

I feel like the second half to this post is more, what are some bucket list games you need to play haha at least for me.

Some other series I'd be interested in though I know very little about  are the .Hack games, Xenosaga, and potentially the Tales of games. I've never played any of these games though I do own the first Xenosaga, but have always been interested in them.

creag4

Re: Any particular game series you are trying to complete a collection of?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 11:08:34 pm »
Ah at this point I'd be happy to complete a collection of anything lol.  I've been so off-track when it's come to collecting recently, I usually just grab anything that interests me when I run into it.  As of late I've been picking up a bunch of random RPG's, but am really close to a completed Castlevania collection.  I think all I need now are the N64 titles, Castlevania Legends for the Gameboy, and Chronicles for the PS1.  Other than that I just picked up a loose disc of Rondo of Blood for the Turbografx CD, which was shocking even to me since it's pretty rare to find one.  Overall, I'm a big Final Fantasy guy too, but after collecting all of the main titles, there's really not much more.  I did play through Dirge of Cerberus not too long ago, it was one of the titles I actually dragged my feet playing, it practically sat on the shelf for a few years lol.  Just been collecting too much... not enough time to play as of late. 

As for the series you were interested in, I would recommend the Xenosaga and Tales of Series, but I haven't played the .Hack series, so I wouldn't know.  I recently gave up my copy of Xeno III, but still have the first two.  As for tales of it really depends on the system you're looking to play, I played through Xillia and enjoyed it a bit.

I would without a doubt recommend Metal Gear Solid for the PS1, probably one of my favorite titles on the system.  It shouldn't cost you very much either, maybe $5-$15 depending on the seller.  Definitely a game you should pickup.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:19:01 pm by creag4 »
Currently playing: Evo: The Search for Eden (SNES) & Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1).

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 11:13:59 pm »
I've essentially "finished" my Zelda collection, I own all the main Zelda games, though where completion comes from is getting them all CIB along with collecting a lot of the variations and such.  I have tons of Zelda stuff also and it takes up above 4 shelves in my bookcases and the tops of the two bookshelves.  Toys, guides, other things.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 11:25:58 pm »
Ah at this point I'd be happy to complete a collection of anything lol.  I've been so off-track when it's come to collecting recently, I usually just grab anything that interests me when I run into it.  As of late I've been picking up a bunch of random RPG's, but am really close to a completed Castlevania collection.  I think all I need now are the N64 titles, Castlevania Legends for the Gameboy, and Chronicles for the PS1.  Other than that I just picked up a loose disc of Rondo of Blood for the Turbografx CD, which was shocking even to me since it's pretty rare to find one.  Overall, I'm a big Final Fantasy guy too, but after collecting all of the main titles, there's really not much more.  I did play through Dirge of Cerberus not too long ago, it was one of the titles I actually dragged my feet playing, it practically sat on the shelf for a few years lol.  Just been collecting too much... not enough time to play as of late. 

As for the series you were interested in, I would recommend the Xenosaga and Tales of Series, but I haven't played the .Hack series, so I wouldn't know.  I recently gave up my copy of Xeno III, but still have the first two.  As for tales of it really depends on the system you're looking to play, I played through Xillia and enjoyed it a bit.

I would without a doubt recommend Metal Gear Solid for the PS1, probably one of my favorite titles on the system.  It shouldn't cost you very much either, maybe $5-$15 depending on the seller.  Definitely a game you should pickup.

The Castlevania games are another series I'd love to get a few titles from ranging from older to newer and see how I feel about them, probably be another inclusion in the "complete this series" group lol.

As for Metal Gear I do have the first title, picked it up at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo last month, and my buddy got 2 and 3 for ps2 so I could probably either buy them off him later or at least borrow them. I've never played 1 but I have seen a whole playthrough, I do look forward to giving it a go myself though.

I've essentially "finished" my Zelda collection, I own all the main Zelda games, though where completion comes from is getting them all CIB along with collecting a lot of the variations and such.  I have tons of Zelda stuff also and it takes up above 4 shelves in my bookcases and the tops of the two bookshelves.  Toys, guides, other things.

Ya I've seen pics of peoples Zelda collections in the past and been blown away haha, some of them put my entire meager collection to shame. I'd love to pickup what strategy guides are out there too, I could not find any at the convention in Portland I don't know if I was just missing them or others got to them before me.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 11:42:45 pm »
The first twelve Fire Emblems. I've already got most of them (Even if two of them technically aren't mine) Even if it isn't actually the entire series, I've just set out to collect the first 12. I pretty much have accepted that unless I get really lucky or something, I will never own a copy of Fire Emblem Thracia 776... And I refuse to buy an SF Memory cart with it on it even though it is a lot cheaper...

creag4

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 11:45:49 pm »
Welp... here I am... been a collector for years and didn't know there were 12+ different Fire Emblem titles... lol.  I knew there were a few released in Japan only, but didn't think there were that many.  I thought I was lucky to even pickup my Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn copies.  Not too many people want to let go of theirs anymore.  A very nice collection to have though!  Fire Emblem is always sought after!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:48:02 pm by creag4 »
Currently playing: Evo: The Search for Eden (SNES) & Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1).

