Author Topic: A Year in Review - 2016  (Read 3018 times)

kashell

A Year in Review - 2016
« on: December 01, 2016, 08:12:37 am »
2016 has flown by. I can't believe that we're a few weeks away from the new year. That said, I thought it would be fun for everyone to reflect on their gaming journeys during 2016. I made a similar topic last year and I really enjoyed reading everyone's responses. So, let's do it again for this year! Here are the categories:

Favorite 2016 Release: What's your favorite game that you played this year that was released in 2016?

Least Favorite 2016 Release: On the opposite end, what's your least favorite game released in 2016. Keep it civil, y'all. XD

Favorite Game Played in 2016: All of us enjoy games from yesteryear. What game this year earns your spot for best game ever? It could be released in 2016 if you like, but my guess is most will pick something released from a different year.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2016: And again, on the opposite end, what's your least favorite game that you played this year? I know I played a few stinkers, so this one will be hard for me to pick.

Sleeper Hit of 2016: What's your personal sleeper hit for 2016? Pick a game that didn't get much promotion and/or little marketing, yet still turned out to be a good time. Try to make it from 2016, but any year works.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2016: What moment in a game you played this sticks in your head the strongest? Was it something awesome? Something tragic? Something completely over the top? Keep spoilers to a minimum or mark them if you can.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2016: Did you find a helluva deal? Share the story and the game that came with it! These are usually really fun to read.

I'll give my answers in my next post.

kashell

Re: A Year in Review - 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 08:35:52 am »
Favorite 2016 Release: This was a tough call, but I'm going to have to go with Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book. This series continues to impress me with each new entry. They always improve something from a previous game that I didn't think needed any improvement in the first place. I'm really excited about Atelier Firis arriving at some point next year. Some runner ups are Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness and Project X Zone 2.

Least Favorite 2016 Release: Zero Time Dilemma. I was looking forward to this game for years, and it ended up being a mess. I like that it tied in to 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, but everything else about it was disappointing.

Favorite Game Played in 2016: Without a doubt, Panzer Dragoon Saga is my choice. Games like this remind me why I'm an RPG fan in the first place. Everything that this game did was ahead of its time. To be wowed by a game from the late 90s in our current era is quite a feat, and PDS accomplished it. I'm already looking forward to starting a new journey soon. A few honorable mentions need to go to Shovel Knight, Valkyria Chronicles III and Lightning Returns.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2016: This was a difficult choice, but Seven Samurai 20XX is my least favorite game that I played this year because it looked like it was going to be a lot of fun. Well...not so much. Some dishonorable mentions include Quest 64, Heavenly Sword and Lufia: The Ruins of Lore.

Sleeper Hit of 2016: I barely heard a peep about 7th Dragon III: Code VFD. But, I picked it up because I'm a sucker for art books and wanted a new RPG to play. Well, this ended up being a fantastic choice. Alongside the awesome music, there is a solid game that has more depth than expected. Aragami is a runner-up.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2016: The ending in Kirby: Planet Robobot. Not that I needed a reminder as to why I adore all things Kirby, but that ending really gave me a case of the heart-melties.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2016: While at Retropalooza, I found Kirby's Star Stacker before the doors opened to the general public. I was thrilled because it was the last Kirby game I needed. I knew that the rest of the day was going to be awesome, which it was.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:15:54 am by kashell »

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 09:15:55 am »
Favorite 2016 Release: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.  This is honestly based on a cross reference between the games I played this year and the games released this year.

Least Favorite 2016 Release: Mighty No. 9.  The game is meh, but I'm picking this because I paid almost $300 in the grand scheme of things for the steaming pile.

Favorite Game Played in 2016: I'm gonna split this one, for reasons.  Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, because at this point, I believe this is my game of the year.  Aragami, because with a little extra work, content, and maybe a bit more story wise, this game honestly might have been able to beat out Uncharted 4 for me.  Chibi-Robo!, because I know I really really enjoyed this game, but it was one of the first games I played this year, so my memory is fuzzy.  Fallout 4, because so much good DLC this year, the addition of mods on consoles, and it is just plainly a fantastic game.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2016: Assassin's Creed: Unity.  This game is just plain the worst.  It feels like a bad indie game in terms of quality and then the story is so shitty and disconnected it even feels like it was written by bad indie devs as well.

Sleeper Hit of 2016: Aragami.  I heard about this one when someone mentioned signature games, which seems mostly limited to European releases, but through that I found that there is a physical version here in NA.  I didn't expect a lot from a game that didn't cost much and had no advertisement at all.  But I really enjoyed the game.  Alternatively, Homefront: The Revolution, because I genuinely enjoyed the game.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2016: The ending of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.  No spoilers here, just plain my favorite gaming moment of 2016.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2016: Probably getting .hack//G.U. Vol. 3 Redemption for $1.  But I'm really happy about getting Rayman (Jag) CIB for $40, Mr. Nutz (SNES) for $25, Stunt Racer 64 for $7, and Hurricanes (SNES) for $15.  Punisher (NES) CIB for the loose price.  Using a work bonus to buy Punisher (GEN) CIB.

