Author Topic: European Master System on Japanese TV  (Read 1478 times)

ferraroso

European Master System on Japanese TV
« on: December 15, 2016, 01:02:43 pm »
Hello guys.

I would be very glad if anyone could help me on this subject.

I live in Japan and, on a recent trip to Belgium, I got a European Model I Master System.
In Europe, it seemed to work nicely, however, when pluging it into my Japanese Toshiba 32S5 TV, the image gets black and white and all flickery and the sound seems kinda slow.

I guess it happens either because most European countries use PAL 230V 50Hz while Japan uses NTSC 110V 60Hz.
So, any guesses on how to solve the problem? Do I need to (1) mod the console, (2) get a 50Hz=>60Hz frequency changer or (3) get a PAL=>NTSC converter?

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 01:04:43 pm by ferraroso »

dreama1

Re: European Master System on Japanese TV
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 01:28:56 pm »
Hello guys.

I would be very glad if anyone could help me on this subject.

I live in Japan and, on a recent trip to Belgium, I got a European Model I Master System.
In Europe, it seemed to work nicely, however, when pluging it into my Japanese Toshiba 32S5 TV, the image gets black and white and all flickery and the sound seems kinda slow.

I guess it happens either because most European countries use PAL 230V 50Hz while Japan uses NTSC 110V 60Hz.
So, any guesses on how to solve the problem? Do I need to (1) mod the console, (2) get a 50Hz=>60Hz frequency changer or (3) get a PAL=>NTSC converter?

Thanks for the help!
Try a scart cable with it.

ferraroso

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 02:10:33 pm »

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Unfortunately, it is not that easy to get SCART cables in Japan, and I would need to get another adapter (such as a Framemeister) in order to connect it to the TV. And even so, I am not sure this would fix the problem...
Do you think getting a simpler PAL=>NTSC converter could solve the matter or do I need to find a converter to change the 60Hz Japanese electric current to 50Hz in order to properly play it?

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 02:50:50 pm »

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Unfortunately, it is not that easy to get SCART cables in Japan, and I would need to get another adapter (such as a Framemeister) in order to connect it to the TV. And even so, I am not sure this would fix the problem...
Do you think getting a simpler PAL=>NTSC converter could solve the matter or do I need to find a converter to change the 60Hz Japanese electric current to 50Hz in order to properly play it?
You're not using a tube tv? Not really sure. You should just buy the sega Mark III, and buy a cartridge converter. You can play all the japanese games, including the sg1000 games, and Pal games this way in 60hz. The Mark III from japan works here with a scart cable. The modern tube tvs should be 50hz 60hz compatible.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:53:12 pm by dreama1 »

ferraroso

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 08:42:47 pm »
You're not using a tube tv? Not really sure. You should just buy the sega Mark III, and buy a cartridge converter. You can play all the japanese games, including the sg1000 games, and Pal games this way in 60hz. The Mark III from japan works here with a scart cable. The modern tube tvs should be 50hz 60hz compatible.

Thank you once again.
Yeah, I am using an LED TV now. I already have a Japanese Mega Drive with the Mega Adaptor (Power Base Converter) to play Japanese Master System games. I bought the European Master System in order to have access to the Western library without having to use a cartridge converter and because the Mark IIIs/Japanese Master Systems are usually too expensive...
Once again, thanks for the help and, if you have some clue on what to do in order to make this MS work in Japan with a Japanese LED TV, please let me know.

ferraroso

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 10:07:40 am »
I was able to solve part of the problem by using a PAL/NTSC converter. Now the image does not flicker anymore and it has color, however it is running at around only 1 or 2 fps...
Any clues on how to solve this final part of the puzzle?

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 10:23:52 am »
Did you check the settings on your tv? Some tv's allow to change from pal to ntsc, resolution, etc.

But the more modern the tv is, the less you can change  :(

ferraroso

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 11:54:54 am »
Did you check the settings on your tv? Some tv's allow to change from pal to ntsc, resolution, etc.

But the more modern the tv is, the less you can change  :(

Thank you!
I checked it many times, but I couldn't find anything... My TV is a 2012 Toshiba Regza 32S5. If you find anything, please let me know...

ferraroso

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 10:27:52 am »
I was able to solve the problem with a very simple (and cheap) AV/HDMI converter. The image quality is still very far from perfect, but it will work until I get myself a nice upscaler.

Thanks to everyone who replied here!