Author Topic: Gaming Resolutions for 2017  (Read 4951 times)

Re: Gaming Resolutions for 2017
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 09:43:26 am »
I do not collect games for the sake of collecting, I try to play every game I get. I seriously cannot stand people who collect just to collect.

I'm with you; every game I own was bought with the intention of me playing it some day because I had an interest in that game before I purchased it. However, I don't think less of people who pretty much vacuum collect, aka buy anything and everyting that they can get their hands on. This hobby is filled with a lot of diversity, including people's collections and what games, consoles, figures, guides, whatever they have. For me though, buying a bunch of old Madden or NBA games just for the sake of adding them has never appealed to me.

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 03:39:53 pm »
I do not collect games for the sake of collecting, I try to play every game I get. I seriously cannot stand people who collect just to collect.

I'm with you; every game I own was bought with the intention of me playing it some day because I had an interest in that game before I purchased it. However, I don't think less of people who pretty much vacuum collect, aka buy anything and everything that they can get their hands on. This hobby is filled with a lot of diversity, including people's collections and what games, consoles, figures, guides, whatever they have. For me though, buying a bunch of old Madden or NBA games just for the sake of adding them has never appealed to me.

I'm a bit of both. I love collecting because I like collecting, but I still want to eventually play every game, but that vaulted "someday" drifts further away for some games as the collection grows and my free time shrinks (It also doesn't help that most of my favorite games are really long ones).

kashell

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 09:11:17 am »

I'm with you; every game I own was bought with the intention of me playing it some day because I had an interest in that game before I purchased it. However, I don't think less of people who pretty much vacuum collect, aka buy anything and everyting that they can get their hands on. This hobby is filled with a lot of diversity, including people's collections and what games, consoles, figures, guides, whatever they have. For me though, buying a bunch of old Madden or NBA games just for the sake of adding them has never appealed to me.

This is about how I feel. While I don't really understand the appeal of buying a bunch of shovel ware and/or sports titles in order to fill more space, it's all good if it makes them happy. It's not like I'd buy (and play) those games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 09:42:57 am »
I'm definitely the same way. I'm a game player, who happens to have amassed a large collection over the years.

I go a step further than just collecting to play, even. I won't pass up a game I really want to play just because it's not complete. If it's just the cartridge or a disc in a generic case, and I want to play it, I'll snatch it up. I'd rather have the case, sure, but if that's not an option, oh well.

telly

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 10:58:30 am »
I'm definitely the same way. I'm a game player, who happens to have amassed a large collection over the years.

I go a step further than just collecting to play, even. I won't pass up a game I really want to play just because it's not complete. If it's just the cartridge or a disc in a generic case, and I want to play it, I'll snatch it up. I'd rather have the case, sure, but if that's not an option, oh well.

That's interesting; for disc based games, I'd like to at least have the cover art and the right case but I don't mind if it doesn't have the manual, extras, etc. But for PlayStation, Dreamcast and Saturn games I have to have the manual since a lot of times that is the artwork of the game too!

And obviously I need to have at least a case for my disc-based games so they don't get damaged.
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 11:21:12 am »
I seriously cannot stand people who collect just to collect.

You're in the wrong place.

Just like those folks that like to have big collections don't swing their e-peen around here, those people that are "real gamers" don't need to talk down to them.

If it's not for you, it's not for you. Folks have different styles and tastes. If that's a problem for you, there's the door.

shfan

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 02:12:38 pm »
Bleh, these never work out for me, but here goes anyway:

*Spend more time gaming, moar!
*Complete next year's 52 game challenge.
*Keep expanding and reworking the collection while spending as little as possible.
*Pick up the Limited Run games I actually really want and leaving the rest (getting much better at this now).
*Make listings on VGC for all the items I have which aren't on here.

That should keep me going :D

rayne315

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 03:04:54 pm »
1. get the last .hack game
2. get every sword art online game (I just watched this for the first time and love it since .hack was my favorite anime)
3. complete next years 52 games challenge with more games finished than this year (currently sitting at 79 finished with 1 game retired based on the online only nature of it)
4. lessen my collecting habit (the game store I go to increased the base price of games from $1 for throw away titles to $4 for those same titles)
5. find better ways of displaying handheld games (I store gb/gba games in those 9 card sleves but when you take them out and put them back a few times it tears the edges of the sheets and looks horrible)
6. get these for my ds/3ds collection or something similar (the cases can just be empty on my shelves if need be) http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Smoke+24+in+1+Game+Card+Case+Holder+Cartridge+Box+for+New+Nintendo+3DS+XL+LL&_trksid=p2047675.m4100
7. set up a backloggery (my backlog list from 2016 failed as I never updated it)
8. keep beter up to date on all new additions to my collection (I always have a few months of backlog in non added games because im lazy)
9. get and setup a youtube accout for my own enjoyment (really just need a capture device)
10. attempt to keep up to date on LRGs (I have only every missed 2 releases and currently do not have 1 of those)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:23:01 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 04:59:35 pm »
Hey all!  2017 resolutions...