Now I'm gonna throw in some extra ones.
Favorite Game Revisited in 2016: (Whether it is a game you previously gave up on and gave a second chance, or a game you already love, but decided to play again) Again, gonna split this one.  Assassin's Creed, because getting through this relatively painful entry got me to play through the franchise. Timesplitters: Future Perfect, because the story mode is so damned good and I still love this game.

Proudest Gaming Accomplishment of 2016: Beating Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.  Also, playing through nearly the entire Assassin's Creed and Uncharted franchises. (Only missing Chronicles India/Russia and Uncharted: Golden Abyss)

Top 10 Games Played in 2016
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Aragami
  • Haunting Ground
  • Chibi-Robo!
  • Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation
  • Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
  • Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
  • Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
  • Party Hard
  • Homefront: The Revolution
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:15:22 am by ignition365 »

kashell

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 09:43:19 am »
I am loving that you also played Aragami! It was such a great game.

I'm going to fill in my choices for the new categories you added:

Favorite Game Revisited in 2016: I immediately go to Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. I will never grow tired of this game. It's such a unique RPG that everyone should try at least once. Some runner ups are Mega Man X4, Kirby Triple Deluxe and Resonance of Fate.

Proudest Gaming Accomplishment of 2016: This is a tough call. I earned a bunch of platinum trophies this year, so maybe one of those. Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness took nearly 100 hours, but it wasn't overly difficult. Gravity Rush was a pain but eventually became manageable. I'll say earning the platinum in Final Fantasy XIII. I had a blast doing it, even though the Treasure Hunter trophy made me want to punch a wall.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 10:17:52 am »
I'm STILL playing it.  I'm going through for the Oni medals and scrolls right now.  It's not often that a game makes me want to play through it a second time, that's how good this game is.

kashell

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 10:27:38 am »
I'm STILL playing it.  I'm going through for the Oni medals and scrolls right now.  It's not often that a game makes me want to play through it a second time, that's how good this game is.

Right?!

I thought getting all of the Kami medals was much more challenging because I went for both those and the Yurei medals in my first playthrough. I was so glad when I was able to start killing enemies, so going for the Oni medals was worth the wait.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 10:30:53 am »

Favorite 2016 Release: DOOM

Least Favorite 2016 Release: Life is Strange (the console version came out this year so I'll count it)

Favorite Game Played in 2016: DOOM

Least Favorite Game Played in 2016: Dementium: The Ward (DS)

Sleeper Hit of 2016: King of Fighters XIV (better than Street Fighter V, that's for sure!)

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2016: The last part of Kirby's Return to Dreamland (without spoiling anything, the game becomes a completely different genre for one stage and it is awesome!)

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2016: I can't think of a single find that was a huge accomplishment, but I did reach over 200 PS3 titles which was a big deal, as well as over 250 PS1 titles.

Top 10 Games Played in 2016:

1. DOOM (PS4)
2. Mortal Kombat (PS3)
3. King of Fighters XIV (PS4)
4. Ghost Blade (Dreamcast)
5. The Last of Us (PS3)
6. Jurassic Park the Arcade (Raw Thrills Arcade)
7. Unreal Tournament (PC)
8. Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)
9. Lightning Force (Genesis)
10. Halo 2 (XBOX)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:39:42 am by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 10:32:27 am »

Right?!

I thought getting all of the Kami medals was much more challenging because I went for both those and the Yurei medals in my first playthrough. I was so glad when I was able to start killing enemies, so going for the Oni medals was worth the wait.
Same here.  I'm really enjoying playing through Oni style this time.

realpoketendonl

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 01:59:55 pm »
Favorite 2016 Release: Easily Pokémon Sun. Probably one of, if not the best Pokémon game ever released.

Least Favorite 2016 Release: Ehm, Mighty No. 9 I guess? I know it's a cheap answer, but I haven't played that many bad releases this year. This is the only noticeable one I tried, and it was bad. It was very bad. So Mighty No. 9.

Favorite Game Played in 2016: Hmm, that's a tough one. I really like Pokémon Sun and Moon so far. However, this was the year I got a Wii U, and I got that in part just to play Bayonetta 2. And that game is phenomenal. I really love both games, but I think Bayonetta 2 has the edge.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2016: Oh dear, that's a tough one. I want to say my cheap bootleg Wii clone, but I don't think that really counts. Well, I did pick up Sonic Unleashed on Wii this year, and that wasn't good, so I'll go with that one.

