Author Topic: Why do forks and spoons still exist when the spork exists?  (Read 2462 times)

Why do forks and spoons still exist when the spork exists?
« on: November 24, 2016, 05:25:32 pm »
The spork is the most underrated invention in the history of humans. It perfected a broken formula. With a fork you cant scoop things as easy and things like soup or mac and cheese feel like a chore and with a spoon you cant pick things up like a chunk of chicken or something.  but with the spork you can literally do both at once.  The spork is on par with the wheel.  A revolutionary masterful utensil of class and efficiency. An invention of brilliance.  I will not eat with anything else as long as a I live. It dominates out of sheer practicality.  How did fork and spoon not get phased out once someone combined the two perfectly?  :)

So this thanksgiving, I am thankful for my family and friends, my loving parents and my brothers, video games....  but last but not least... I am thankful for the spork.  :D 

azure

Re: Why do forks and spoons still exist when the spork exists?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 05:37:27 pm »
Because it's the natural order.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 09:49:37 pm »
You can thank the fork and spoon industrial complex
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

retrogemcollector

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 10:17:21 am »
Because try to do that with a retarded short tines of a spork see if you can do it.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:24:24 am by retrogemcollector »

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 12:00:35 pm »
Have you ever tried to eat a steak with a spork?

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 12:39:51 pm »
I don't think i've ever seen a metal spork

doafan

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 01:29:11 pm »
I don't think i've ever seen a metal spork

But they do exist: https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Sporks-Everyday-Household/dp/B00UQKYMIU am glad that have never used one of these in my entire life, I prefer to eat my beans with a Scoop than with a spork  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 01:30:16 pm »
Because we Dutch are sophisticated  ;D

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 07:21:00 pm »
Sporks are not great.

In fact, they don't combine both spoon/fork functions well, because the prongs are too short for cutting into stuff and lacks enough leverage force, and can't hold much liquid without it constantly spilling. A seperate fork/spoon combo will always be better than a spork because you can't have one set of prongs to do two tasks.

davifus

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 09:26:58 pm »
I can't believe this is happening.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

darkragnorok

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 12:29:03 am »
Because the natural order of the earth would be unbalance. In all seriousness though, those plastic sporks can only get you so far and lets say that journey is not a pleasant one.

necrosexual

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 04:04:50 am »
clearly, you have not mastered the fork to scoop things that are not naturally watery. else, you'd not be asking such a question ;I
i hate sporks tbh. it's not forky enough, too spoony. i am the type who will only use spoons for cereal or broth-soups... and considering i don't often eat either...

forks are by far superior. the tongs aren't far enough apart to let most things fall between them (stop eating non-sticky rice, lmao) and the flatness of the tines allows for your utensil to get underneath what you're trying to scoop. spoons, however, are far more rounded, meaning you have to turn them to achieve the same effect. the proper way to eat with a spoon even goes against the curve of the roof of your mouth, and the pressure between mouth roof and contents on a spoon, adding to the lack of pressure release given to tines but not a flat spoon bottom, means you'll end up turning the spoon over in your mouth to get all the contents off. forks don't require this, however, thus forks don't add to the whole utensils-scraping-teeth sound so many people find displeasing. further, because tines have gaps, the tongue helps pull food off from below through them... reducing the need to scrape fork to teeth even more. however, turning a spoon upside down in one's mouth causes the top teeth, which usually hang over bottom teeth quite some distance, to come very close to scraping what should be the bottom of the utensil on the way out.

so
there
that's why sporks don't reign superior, because, clearly, forks are superior and spoons (and sporks) need only exist for things that don't cause the contents on the spoon (or spork) to become pressure-sealed without the assistance of teeth or tongue. in other words: spoons are only good for watery things, forks are just fine for everything else and sporks don't fix the issue enough when most things a spoon would require get no use out of a spork's tines made for baby-sized foods.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 04:08:02 am by necrosexual »

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

mrnikon

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 08:59:15 pm »
Because there are a lot of uses for dinglehoppers!