Author Topic: modern 2D side-scrollers  (Read 1135 times)

modern 2D side-scrollers
« on: November 19, 2016, 05:39:24 pm »
I was wondering what modern 2D side-scrollers some of you would recommend? two criteria:
        "modern" being anything from N64 thru Wii u (for sake of this discussion)
          games that are playable on Nintendo home consoles (thats all i have)
         could also consider eShop or Wii Shop titles, too, I guess...

obvious ones  that I know are

Wii U : New Super Mario Bro, Donkey Country tropical freeze, Yoshi wooly World, Runbow Deluxe, Shovel Knight
Wii: NSMB, DKCR, Muramasa, Kirby Epic Yarn

I think i heard about a Mystical Ninja game that was put on N64, but I've never played it.. i don't know if I can think of any Gamecube ones, although I'm sure they are out there.

As far as other wii/wii u ones, I've heard of CHild of Light, Lost in shadow, and trine 2, but again I haven't played these yet.

any recommendations? thoughts on ones i've listed? N64/Gamecube sidescrollers?

Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

indenton

Re: modern 2D side-scrollers
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 07:23:35 pm »
Mystical Ninja on N64 is a 3D action-adventure game, I suppose it has platforming elements still.  Are we talking about games framed from a side perspective, or actual 2D platformers, because Muramasa, a platformer?  In that case, Devil May Cry is a 3D platformer. 

Let's see... I've played a bit of Mischief Makers [N64].  It's one of those games that has unusual mechanics, but give it a little time and it become pretty enjoyable. 

Also, if you haven't played Rayman Legends [Wii U], what are you doing

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 01:43:55 am »
first of all, I was referring to Mystical Ninja 2 goemon's great adventure which is indeed a side scroller.. my mistake for not being more clear i suppose

secondly, i never used the word platformer

and what am i doing? thanks...
Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 08:05:13 am »
Not going to list Nintendo developed games since that would be too easy
Kind of hard pressed to find really good side-scrollers on n64 and GC outside of collections of older games like the Megaman and Sonic ones
N64 has Goemon's Great Adventure and Mischief Makers and Gamecube has both Viewtiful Joe games and Alien Hominid.
I don't know a whole lot about games on the Wii but there's Rayman Origins and Lost in Shadow.
Wii U has Rayman Legends but what you're going to want to play on this system are the indie titles available on the eshop. Games like Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Axiom Verge, Severed, Freedom Planet, Guacamelee, and Mighty Switch Force are all excellent and definitely worth playing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:19:44 am by sweetfire13 »

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 10:52:42 am »
Shovel Knight, Super Meat Boy, Limbo, The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures, 1001 Spikes, Rayman Origins/Legends, Cave Story, The Swapper, Sonic Generations, Shantae series, Mutant Mudds, VVVVVV, Terraria, Blowout
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:56:54 am by badATchaos »

indenton

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 03:46:42 pm »
Oh!! Also Wario land: The Shake Dimension [Wii] was pretty good.  Hand-drawn animation looks really nice

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 08:03:03 am »
Donkey Kong country returns

kashell

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 10:46:19 am »
You mentioned Muramasa on the Wii, but have you thought about getting the updated port on the Vita? The script has been polished and the controls feel tighter. There is also Odin Sphere, but I haven't played the new one yet. I've heard good things.

The others mentioned some excellent ones. I finished Shovel Knight a few days ago and that game is fan-friggin'-tastic; highly recommended.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 12:25:49 pm »
As far as retail games? Mischief Makers for N64? Some others for Wii - A Boy and His Blob, Ocean Commander, The Monkey King, Saint. For Wii U- Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams, Kirby's Rainbow Curse, Snoopy's Grand Adventure.