Sleeper Hit of 2016: I mainly bought and played games that have been out for over a year this year, so I can't give you a 2016 game. I don't remember much promotion for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed when it came out, but I got it with the Sonic Humble Bundle for Steam, and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised. It's actually a great racing game! I never expected to enjoy it as much as I did, so this one goes to Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2016: The ending to Bayonetta 2. I won't spoil it here, but let's just say I loved how they resolved everything with the Masked Lumen. I felt genuine emotion there.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2016: FINALLY getting that friggin' Wii U! I've been wanting to get it for so long, and this year I finally did it! Finally I'm able to play Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Bayonetta 2, possibly my two favourite games of all time. I want to give an honorable mention to finally getting a decent laptop and thus finally being able to get into PC gaming, but I've been wanting a Wii U for so long it has the edge in this category. So this award definitely goes to the Wii U.

So the winners are:

Favorite 2016 Release: Pokémon Sun

Least Favorite 2016 Release: Mighty No. 9

Favorite Game Played in 2016: Bayonetta 2

Least Favorite Game Played in 2016: Sonic Unleashed

Sleeper Hit of 2016: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2016: Bayonetta 2 (ending)

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2016: Wii U (console)

Overall Top 10 games played in 2016:
NOTE: Games that I've been playing in 2016, that I've been playing since 2015 are not included here (*cough cough* Smash 3DS *cough cough*). Games where I've made extra achievements (like replaying on higher difficulties) aren't affected by this rule.
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Pokémon Sun
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Bayonetta (new playthroughs on higher difficulties)
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Angry Video Game Nerd II: ASSimilation
  • Roundabout
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • Postal 2
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 02:13:12 pm by realpoketendonl »
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 02:23:52 pm »
Favorite 2016 Release: Pokemon Moon. While Uncharted 4 is a very, very, very close 2nd, the newest Pokemon games get so much right, that as a long time Pokemon fan it has me grinning throughout.

Least Favorite 2016 Release: Star Fox Zero I kind of feel burned by this game. I just don't like it. The odd controls aside, the game does nothing to add to the Star Fox franchise besides that it looks pretty. It might as well be called Star Fox 64 HD because it feels the same as the N64 game. But I think Star Fox 64 is a better game.

Favorite Game Played in 2016: The Last of Us. This game left me speechless in the best way possible! I'm a few years late to this one but what a game! Story, characters, gameplay, pacing; all perfect. I've never had a game cause me yell out in shock at the television so many times. I'm glad that I played Uncharted 1,2,3,4 and then the Last of Us because it gave me a chance to see the gameplay evolve. Certainly one of the top 5 games I've ever played and maybe one of the finest games ever created.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2016: Battletoads. Why is this game popular? I don't get it. I don't mind the difficulty, but it just didn't see the game as fun.

Sleeper Hit of 2016: Pokken Tournament. I'm not a huge fighting game fan, but I really enjoyed Pokken Tournament. It's a very basic fighting game and that's probably why I enjoy it. I like the constant switch between a 2D field to a 3D open field.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2016: Beating old Pokemon Yellow with only a team of 4, and catching Mewtwo without using the Master Ball. It was a good year for Pokemon and me.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2016: This one is a fun one.
Looking around one of the thrift stores I frequently go to, I overhear two of the workers talking about a Smash Bros box that they had to get rid of because the cartridge was missing. Now I'm thinking that there is a poor N64 Smash Bros box sitting in the trash somewhere now. So I ask them if they know where that box ended up and if I could by it without the cartridge. They tell me that I would have to go talk to a manager, but if the box is still around it's in something they called the "take-down box" ???
I find a manager and tell him the story of me overhearing the workers and ask him if I can take a look in the "take-down box" for an empty video game box. The manager happily tells me yes and takes into the back of the store where he brings me me to a gigantic cardboard box full of stuff. This is where they throw all the CD and DVD cases that don't have a disc inside as well as anything broken that they otherwise couldn't sell.
Buried under some cases on the top I see what looks like Mario's glove. I reach down and pull out a surprisingly good looking Smash Bros box with a 75 cents sticker on it. I look inside and eureka! The manual and inserts are inside! Now I'm beaming with excitement over this cardboard. The manager tells me I can have it after I offered to buy it since they can't sell just a box with no product. It probably was either donated without the game or someone slipped the cartridge out of the box . (If that's the case, who in their right mind doesn't just buy a CIB Smash Bros box for 75 cents) The manager then tells me the story of how is wife's grandmother gave them a CIB NES and R.O.B the robot set and that he was now glad that he kept the box.
When I went back a few days later, that one of the same workers who I overheard said that he had heard that I got the box and was glad that it got saved. Now my otherwise loose Smash cartridge sits complete. Twas a good day.

