Author Topic: Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past  (Read 1703 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
« on: November 04, 2016, 02:44:45 pm »

Anyone else playing this or has played this? I'm in the middle of it right now, and I'm feeling like it's just not very good.

Instead of a giant world to explore, like pretty much every other Dragon Quest game ever, you're confined to these little islands. Most of them having a single town, and a single dungeon. It just feels like a bunch of miniature games strung together, and the overall story (at least so far) is not engaging really at all.

I'm so disappointed, being as big of a DQ fan as I am. I'm gonna continue plugging through it, though, hoping it improves.

Your thoughts on it?

desocietas

Re: Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 02:54:48 pm »
Aw, that's a shame. I never played the PS1 version but own the 3DS version. Haven't cracked it open yet, though :/ Not sure how much they've changed from the original outside of retranslations, so maybe the age is showing?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 02:58:05 pm »
Aw, that's a shame. I never played the PS1 version but own the 3DS version. Haven't cracked it open yet, though :/ Not sure how much they've changed from the original outside of retranslations, so maybe the age is showing?

Nah, age isn't a problem. I just replayed through the GBC ones not too long ago, and enjoyed them.

azure

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 03:20:20 pm »
Only the PS1 version, plan to get this one at some point. Not my favorite of the DQs, but still lots of fun. I feel the game is definitely too long though.

soera

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 03:50:24 pm »
I thought the first one was great. I havent gotten into this one yet but as far as what the DQ forums say, its basically the same as the PS1 version other than a few minor changes.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 04:05:18 pm »
I thought the first one was great. I havent gotten into this one yet but as far as what the DQ forums say, its basically the same as the PS1 version other than a few minor changes.

Does the original have it where you can avoid random battles? Because this 3DS version is set up like that, how Chrono Trigger is.

And wasn't the original a 2D entry? This one is fully 3D.

soera

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 04:08:43 pm »
No, the first one was all random battles. And the original version was not 3D.

hexen

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 06:59:01 pm »
Dragon Quest VII is my favorite DQ and also my favorite JRPG of all time...

There is just so much to it that I love. The island to island style is not really any different than how most other DQs play out. It's no more or less linear than the normal fashion as you don't really explore in other DQs, you pretty much go from A to B with distractions in-between. One thing the islands do brilliantly is give you much better self contained stories. With the really hefty amount you go to, I found at least half to have really interesting plots, with the other half still being pretty good. Ones like the ending of the mech island still stick with me today. As for the gameplay... it's just so damn long! You have a chunky story that can last 100 hours, plus a pretty good amount of post-game content with even more in the remakes. I also love the monster collecting and town building mini-games (I liked the town building better in the PS1 version, though). The classes... so many classes! I love mastering classes and learning new moves, of which there are hundreds. It kinda stinks in this version they remain job exclusive whereas in the PS1 they where permanent, but I can see why they did it.

In the end, it is just classic DQ action compacted into an insane amount of content. I love the story structure a lot because it's unique and gives a lot of variety. Plus it has a lot of stuff for someone who loves grinding and leveling like me.

My main confusion is for you could like the earlier DQs but not VII. You need to get your incorrect opinion fixed! (Not really, but I love the game).
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 08:13:53 pm »
There is just so much to it that I love. The island to island style is not really any different than how most other DQs play out. It's no more or less linear than the normal fashion as you don't really explore in other DQs, you pretty much go from A to B with distractions in-between.

I don't agree. You may have more limited travel at first, because you're on foot, but it opens up a LOT in other games when you get a ship, and then even more when you get whatever flying device you end up with in most games. HOPEFULLY that happens later in the game. But with the island-to-island story, byt the time that happens, nearly everything will be explored if it continues in this fashion.

Even on foot only, in other games, they're usually extra caves or dungeons that aren't essential to the storyline that you can find and explore. In this, that hasn't been the case so far. It's the town, and then a dungeon, and then island done. And maybe a treasure chest off the beaten path, if you're lucky. I've unlocked islands from every color, so I hope the later islands have a little more to them.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 12:55:32 am »
I’m about 13 hours in, I am enjoying it a lot.

The first battle doesn’t happen until about three hours in, that was a bit of a drag. But then the game gets going.

That’s all I came here to say.

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 11:28:39 am »
I've only played the ps1 version. but from what I've heard supposedly the 3ds version removed or dumbed down all the puzzles?

I personally am not a fan of the 3d grapics on 3ds compared to the 2d sprites used on the ps1 version but that's probably not an issue for most.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 11:34:33 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 03:23:17 pm »
So far it’s been very light on puzzles (can’t compare to the PS1 original as I never got very far into it). Much more fetch questing than anything, eg: “go talk to x at the other end of the island” and then they’ll tell you about a colored shard they saw inside the island dungeon and then you have to go retrieve it.

kashell

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 10:42:29 pm »
http://kashelltriumph.com/dragon-quest-vii/

Excellent writeup.
I just finished DQXI, which was AMAZING, and I’m a big fan of DQVIII, so I’ve been curious to delve into other games in the series (only other one I’ve ever played is DQ1). Sounds like DQVII might be an acquired taste, but I’ve heard good things about the remakes of IV, V, and VI.

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 06:52:28 am »
http://kashelltriumph.com/dragon-quest-vii/

Excellent writeup.
I just finished DQXI, which was AMAZING, and I’m a big fan of DQVIII, so I’ve been curious to delve into other games in the series (only other one I’ve ever played is DQ1). Sounds like DQVII might be an acquired taste, but I’ve heard good things about the remakes of IV, V, and VI.

VI is usually seen as the black sheep although it is one of the more pretty looking snes rpg's. DQ IX(9) is probably my personal choice wich I would rank at the bottom in the DQ series.

DQ VII is not the best but it ain't the worst either middle of the road really.

The best DQ games in general seem to be V, VIII XI and maybe III
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 12:01:26 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!