Author Topic: eBay scammer help stop this kinda thing  (Read 1698 times)

theflea

Re: eBay scammer help stop this kinda thing
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 02:28:21 am »
I love to hear reports of bootlegers who try and scam buyers then get caught.

Personally i dont care if someone wants to sell a bootleg copy on ebay just own up to it and sell it at $30-$40 max. And say in description and title "reproduction". Also the producer of these carts really need to mark labels as "reproduction". The only games that do not need this are games that never exsisted as a US game. Like many fan translations or prototypes. I think those are obvious. Lol
The ones i really hate are the ones who take a real cart. Replace the label and put in a fake board.

There was one time i saw a lot of nes games on ebay. One was flintstones 2. I contacted the guy and asked about the game, he acted like someone who knew nothing about video games and claimed he bought the game at a thrift store years ago. He also said he didnt have the tool to open it. I told him i will open it when I get it and if its not real I would want a refund. He assured me it was real. So i won the auction and got the whole lot for about half what flintstones 2 sells for alone, I get the games and the cart looked real from the outside. Label even looked a little worn to be fake. Then I open it and see the board is huge and obviously fake.
I contact him and he was upset that I dare ask for a refund. I send him pictures of his board and what it should look like and he calls me the lier and I had to get ebay involved to get my money back. He was pissed he had to refund me.
He even told me the game was still worth over $500 even as a fake. I told him there's sites out there that I can buy a fake flintstones 2 for about $40 and he acts like i'm lowballing his fake cart. Lol

If you see someone scamming and want to warn us by all means call the scumbag seller out so we dont get taken.

"Happy game hunting!!!"

nellen

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 03:55:14 am »
I love to hear reports of bootlegers who try and scam buyers then get caught.

Personally i dont care if someone wants to sell a bootleg copy on ebay just own up to it and sell it at $30-$40 max. And say in description and title "reproduction". Also the producer of these carts really need to mark labels as "reproduction". The only games that do not need this are games that never exsisted as a US game. Like many fan translations or prototypes. I think those are obvious. Lol
The ones i really hate are the ones who take a real cart. Replace the label and put in a fake board.

There was one time i saw a lot of nes games on ebay. One was flintstones 2. I contacted the guy and asked about the game, he acted like someone who knew nothing about video games and claimed he bought the game at a thrift store years ago. He also said he didnt have the tool to open it. I told him i will open it when I get it and if its not real I would want a refund. He assured me it was real. So i won the auction and got the whole lot for about half what flintstones 2 sells for alone, I get the games and the cart looked real from the outside. Label even looked a little worn to be fake. Then I open it and see the board is huge and obviously fake.
I contact him and he was upset that I dare ask for a refund. I send him pictures of his board and what it should look like and he calls me the lier and I had to get ebay involved to get my money back. He was pissed he had to refund me.
He even told me the game was still worth over $500 even as a fake. I told him there's sites out there that I can buy a fake flintstones 2 for about $40 and he acts like i'm lowballing his fake cart. Lol

If you see someone scamming and want to warn us by all means call the scumbag seller out so we dont get taken.

i agree for the most part i just wish repro carts said reproduction on the label or some where so its harder for people to pass it off as real in the future if or when it goes to the wild. but keeping eBay sellers honest it a big step.

retrogemcollector

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 04:19:46 am »
So I am confused can we or can we not sell bootleg, repro on eBay?

nellen

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 04:58:02 am »
It's ok if you are super clear about what you are selling. It would just be nice if the cart said repro on it

kashell

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 09:20:29 am »
he emailed me back saying this

"Just wanted to let you know that you were correct.... I took this product and was told that it's a reproduction.... If your going to approach a person.... Approach properly and you'll get better results... My add was informing ppl to figure it out and bid if they want.... Not a scammer, just didn't do my homework and didn't feel like doing my homework.... The auction is down and reworded.... Thanks and goodbye'

you can tell hes just trying to cover he's ass

so do you guys think i should post more stuff like this ?

He's got a lot of nerve. Approach them properly? The dude is a scammer. His pathetic CYA attempts are making him dig his hole deeper.

tripredacus

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 11:34:55 am »
So I am confused can we or can we not sell bootleg, repro on eBay?

Last night I was going to say that you couldn't sell regardless, but I checked the Ebay restricted and prohibited items page on their help site and couldn't find anything relating to bootleg video games. I recall in the past you couldn't sell bootleg music but I couldn't find that on there either.