Author Topic: Observation of shrinkwrapping over time  (Read 1306 times)

Observation of shrinkwrapping over time
« on: January 12, 2017, 03:42:02 am »
I'm sure some of you are collecting classic old videogames that are still sealed. Have you noticed that the shrinkwrapping seem to... shrink over time? I have noticed this on some of the cardboard boxes that I keep that the shrinkwrapping tend to continue shrinking and deforming the actual packaging. This is problematic for me, since 1) I still want to keep the shrinkwrap 2) I don't want the box to be deformed

Anyone else noticed the same? Any ideas or solution to the problem? At the moment I'm thinking of removing the shrinkwrap since I would rather have the box in good shape

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Observation of shrinkwrapping over time
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:50:36 am »
I'm sure some of you are collecting classic old videogames that are still sealed. Have you noticed that the shrinkwrapping seem to... shrink over time? I have noticed this on some of the cardboard boxes that I keep that the shrinkwrapping tend to continue shrinking and deforming the actual packaging. This is problematic for me, since 1) I still want to keep the shrinkwrap 2) I don't want the box to be deformed

Anyone else noticed the same? Any ideas or solution to the problem? At the moment I'm thinking of removing the shrinkwrap since I would rather have the box in good shape

If you keep it out of the sun and away from heat, it shouldn't change.  I have a couple of sealed NES and SNES games.  Those are 25-30 years old and they still look like they just came out of the shipping box.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:14:26 am »
Plastic tends to be photodegradable

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 10:57:18 am »

I have noticed this with especially USA cardboard sealed games, the shrink wrap is of lower quality than for example PAL sealed games and seems to be something that everyone can wrap there stuff in however the Pal games wich have a Nintendo strip never have this issue for the shrink wrap to be so tight but are always a perfect fit with no bad corners etc. Maybe a different way how games are shrink wrapped in the factory since the quality is totally different for the shrink wrap.

Third party nintendo games have the same shrink wrap as many of the US games coming with the same problems.

There are no solutions, unless you find a perfect sealed copy wich has the seal just in the right spot not crushing the corners etc.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:59:17 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 05:01:50 pm »
Agree with Turf.

The cheaper the plastic used for the wrap the more susceptible to slight changes in temperature or sun exposure.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 12:27:34 pm »
I only notice this on the crappy type of shrink wrapping where it's done on a straight line across the top. That type I do believe squeezes the package slightly. Never seen this problem with y fold seals, although some of them I notice, are more airtight than others. Like for example, I've notice that Nintendo published games tend to have more snug shrink wrapping than others, and the games tend to stay in better condition that way. I've never noticed that it actually causes any damage.

I don't collect sealed games, but some of my games are still sealed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 12:29:15 pm by Warmsignal »