Author Topic: Favorite Albums Of 2016  (Read 1447 times)

Favorite Albums Of 2016
« on: November 29, 2016, 11:10:38 pm »
Coming up on the end of the year, usually not a lot of big stuff comes out in December, compared to say movies, where there's at least 2 or 3 good looking movies coming up in the theater, so lets post like our avorite albums of the year that you enjoyed.

Anthrax - For All Kings
Anthrax definitely came back pretty well with Belladonna, who I always liked more Bush, even if there are a few songs I like during Bush's era.  Worship Music was a real good return to form (Not the first time I'll say that in here), but as a whole, it wasn't all great.  For All Kings to me is a much more consistent album all the way through.  Just some solid heavy metal.  I actually was fortunate to see them live for the first time this year and they killed it live.  All such good musicians.

Megadeth - Dystopia
I've been a big Megadeth fan since basically the turn of the century now and I think this one is definitely up there as one of their best in awhile.  Super Collider wasn't completely awful, but a lot of it was the wrong direction, which Mustaine has done before, and it felt lacking to me.  Even if there's some good stuff in there, it personally ranks fairly low.  Thirteen I like a bit more, but that's a weird album, filled with re-recordings, stuff from other projects, and a couple new songs and I like it, but it's not great.  United Abominations was personally their last one that was fantastic to me as Endgame was fine.  The new one definitely is their best in many years, with lots of solid tunes.  At the same show for Anthrax, I also got to watch Megadeth for the first time, which is something I've been wanting for going on 16 years now.  Very satsified with that.

Babymetal - Metal Resistance
I've never shy'd away from my enjoyment of Babymetal, they are something that's missing in metal at times, which is just kinda real fun and upbeat stuff.  You get that more in like Power Metal and such, which is fitting for this album that brought in Dragonforce guitarists to work on a song.  While this album is kinda the whole band maturing a little more in theme, I personally feel it loses some of the goofiness of their first album, but this is still a good album and I'm curious to see how long they'll keep going or if they'll hit a point and just like reboot the band or keep it rolling.

Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage
This album was a bit of a surprise for me, not because it was released with no promotion, but more because of how much I liked it compared to everything they've done since City of Evil, the only most full album of theirs I like.  Everything was very hit or miss, with only a couple songs I liked, the last album being fairly boring, but with a new drummer, they definitely wanted to focus on musicianship and it shows.  Lots more guitar work, drum focus, and some real long songs that don't bore you like in Metallica's last album "Death Magnetic".  It's nothing amazing, but I've listened to the album from beginning to end a few times already as there isn't much I want to skip.

Honorable Mentions

-Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct - It's a great return to form for Metallica, definitely their best since the Black album, but it's still not very exciting.  A couple good songs here and there, but some kinda boring stuff too.  It has great production, but I wish Hammet wasn't in the band any longer.  He was not only basically cut from the writing, but he still has very little in way of guitar skills anymore.  You look at like the first 10 years of Metallica and then you look at the last two albums and see him live and are just disappointed.  I will keep listening to the album, it's good, but you can see other members of the Big Four like Anthrax and Megadeth who feel far more comfortable doing good metal stuff compared to Metallica, who seem like they are trying to return to the old stuff.

-Devin Townsend - Trascendence - Since getting to know Townsend and his large library of albums, he can kinda do anything and I'll always listen, he has a very unique style and great voice, but lately some of his stuff doesn't quite pull me in.  Less heavy stuff, more melodic, and I feel he utilizes too much chorus singing and he gets kinda buried, which isn't surprising when you know abit about him and how he deals with everything.  Still some enjoyable melodic stuff on here and more Townsend is always good.

Re: Favorite Albums Of 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 12:27:01 am »
Having a shitty ass memory in regards to what has actually come out this year I just went down a wiki list of releases to remember lol, so this is in order of release during the year a list of albums that I really liked and either listened to a lot or continue to listen to.

