Author Topic: The Nintendo Switch Discussion  (Read 21535 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: The Nintendo Switch Discussion
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2017, 12:34:18 pm »
I was thinking games like COD4, KoToR, GTA: IV, BioShock, Assassin's Creed: Ezio Trilogy, Red Dead Redemption...

I'm just thinking of fan favorites that folks might have been too young to really enjoy, might have just skipped, or they played and would want to go back to them. 

Maybe skip the ones that already have a remaster.  I don't know.  I'm just spitballing here.

If they do this, then they should do collections of games. Something like Super Mario All-Stars or the Sega 6-Pak was back in the day.

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2017, 04:30:17 pm »
Maybe some could be nice, but there aren't a lot that could do well that would sell systems and not just look like leftovers being tossed onto the Switch as scrap.  They'd have to be full remasters and likely exclusives and that dwindles down the selection quite abit.

« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2017, 04:01:05 pm »
If you're interested.

Switch already spotted in the wild
https://vid.me/oQkO

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2017, 04:08:39 pm »
Yup, looks like a Switch.  Getting nice and hyped for Zelda right now.  Been trying to avoid any new details on Zelda since the January 12th video and its hard.  I know there was some information released not long ago and the Art and Artifacts book has been shown off and I just got my Game Informer magazine which is all about Zelda and I know it has some new information too. Only two more weeks!

« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2017, 12:39:15 am »

What do you guys think of the switch's UI based on the leaked photos so far? It looks so perfect and organized to me  ;D. It looks so much more refined and modern than the Wii U's UI and overall appearance. I love the title art. It's larger and more sleek looking. Eshop, gallery and communities seem to be easily accessed with one touch from the bottom. It looks so seemless.  I cant wait to see it in person. :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:06:09 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2017, 06:09:06 pm »
Got to fiddle around with one today (My store's shipment came in so we had to pop one open to take a look). I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed.

The screen part was very lightweight but had a good, crisp picture and excellent sound (blows the Wii U's gamepad's speakers out of the water). Without the Joycons attached, it's basically got the weight, look, and sound of a higher end tablet.

The Joycons were a big surprise as well. You really can't fathom how small they actually are until you hold them. They're basically the size of the bottom half of a Wiimote. The connections are also very solid and will stay firmly in place once attached, but will also slide out easily once the release button is hit.

All in all, a good showing of solid Nintendo craftsmanship. I might have to get one sooner rather than later now.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2017, 06:39:16 pm »
Whenever Breath of the Wild keeps getting attention for being "open-world", I keep thinking, "Wasn't the original Legend of Zelda open-world?"

« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2017, 07:46:21 pm »
Whenever Breath of the Wild keeps getting attention for being "open-world", I keep thinking, "Wasn't the original Legend of Zelda open-world?"

I think it's about open world in a way where you explore most of the world with no loading (that at least can be perceived) and screen transitions, which Zelda has never had before.  I think open world is a pretty broad term, as something that might be more proper to BOTW (at least of what little knowledge I have of it), is that the game is more of a "sandbox" game.  Many games with loading between zones are still considered open world, because you aren't really kept on linear paths and can generally explore more openly.  Sandbox is better used for games like Grand Theft Auto, Just Cause, or what seems to be BOTW.  Its full freedom to kinda do what you want, only held back by some sort of item needed to progress into an area.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2017, 10:19:43 pm »
^ I'm not hearing anything in that description that doesn't fit Legend of Zelda, other than the graphical limitations of an 8-bit machine. You could go anywhere, and do anything at any time in that game. The only thing holding you back, again, being some item like a raft or ladder to reach certain places.

It was screen-to-screen, but I think that was only because they couldn't fit a map that large on an NES cartridge and have it be seemless.

« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2017, 10:44:41 pm »
^ I'm not hearing anything in that description that doesn't fit Legend of Zelda, other than the graphical limitations of an 8-bit machine. You could go anywhere, and do anything at any time in that game. The only thing holding you back, again, being some item like a raft or ladder to reach certain places.

It was screen-to-screen, but I think that was only because they couldn't fit a map that large on an NES cartridge and have it be seemless.

You certainly aren't wrong, but it could be said that the game being seamless with its world is what sets it apart.  It hasn't been done in Zelda before.  It was either screen to screen or areas separated by loading screens, plus nothing to this scale from what I understand of the maps size.

« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2017, 12:18:41 pm »
Tons of new indie game announcements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pthemnEt3vE

Not mentioned in video but confirmed

Ittle Dew 2
Toe Jam & Earl
The fall chapter 2
rogue trooper redux
thumper
wonder boy the dragons trap
enter the gungeon
ultimate chicken horse
and many more
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:52:59 pm by ignition365 »

« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2017, 01:16:41 am »
Today be the day! I stood in line for 4 hours to NOT get a Switch lol I was mostly going to guarantee myself a charging grip and pro controller along with hanging with a friend grabbing a system.  Turned out that Best Buy got a lot of systems, at least 50, and that doesn't include the 20 to 30 pre-orders.  I'm impressed by the amount as they might even have some Switch systems available when they open later.

My Switch and Master Edition BOTW will be in later today in the mail, where I will slip into it and never leave.  The hype has been unbearable.

*EDIT*
And just to add to anyone that might still have desync issues with their joycon, make sure your joycons are attached when it updates and if they weren't, to restart the system once or even twice with them attached to the Switch to guarantee that the firmware update is properly installed.  This should fix the problem.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:20:46 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2017, 03:00:27 pm »

Happy switch day everyone!! :D  So glad I was able to get one with the huge mob of resellers that were there. :)

« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2017, 07:42:19 pm »
So, having spent the day with the system and having had played a few different games... so far Zelda is pretty wonderful, feels like Skyward Sword but with obvious improvements.  Snipperclips is wildly recommended as a couch co-op game.  Bomberman R is actually quite refreshing coming from Konami.  Havent played 12switch yet, but im sure itll be interesting.

« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2017, 08:31:35 pm »
Only put a little time into the game, still on the Plateau (Of course no spoilers), but BOTW so far is fantastic.  It's a truly great overhaul to the game and genuinely challenging in some parts.  This isn't the same Zelda game where you lose a little heart pip here and there and generally never die.  I actually had a genuine fight with a Bokogoblin as you gotta watch for strikes coming in as they can take multiple hearts away.  The only real negative I have so far is that the FPS does start to drop at times.  Not unplayable, but it's noticeable.  Otherwise very pretty.  It's like just as pretty to me as Horizon, but from completely different artistic viewpoints.

I was actually abit unsure about the joycons at first.  They are genuinely the smallest official controller probably made for a console and that's in the grip.  I thought they'd be fine on the system and worse on the grip, but I've put some time in Zelda and while I like the large buttons and grip on the Pro, it isn't feeling uncomfortable.  I might be just fine with it, even if totally threw my sword into the water accidentally trying to bring out my bow because the two R buttons are so small and close to each other lol