Overall Top 10 games played in 2016:

1. The Last of Us (PS4)
2. Pokémon Moon (3DS)
3. Uncharted 4 (PS4)
4. Until Dawn (PS4)
5. Uncharted 2 (PS4)
6. Pokemon Yellow (3DS)
7. Mega Man 2 (3DS)
8. Thomas Was Alone (Vita)
9. Uncharted 1 (PS4)
10. Sonic the Hedgehog 1 (3DS)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 02:34:22 pm by Limeface »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 02:24:14 pm »
This would make a great podcast show.
Someone should start a podcast on here.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 02:36:56 pm »
There's still a couple games coming out this month and I'm still in the middle of Final Fantasy XV, which I'm enjoying, but I can probably do most of this.  Might have to go back and redo it abit depending on how much I love FFXV.

Favorite 2016 Release: Final Fantasy XV
While Overwatch was a game I really love for its characters, tone, and quality multiplayer gameplay, Final Fantasy XV has an overall more fun and exciting full package to me as I've been hooked to it every day since launch.  It has it's problems with the story and some minor gameplay issues, but this game hooked me in more than most any other game this year.  It's got charming characters, a fun setting, and it's got real hard endgame bosses and fights to keep you playing for awhile.

Least Favorite 2016 Release: No Man's Sky
I didn't go into this game with the unrealistic hype some did, I only half payed attention to it over it's release and never understood why people were going nuts over it.  I ended up buying it on launch rather spur of the moment, just cause I figured it would be alright as a casual survival game, I've dumped a lot of time into stuff like this before.  What I got was just an incredibly shallow and half-assed game.  Then I see everything the game was hinted, misled, and promised to be, and now it's clear that the game was rushed to launch.  It's a no contest win for this.

Favorite Game Played in 2016: Bloodborne
This was basically the one game I wanted to play on the PS4 and it was well worth it. I never loved the previous Souls games, I played most of them, but never beat them.  The change in setting and a switch to faster combat though made that game something else and truly to me is easily the best of these games.

Least Favorite Game Played in 2016: Senran Kagura Versus Shinovi/Akiba's Beat
Sometimes I just want a silly game, the fan service can sometimes be entertaining, but you quickly come to realize that these Japanese games all share most of the same faults.  Weak gameplay, boring fan service, and just an unsatisfying time.  I grab Senran Kagura because I wanted a goofy game and I got one, but it was way worse than I expected.  Akiba's Beat I got because I thought it had more of an engaging modern Japanese setting, what with the location, but it has terrible gameplay, and it's ridiculous tedious.  I feel like they think that as long as you can dress the girls up, one will overlook everything else...but I didn't lol

Sleeper Hit of 2016: Attack on Titan
I don't know if this one is actually a sleeper hit, I don't remember seeing a ton for it and I only watched some gameplay, but it seemed like they did the gameplay right and that is what sells the game for me.  It shares some of the usual Japanese basics games like this have, particularly the Musou-style games, but that gameplay is great.  Really feels like the perfect Attack on Titan game and they even worked in a few elements from the second season of the show at the end which was a nice treat.  I went and read most of the manga that comes after in the story because of the game.

Favorite Gaming Moment in 2016: Titanfall 2 Titan Smash
There's probably so many moments, but I'm spacing on what I would say is the best, but more recently I got Titanfall 2 and had some fun with that, but I had a moment killing some pilots, that then allowed me to drop my Titan, so just as a Titan showed up, I got into cover, called my Titan down and it crushed the other Titan.  When you are still struggling to learn the gameplay and you perform this and a few other things, it's ridiculously satisfying and that was kind of the moment "I GET THIS GAME."  Other moments could probably include some of the Bloodborne boss fights.

Proudest Collection Accomplishment of 2016: Not sure about this yet.

Top 10 Games Played In 2016
1 - Bloodborne (PS4)
2 - Dark Souls 3 (PS4)
3 - Overwatch (PC)
4 - Attack on Titan (PS4)
5 - Godzilla (PS4)
6 - Battlefield 1 (PC)
7 - Titanfall 2 (PC)
8 - Tokyo Mirage Sessions (Wii U)
9 - Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
10 - Uncharted 4 (PS4)

No particular order for those.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:16:01 pm by kamikazekeeg »

kashell

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 03:20:28 pm »
These are great to read. It's interesting seeing the mentioning of the new Pokémon.

I'm going to answer biking's new category.

Top 10 Games Played in 2016:

1. Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book (PS4)
2. Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness (PS4)
3. Valkyria Chronicles III (PSP)
4. Lightning Returns (PS3)
5. 7th Dragon III: Cod VFD (3DS)
6. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Sega Saturn)
7. Shovel Knight (Vita)
8. Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
9. Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS)
10. Project X Zone 2 (3DS)

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 03:26:12 pm »
I added my top 10 to my list up at the top.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 04:02:03 pm »
Gonna have to fill this out when I get home (or make a webcam video)