Author Topic: Two questions about your favorite consoles  (Read 5005 times)

Re: Two questions about your favorite consoles
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 05:12:10 pm »
My favorite console, at the moment, would certainly be my 3DS (right, some wouldn't consider it a console). But, wow, just so many good games right now: Bravely Default(s), Fire Emblem(s), now soon to be two of the best Dragon Quests, remasters of the LoZ games I grew up with. Just so much, I can't help but pick it up and play.

With regard to collecting, it's is a three way tie for me: GBA, NES, and GB. The NES, even though I was only about 6 when it was first gaining popularity,remained my favorite console throughout the 90's. Even when I had a SNES and N64 it still got more play time. For whatever reason, getting all of those games is really fun and nostalgic. The GB however, really was my system of choice as a kid. The hours spent playing Kirby and Tetris really bring back fond memories. As I have time to explore now, I'm really finding there are some great hidden (and not so hidden) gems for the GB that are great to play on my GB Player for GCN. with the GBA, I never had one growing up but holy cow there are some great games for this little guy too, and it is just fun to collect the ones that fall into my favorite categories (so many FF remakes...).

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 08:52:46 pm »
1) Favorite console would be Playstation 1 for all the great RPG. SNES is pretty close.

2) Outside the RPG, Im also a big fan on 90s 2d arcade games, and I love to collect anything SNK and NeoGeo. I own a NeoGeo AES, NeoGeo CD and NeoGeo Pocket Color. I can`t afford games anymore the NeoGeo AES except for few early 90s release that are still inexpensive, and I got all the titles I wanted (21 games) for my NeoGeo Pocket Color, so now Im more focus on the NeoGeo CD that I love even with the annoying loading times. I got 28 games (all japanese) so far and two unofficial prototype release.

I also try to get the full Fire Emblem collection (including Japanese release), got right now 9 titles... and my goal is to finish them all someday...completed 6 on 9 so far.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 09:38:24 pm »
My favorite console ever is the PS2, because it was the first console I bought on my own and the first one that I really started collecting for as a kid.  When my only income was from babysitting and yardwork, I really had to hustle to get the games I wanted to play and I was particularly proud of myself for the library I was able to amass before I became an adult. 

With that said, PS1 is my favorite system to collect for.  It was my first system and I believe it has the best library of games out of any system.  I feel also that the PS1 had the perfect balance of technological prowess (for its time) and creative ideas leading to some of the strangest videogames ever.  Some of the awkward 3D graphics don't really work anymore but I think they have a special kind of charm. 

I've started to collect SNES and I like that system as well, I hope to expand more into cartridge collecting (NES and Genesis and maybe others) once I finish school and can buy a bigger space to store all of my collection. 

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 10:02:17 am »
My favorite console ever is the PS2  :D    I grew up playing it and it was most of my childhood memories growing up. I love the variety, diversity, and quality of the titles along with it's backwards compatability.  It really dominated that generation imo and that generation was my favorite ever in gaming.  ;D

My favorite system to collect for if you include Amiibos is the 3ds/Wii U family. 3ds in particular.  I am hooked on the Amiibo craze and love collecting them.   :)

But for one console excluding interactive figures I would have to go with PS2 again.  Their is so much depth and variety in the library and a lot of hidden gems.

stlgamer75

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 01:01:16 pm »
1) My favorite console of all time has to be the NES. Like many others, it was my introductory home console and the reason I became a video game junkie/collector. The memories this console and it's games have given me will forever be embedded in my psyche.

2) The NES used to be favorite to collect for but lately it has been trumped by the Sega CD for some odd reason. The best games for this console are very good and the bad games are very bad but most of them are just odd and relics of a time when game developers were trying new things. Sure FMV was a fad, but Sega CD did it first!
Check out my retro gaming blog, Cartridge Corner
https://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

ferraroso

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2017, 11:05:45 am »
[...] but lately it has been trumped by the Sega CD for some odd reason. The best games for this console are very good and the bad games are very bad but most of them are just odd and relics of a time when game developers were trying new things. Sure FMV was a fad, but Sega CD did it first!

I have to agree with you! There is just so much fun in collecting for the Mega CD!
Here in Japan, they didn't have the shitload of FMV games that we had in the West, but there are some pretty good RPGs like Seirei Shinseiki Fhey Area, Cosmic Fantasy Stories and the Lunar series!
PS: I also think that the combo Japanese Mega Drive + Mega CD (both model 1) is the most beautiful video game console ever!

desocietas

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2017, 01:33:56 pm »
I love these questions!

Favorite console: I'd have to say the PS2; it was really the console I had when I first started to "seriously" play video games. I played an RPG here and there on the PS1 but didn't quite grasp the concept at that age. By the time I inherited my brother's PS2, I was discovering games like Katamari Damacy, Persona 3, Digital Devil Saga, Dragon Quest VIII, so many good games that I still love today.

Favorite console to collect for: There's something about the DS and GBA games that I really like collecting for. DS games are pretty cheap still, and I love the system in general. It has a great library. I have fond ties to GBA games - I spent many hours playing my brother's translucent purple GBA on the bus and in my bedroom (Fire Emblem, Harvest Moon, etc.) - and adore the little square cardboard boxes. Seeing them CIB and pristine makes me so happy. PS1 and PS2 games are always fun to collect for just because of how varied the library is. I always stumble across a title that I'd never heard of but end up needing to have in my collection.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

stlgamer75

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2017, 02:40:42 pm »
[...] but lately it has been trumped by the Sega CD for some odd reason. The best games for this console are very good and the bad games are very bad but most of them are just odd and relics of a time when game developers were trying new things. Sure FMV was a fad, but Sega CD did it first!

I have to agree with you! There is just so much fun in collecting for the Mega CD!
Here in Japan, they didn't have the shitload of FMV games that we had in the West, but there are some pretty good RPGs like Seirei Shinseiki Fhey Area, Cosmic Fantasy Stories and the Lunar series!
PS: I also think that the combo Japanese Mega Drive + Mega CD (both model 1) is the most beautiful video game console ever!

I also love how the model 1 Genesis and model 1 Sega CD fit together. I don't have the model 1 CD so I play using my model 2 Genesis/CD combo. The Lunar series, Snatcher, Popful Mail, Sonic CD, Vay, Terminator, plus some great shooters too!
Check out my retro gaming blog, Cartridge Corner
https://stlgamer75.wordpress.com