Author Topic: Need to Keep Signing In  (Read 1860 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Need to Keep Signing In
« on: December 06, 2016, 01:00:02 pm »
Man, this site move-over to https just doesn't play well with Google Chrome.

Now when I go to the forum, through the main page, the page crashes and signs me out. I then I have to sign in a 2nd time. It's happened a few times last week, but this week it seems to be even worse.

And again, this is on two different computers, my work one, and my home one. So it's not just my computer.

Re: Need to Keep Signing In
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 01:04:23 pm »
I'm also on Chrome, and I am not having any of these issues.

Are you keeping Chrome up to date?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 01:32:32 pm »
In my other thread, people are having similar issues with Firefox. So it's not just me, here.

But that seems to be the answer in my other thread, too. "I'm not having the issue, so it doesn't exist." *sigh*

It's only on this site, and it's on two completely different computers. Not just an issue on my end.

Not only these issues, but I can't add things to the database, anymore, either. It will give me a blank item when I try.

And yes, Google Chrome auto-updates, so it's up to date.

I really don't think it's a coincidence that all these issues happened right after the "https" switch-over.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:34:42 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 01:37:53 pm »
In my other thread, people are having similar issues with Firefox. So it's not just me, here.

But that seems to be the answer in my other thread, too. "I'm not having the issue, so it doesn't exist." *sigh*

It's only on this site, and it's on two completely different computers. Not just an issue on my end.

Not only these issues, but I can't add things to the database, anymore, either. It will give me a blank item when I try.

And yes, Google Chrome auto-updates, so it's up to date.

I really don't think it's a coincidence that all these issues happened right after the "https" switch-over.
I'm halfway through your response here, but I never said "it doesn't exist", I actually asked a question given that it might solve your issue.

Have you tried flushing your DNS?  It's possible that your computers are wanting to connect to http at certain times based on cached info and that's why you are getting errors.  Possibly give that a try.

I've added at least 10 new items today through Chrome and have received no issues.  My point is only that if you and I are both using the same version of the website (super probable) and the same version of chrome (sounds like), why am I getting different results than you?  Likely because we have different computer settings.  I'm trying to help you.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:41:36 pm by ignition365 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 02:34:47 pm »
^ I said it because that's how the other thread went. A couple people chimed in and said it wasn't happening to them, and thread was forgotten.

Yes, I cleared my caches, usually the first thing I do when these things happen.

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 02:47:08 pm »
I think when most people say it isn't happening to them, they don't mean to upset you or give you unhelpful feedback but rather to just say that it's probably not just a purely Chrome thing (something to cross off the list of possibilities).

Reminds me of an issue I had for a few months where everything would just slow down on my computer and then ultimately freeze up until I had to do a hard restart. Took forever for me to figure out what was triggering it until I realized that an old Chrome extension I had potentially had malware. I uninstalled it, and the issue cleared up.

The only suggestion I could suggest is to try it out in incognito mode?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 03:00:53 pm »
I'm in incognito mode at work (since I'm at work). That could be why the forum crashing thing is only happening at work.

I also have this issue, now. When I go to sign-in, after being logged-out, it won't accept my password on this page, but if I go all the way back to the home page, it does accept the password:

And again, only on this site are these things happening. Two completely different computers.

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 03:02:10 pm »
Hm, that is indeed very odd. I wonder if @jason would be able to assist... If he doesn't respond to this thread, I'd PM him to see if he can help you figure it out.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 03:43:08 pm »
I've noticed some issues with cookies persisting on the site, so I would definitely believe that incognito mode could be causing some of your issues.

davifus

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 04:16:13 pm »
I'm in incognito mode at work (since I'm at work). That could be why the forum crashing thing is only happening at work.

I also have this issue, now. When I go to sign-in, after being logged-out, it won't accept my password on this page, but if I go all the way back to the home page, it does accept the password:

And again, only on this site are these things happening. Two completely different computers.

I actually have same problem occasionally at work. The whole Type in correct password but still get the incorrect password notice. The way I go over it is by letting chrome save my user and pass for it, but in your case of incognito I'm not too sure.

and the thread not disappearing after clicking on it.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 06:38:29 pm »
The site itself does not allow concurrent logins from multiple computers. Something I deal with every day, I have to log into the site every time because I use multiple computers to work on the db. The forum is always logged in however.

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 11:56:15 pm »
The site itself does not allow concurrent logins from multiple computers. Something I deal with every day, I have to log into the site every time because I use multiple computers to work on the db. The forum is always logged in however.

Oh, right, I forgot about this. This happens to me as well. I just never notice because I go directly to the forum oftentimes, which stays logged in always.

Concurrent logins wasn't allowed after the last big overhaul of the site, I think.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

realpoketendonl

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 03:45:41 am »

Ah, so that's also why I keep getting logged out on my phone! Maybe irrelevant to this thread, but does this also affect the app? I can't login to the app at all, so maybe this is why.

EDIT: Never mind. App still doesn't work -_-
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 03:47:59 am by realpoketendonl »
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 11:37:16 am »
People have said they couldn't log into the app, but no it works for me. I mean, I have not had to log into the app in a long time, and when I open it, I am already logged in. I do not think it is related to login for the site or the forum.

EDIT: regarding logging into the site itself. On computer1, I check the box to remember my login. On computer2 I don't check the box. This results in Computer1 always being logged in, and Computer2 prompting to login. If I check the box to remember on Computer2, then I will be logged out when I visit the site on Computer1.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:40:51 am by tripredacus »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 01:02:03 pm »
Today things seem to be better. I'm not sure what changed. But the forum isn't crashing. And it only signed me out once so far.