Author Topic: The Super Retro Boy  (Read 1071 times)

abe

The Super Retro Boy
« on: January 06, 2017, 05:03:37 pm »
Retro-Bit, the makers of the Retro Duo, have revealed details on their previously announced GBA clone system known as the Super Retro Boy. It will see a North American release some time in August of this year and will retail for $79.99 (USD I would assume). The system will play games off of Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance cartridges.

There aren't too many Game Boy hardware clones out there, and some GBA clones (like the RevoK101 Plus) don't play GB/GBC games. Looks pretty cool to me, though I'm not sure how I feel about having the L and R buttons added in as face buttons above the A and B buttons.

What are your thoughts?

My source for this info: http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/06/retro-bits-super-retro-boy-plays-game-boy-games/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:06:03 pm by abe »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

Re: The Super Retro Boy
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 05:07:23 pm »
As someone who owns many many many copies of the various Game boy devices, I have no interest in this.

Especially with the L and R buttons being the way they are presented.  Many times games want you to press a bunch of those buttons in an order that would make this awkward.

ferraroso

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 08:54:10 pm »
It seems to be an interesting handheld, but I can't see many advantages in purchasing a Super Retro Boy... The GameBoy Advance SP also plays all GB, GBC and GBA games, has the L and R buttons on their proper places and I believe it can be found in very good shape for the same price or less. Don't you think?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:56:16 pm by ferraroso »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 04:39:49 am »
If they followed up with a game gear adapter...

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 10:19:06 am »
You can find the real deal for cheaper. I wouldn't get it .But then, that's what I thought about the NES Classic, and look how that took off. People seem to still have the mentality that if it's newer, it's better. So it will probably sell.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 07:01:37 am »
I prefer original Game Boy Advance SP AGS-101 or even AGS-001.

kashell

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 11:16:25 am »
I'll probably stick with my Game Boy Advance SP.