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 11:51:46 pm »
There are definitely series I plan on having full sets of the main games at some point.  I am pretty close with my favorite series, Zelda.  Basically if I like a franchise enough, I plan on playing through all of the games, so I should end up with a full collection at some point.

The only series that I am actively working towards a complete set, including all CIB titles and every possible variation, is the Wizardry series.  I feel like this franchise has not been properly documented beyond the first game. This is likely to be a lifelong project that never gets completed, but I hope to have something of merit to contribute to game history/preservation before I kick the bucket. 
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

creag4

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 11:56:02 pm »
Idk if I'm an alien, but I may be the only person in the world to not be a diehard Zelda fan.  The first Zelda I played as a kid was Wind Waker, which I enjoyed, but it never really caught on with me.  I tried Twilight Princess too, but never really got to the older 8-bit/16-bit releases.  I own a copy of Link to the Past, and Ocarina of Time, but never got around to playing them.  My bad lol!  Almost everyone I know is a big Zelda fan, I've seen some really nice standees and displays be purchased over the years as well, just never been as interested.

I've never heard of the Wizardry Series, sounds interesting though!  I might want to take a look and see. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:58:21 pm by creag4 »

pacpix

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 12:07:26 am »
Idk if I'm an alien, but I may be the only person in the world to not be a diehard Zelda fan.  The first Zelda I played as a kid was Wind Waker, which I enjoyed, but it never really caught on with me.  I tried Twilight Princess too, but never really got to the older 8-bit/16-bit releases.  I own a copy of Link to the Past, and Ocarina of Time, but never got around to playing them.  My bad lol!  Almost everyone I know is a big Zelda fan, I've seen some really nice standees and displays be purchased over the years as well, just never been as interested.

I've never heard of the Wizardry Series, sounds interesting though!  I might want to take a look and see.

Aww man Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past are my two favorite Zelda games! (OoT being my favorite game of all time!)  Definitely worth giving a chance if you have the time; not that any of us here don't have enough games to play as it is  :P  Wind Waker never really clicked with me either, still one of my lesser favorite games in the series.

Wizardry is definitely an interesting series.  It's archaic, cruel, and has aged poorly, but there is just something about it that fascinates me.  If only I had time to play all of them >.>
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 12:30:34 am »
Not something I'm actively trying to complete, but I would like to have every release of Shenmue in all regions, including the Japanese "What is Shenmue?" demo disks and US Shenmue which was a Japanese exclusive. My love for that series is off the charts, as my nearly one grand investment in the Kickstarter can contest.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 12:36:46 am »
I'd say for a singular series, it'd be the Skylanders franchise. I've loved the Toys to life concept since the start, and have always tried to have a massive army ready and raring to go for the next game. Though, I'm not trying to get "every" skylander out there as I don't see a need to pick up series 2/3, lightcore, or alt color variants when there's no real in-game difference.

Still, outside of the newly released game, I've got a near full collection, with everyone from Adventure, Giants, and Swap Force acquired and missing 6 from Trap Team and 3 from Superchargers (plus 9 vehicles, but meh.). Imaginators still has a long way to go with 25 senseis and 5 crystals left to get, but I've got at least a year 'til the next game.

indenton

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 01:22:48 am »
I have a humble little Klonoa collection, right now I'm missing 'Empire of Dreams' for GBA and 'Moonlight Museum' for WonderSwan

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 04:39:00 am »
I have a humble little Klonoa collection, right now I'm missing 'Empire of Dreams' for GBA and 'Moonlight Museum' for WonderSwan

I've heard good things about the Klonoa games! I don't think it'd be my cup of tea, though.

Idk if I'm an alien, but I may be the only person in the world to not be a diehard Zelda fan.

Same. I bought the original for my 3DS, but didn't get too far. I got enthused for a few days and wanted to play through the series, but Nintendo games just don't always sit well with me.

For a while I was collecting the Shin Megami Tensei series more intently than any other, but I've been trying to tone the game buying down a bit after my last purchase. I have a modest little collection of games for it, nothing special, but I do try to pick up used copies of special editions if I see them at Gamestop or whatnot. I've found that the Persona titles are the only ones I ever actually manage to complete lol. Maybe it's because they're a bit easier.

Here's hoping P5 will turn out well! I just wish we got the same deal as the Japanese special edition, where all the previous Persona games came with it... I would have far preferred that over what's being included. Oh well. :(

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 06:26:56 am »

I've heard good things about the Klonoa games! I don't think it'd be my cup of tea, though.

Would have been a far better sony mascot than crash or Spyro besides that the games are allot better.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 06:33:17 am »
that over what's being included. Oh well. :(

I really like the sound of Klonoa too and personally feel they may be the type of games I like. Good luck with your Klonoa collection!

I've been working on a The Legendary Starfy collection spread out over a long time and would love to get some specific items such as the big Starfy plush (the smaller Densetsu no Stafy 4 one is less rare but still uncommon), the Beanbag Mascots or the Densetsu no Stafy pencil case even though realistically I don't feel the collection is going to reach completion (excluding not-for-sale items such as posters). Unfortunately some of these items are really rare.

I did come across the Beanbag Mascots twice on Yahoo Auctions Japan, but I couldn't find the time to get in a bid sadly.
Nintendo collector/creator and aspiring mother. ✿