1. Get the Titanfall 2 Collectors edition life-sized helmet
2. Get the Doom Collectors edition...that statue is sweet!
3. Get a 4K Ultra HDTV
4. Eagerly watching to see what Scorpio is!
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

rayne315

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 05:20:28 pm »
Hey all!  2017 resolutions...

3. Get a 4K Ultra HDTV

I would highly recommend stalking your local best buy/walmart/tv store for returned stock. every now and then they get returned TV's that they can no longer sell as "new" although they may have only ever been out of the box once/never been out of the box. at walmart my mom got a very nice deal on a 65-75 inch 4k tv for around $600 when the tv would have retailed for over $2000 because of this.

especially with the holidays coming up I can guarantee there are going to be some people who buy it go give to someone or themselves and realize in a few days or weeks they would rather just have the money back.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:27:21 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

Warmsignal

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 09:39:04 pm »
The same thing I say every year Pinky, finish my game collecting. By that I mean, basically everything up to current gen. Get that want list down to zero. Also, fail at that goal. So at least I can say I accomplished one of the resolutions.

madmax

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2016, 01:51:22 pm »
Play more JRPGs
Platinum both FFX and FFX-2
Make my own old-school JRPG

sworddude

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2016, 03:26:48 pm »
2017 resolutions

- I'm a man who likes his deals So I hope that the future will bring many great quality games in excellent shape cib for bargain prices or for free just like this year it has been a true blast even though people complain that deals are so hard to get, Seriously though, getting these deals give me the same exitement if not more as receiving birthday gifts any time I receive a package and I can finally open them many many times each year  ;D

- Getting a neo geo aes console with some basic common US games  ::)

- Making time to attend more smash bros tournaments and try to get first place only attended a few and came in 2nd, 3rd or even 4th :-\

- Being more Stylish in both personality and looks  8)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 04:32:29 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 08:43:35 am »
Collection related goals

1) Knock my wishlist back down to around 50.
2) Hit 5000 items in my collection (I'm hoping to buy significantly less next year)
3) Reinventory collection again.
4) Inventory guides/magazines.
5) Sell/Trade off dupes.

Game playing goals

1) Beat the Souls franchise (Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Dark Souls II/Bloodborne done)
2) Beat the left over spinoff Assassin's Creed games
3) Beat Uncharted Golden Abyss
4) Play through the Metal Gear franchise (Metal Gear/MGSV done)
5) Play through the Resident Evil franchise
6) Play through the Ace Combat franchise (AC1-3 done)
7) Beat 104 games
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 02:43:08 pm by ignition365 »

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2017, 01:29:22 pm »
Next year will be a fairly light year for me in regards to gaming in general. I have a lot of important things I've been putting off for too long and video games, both playing and collecting them will be on the back burner. With that said I will still be collecting and playing games, just not near the volume I have in the past. With that said, this is what I hope to accomplish next year:

- Reach 2000 games in my collection
- Replay every game in my top 15 games and re-evaluate where they stand as my favorite games of all time
- Participate in the 52-games challenge for next year (probably wont even come close to reaching 52-games beat though)
- Shoot new Game Room Tour after reaching 2000 games (moving into a new place soon and I'll have a completely different game room to show off)
- Purchase a very special, and probably very expensive game for number 2000

Due to life circumstances and changes in priorities I am going to redo my gaming resolutions for this year. I figured since it is only the beginning of February it's still okay for me to edit this :p

- I am actually going to be downsizing my collection so sadly, my peak of 1969 games will be the most games I will ever own. I do not have a specific number in mind that I'd like to get my collection down to, but more or less any game that I currently own that I've played and wasn't crazy about (especially if that game is valuable) I will be selling. I will be holding onto games that I enjoyed or can see myself playing again someday. It's fun to have a giant collection of games, but I've always been a believer that games are meant to be played, not just admired on a shelf. I have forgotten this at various points since I've been collecting, but I am going to try and change this. Which leads me into my next goal for the year.
- Play as many of the games in my collection as possible! I said before that I didn't think I was going to reach 52 games in the 52-Games challenge, but now I am optimistic I will. I feel like my priorities as a gamer have changed to actually wanting to play many of the games in my collection instead of just letting them collect dust on shelves. While I know I cannot play them all at once, I actually want to make a real effort to try and play as many of them as I can and judge whether they deserve a place in my collection. Essentially my criteria for having a game in my collection is about to become a lot more strict :p
- Purchase an Everdrive Device. I am still on the fence about which one I will be purchasing first (either the SNES, Genesis or N64 one), but I have been fascinated with these since I first heard about them several years ago. Especially in regards to 16-bit and 8-bit gaming, this may become the dominant mode of which I play games, only owning the ones that I deem the best and most worthy of being in my collection.
-Replay every game in my top 15 games list. This is really the only goal I'm carrying over from my old list. I have played so many great games since formulating my top 15 games and I have a suspicion that certain games will rise in my list and some will sadly fall to lower places due to my tastes in games changing so much over time. I am very interested to see where the chips fall on this one.