David Bowie - Blackstar

I won't pretend to be a big Bowie fan before he passed, but when the single initially dropped at the end of 2015 I was loving it, it really got me going through his discography and a lot of his hits through the years. I started to really appreciate his range of influences and how well he displayed so many ranges of music throughout the years. I got the album right away when it dropped and was pretty shocked by his passing so soon after. I loved the album and, though I don't really care what others thing about the perception of the album with his death, am glad I could have an appreciation for the album before he passed, and then after when some of the messages became a lot more apparent. 

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth

A friend of mine clued me into this guy and I fell in love. I grew up listening to a lot of classic country through my parents and have always had an appreciation for country, minus a lot of the college party stuff that's on the radio now. Simpson really carries an amazing classic country style to his singing and even instrumental work, but on such a grand scale. I've thrown this album on so many times and just let it play while I'm writing or working on a project and just let it be my ambient soundtrack.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

Another big name that I've never really explored. I've heard a number of their hits in the past but have never really gotten into their music. I really dug the single Burn the Witch and again got the album really quickly on release. I really enjoyed this as another amazing ambient experience, just a really nice relaxing album to throw on and relax to while driving home from work.

Kvelertak - Nattesferd

I only really got into this style of heavier metal in the past few years, by heavier I mean anything that's not classic metal and rock from the 70s and 80s. I jumped into this album not knowing a thing about the band or its style but really loved it. I've grown to enjoy a wiiiide range of metal, which is my main reason for loving the genre, but how energetic and lively they come off with their guitar work really stuck with me.

PUP - The Dream if Over

Was never a huge classic punk fan, the early punk artists from the UK Invasion, nor a fan of the pop punk music of the earlier 2000s, but I fell in love with this album. It was just a fun album to blast and drown out everything else.

____

The only honorable mention that comes to mind is the new Gojira album Magma. I enjoyed it for what it was but it just didn't blow me away like I felt that some of their earlier work has since I discovered them. Scratch that, my primary honorable mention would be,

Ghost - Popestar EP

I really really like the new single Square Hammer off of this EP. I enjoyed pretty much every track on here except for maybe Missionary Man. Not entirely a bad track but I'm not really a fan of the original either and I don't really feel like Ghost adds much too it.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 06:14:48 am »
I make a playlist every year that I then put all new stuff into so I remember what came out this year lol I also loved Ghost's EP, though only for like 2 or 3 songs.  I'm glad they are already planning the new album for next year.  I got to see them live at the same show I saw Megadeth and Anthrax (It was a damn good day), and they were awesome.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 10:17:08 am »
Sounds amazing. They were in Seattle back in October and me and my wife had planned on going but I had already planned to go to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo which was was less than a week after their show.  Driving 3 to 4 hours to that then a similar distance to Portland paying for hotels and all that kinda fell through. Really hoping that their next run through we can make it out to them.

I should probably do something similar to the playlist idea, I buy a lot of my music on vinyl and cd and have since let my spotify sub lapse just because I can't comfortably stream music with my mobile network or on my shitty home net while doing anything really. Maybe I'll just make a youtube playlist of select songs so I at least remember the albums I liked haha.

____

Another Honorable Mention I remember looking through my records, Perturbator - The Uncanny Valley. I really enjoyed this album as my first foray into this style of dark beat and idk retro style music? I just found after delving into a lot of similar acts that it all comes off as pretty samey to me which lost a bit of the charm for this album, I'd still say I enjoy it to this day, just not quite as much as the albums I put up as my favorites.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:36:14 am by hawk767 »

stealthrush

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 05:23:57 am »
Debut EP by 17ded
Memento Mori by Gemini Syndrome
The Serenity Of Suffering by Korn
Gore by Deftones
White Album by Weezer
Dirt by Oblivion Dust
The Concrete Confessional by Hatebreed
Strange Little Birds by Garbage

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 10:54:11 pm »
I really didn't listen to much new this year, but probably

Gore - Deftones
Afraid of Heights - Billy Talent
Dissociation - DEP

davifus

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 12:46:39 am »

Awaken My Love - Childish Gambino
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)