Author Topic: Netherlands [NL] and Benelux [BE]  (Read 1181 times)

Netherlands [NL] and Benelux [BE]
« on: December 13, 2016, 09:29:29 am »
https://vgcollect.com/item/115944

I was quite surprised that there's a separate release of this one for the Benelux region. I'll have to add the European/UK release. But the picture of the cartridge in this entry definitely IS the European one, so that should probably be removed from this entry.

BTW: Is there a reason for having separate regional codes for Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg) and the Netherlands? It does seem a bit redundant to me.

tripredacus

Re: Netherlands [NL] and Benelux [BE]
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 11:42:52 am »

I was quite surprised that there's a separate release of this one for the Benelux region. I'll have to add the European/UK release. But the picture of the cartridge in this entry definitely IS the European one, so that should probably be removed from this entry.

BTW: Is there a reason for having separate regional codes for Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg) and the Netherlands? It does seem a bit redundant to me.

This game is too new for me to research the regional differences. You will need to post a comparison of the two different carts, and say which is which and which should be on the entry.

Benelux was added into the DB primarily for non-Nintendo releases which had general Benelux releases. Nintendo is way more spread out on the regional spectrum than other console publishers. FAH suffix item numbers with orange triangles, specify mostly the language and not the region specifically. FAH is French/Dutch and is usually the Netherlands release. There is also HOL (light blue triangle) which is Dutch only.

So we can be sure that HOL titles are [NL] and then what would FAH actually be? Should they be [BE] as is, and not [NL] at all, as you say one is inclusive of the other? Or should all FAH be marked [NL] unless a HOL release of the same title exists, then the FAH becomes [BE] and the HOL becomes [NL] ?

For sure, this topic should be discussed and agreed upon by collectors of these games and people who actually live in this region.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:44:23 am by tripredacus »

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 12:48:12 pm »
Well, I think I found the issue. The item numbers on the carts and on the case are different, which is something I quite honestly never realized before since I always register the number on the cart, not the one on the case. The carts in all of Europe probably all bear the same number (LNA-CTR-BD7P-EUR), my case has the number TSA-CTR-BD7P-GER (it's quite obviously the German release - I usually avoid getting these since I don't like the huge-ass USK sticker on the front but this one was a present). I can't verify this for sure, though.

But if that's the case, does it really make sense to make separate entries for ALL of the various European releases? There's probably no actual difference between them, since this particular game is available in English only.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 01:48:19 pm »

This game is too new for me to research the regional differences. You will need to post a comparison of the two different carts, and say which is which and which should be on the entry.

Benelux was added into the DB primarily for non-Nintendo releases which had general Benelux releases. Nintendo is way more spread out on the regional spectrum than other console publishers. FAH suffix item numbers with orange triangles, specify mostly the language and not the region specifically. FAH is French/Dutch and is usually the Netherlands release. There is also HOL (light blue triangle) which is Dutch only.

So we can be sure that HOL titles are [NL] and then what would FAH actually be? Should they be [BE] as is, and not [NL] at all, as you say one is inclusive of the other? Or should all FAH be marked [NL] unless a HOL release of the same title exists, then the FAH becomes [BE] and the HOL becomes [NL] ?

For sure, this topic should be discussed and agreed upon by collectors of these games and people who actually live in this region.

FAH is France and Holland. But the release is probably more for NL, BE and maybe Luxemburg. Belgium is a country with 2-3 languages. Mostly Dutch and French, but i think there is a corner where they speak German also.

There's probably no actual difference between them, since this particular game is available in English only.

Its not readable on the scan, but most games have besides English, 4 or 5 other languages. You can see that at the bottom of the case, on the back afcourse.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:52:35 pm by fazerco »

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 02:05:57 pm »
Its not readable on the scan, but most games have besides English, 4 or 5 other languages. You can see that at the bottom of the case, on the back afcourse.

Nope, my copy of this game is definitely English only - there's even a warning about that on the back cover ("gute Kenntnisse in englischer Sprache erforderlich" - "a good understanding of the English language is required"). And there are no other languages listed in the box for the software itself - only the manual is available in French as well.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:17:13 pm by imiak »

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 02:42:35 pm »
I don't have that game and can't find a good scan of the back. I can read German do  ;)

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 03:27:28 pm »
I don't have that game and can't find a good scan of the back. I can read German do  ;)
Well, then let's say the translation's a courtesy for all the non-German speakers out there. I'm quite sure there might be some. ;)

Anyway, the issue remains. Should I create another entry for my German release of the game? If so, which item number is the one which should be listed? The one on the cart or the one on the case?

I have no idea whether this holds true for all 3DS games released in Europe, but all of my 3DS games released in Germany have different item numbers on cart and case. The number on the cases end with "GER", almost all the carts with "EUR" (the only exception in my collection seems to be "Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers" which is also only available in English and ends in "UKV").

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 10:28:31 am »
Game entries are for the complete package, it doesn't matter if the cart is the same across multiple countries. So each actual release should have its own entry. This is because there are people who collect the different international versions, or package variations, so all of those should be in the db for that type of collector to put them in their collection to reflect what they actually own.