Author Topic: The Nintendo Switch Discussion  (Read 18365 times)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: The Nintendo Switch Discussion
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2017, 10:15:17 am »
Well Breath of the wild nearly made me cry. To be as vague as possible it's takes place in one of the dungeons in the game

davifus

« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2017, 03:29:59 pm »
Only put a little time into the game, still on the Plateau (Of course no spoilers), but BOTW so far is fantastic.  It's a truly great overhaul to the game and genuinely challenging in some parts.  This isn't the same Zelda game where you lose a little heart pip here and there and generally never die.  I actually had a genuine fight with a Bokogoblin as you gotta watch for strikes coming in as they can take multiple hearts away.  The only real negative I have so far is that the FPS does start to drop at times.  Not unplayable, but it's noticeable.  Otherwise very pretty.  It's like just as pretty to me as Horizon, but from completely different artistic viewpoints.

I was actually abit unsure about the joycons at first.  They are genuinely the smallest official controller probably made for a console and that's in the grip.  I thought they'd be fine on the system and worse on the grip, but I've put some time in Zelda and while I like the large buttons and grip on the Pro, it isn't feeling uncomfortable.  I might be just fine with it, even if totally threw my sword into the water accidentally trying to bring out my bow because the two R buttons are so small and close to each other lol

I heard the frame issue is more common when docked in for the monitor.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2017, 03:43:04 pm »
I heard the frame issue is more common when docked in for the monitor.

Apparently, from what I'm hearing too. I haven't tested it since I never use the Switch off the dock. I tried it for abit yesterday and it was really weird after putting so many hours into it while playing on TV.  Felt like going from 3D to 2D lol It hasn't made the game unplayable at all, just a few areas maybe need some optimization if they were to do another update.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2017, 04:50:52 pm »
I'll throw my 2 cents in here.  It's just my opinion.  So, take from that what you will.   I'm not a graphics snob.  I just like fun games.
I've played 2 games: Zelda and Bomberman

I've played most of the time as a handheld.  The screen looks great.  It feels good in your hand.  The weight is right.  For a handheld, it'd be tough to beat the Switch.  As a console?  Well, it'll do.  In the docking station it looks great on TV.  I haven't noticed any slow down at all.  I'm impressed so far.

There are a few downsides I've found so far.  The right side of the control has the thumbstick in a weird place.  It takes a little bit to get used to.  I haven't had the problem that some folks have complained about.  I haven't had any pain.  I have pretty good size mitts too.  Maybe that helps.    It just took me a minute to get used to it.  It's not near as comfortable as a Xbox 360 controller (I call that the best controller of all time), but it's way better than the N64 controller. 
The other problem I have isn't with the console itself, but with a dumbass decision by Nintendo.  Friend Codes?  Really?  Friend Codes?  I thought we left that back with the Wii.   Just get it right and rip off Xbox Live.  Microsoft got it right in 2005.  Why can't Nintendo figure it out in 2017?

My opinion?  I like it.  I'm sure there are some issues, but the good outweighs the bad by a long shot.

Now, for a little speculation. This could very well be the last Nintendo home console.  You can see that this thing is a handheld first and a console second.  It is a very good handheld and an ok home console.  It feels like the docking station is an add-on to play your handheld on the TV.  I'm ok with that.  I still like it.  I just feel like Nintendo was more concerned with "on the go" than "sit on your fat ass and bury yourself in a game". 

One last thing: Zelda is awesome.  It's different, but awesome.  You need to play it.

« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2017, 05:50:16 pm »
Hopefully I'll be getting one in the next week or so. Can't wait to play Zelda  ;D

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2017, 10:34:05 am »
I've had Breath of the Wild on Wii U since Friday, and I haven't done much more than test it out because I've been playing through all the Halos again via the Master Chief Collection (first time playing it this way). And I was already in the middle of Final Fantasy IV Advance. I've got a lot on my gaming plate, at the moment, and I'm not complaining!

But I got curious and looked up Metacritic scores on the game. Nearly a perfect from critics, but just a "good" from users at a 7.5 out of 10 on average.

Why do you think there's such a large gap between the two?

Obviously, we know that some critics are "influenced". But that doesn't account for all of them.

Thoughts?

« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2017, 10:50:08 am »
Thoughts?
I read through a lot of the 0-5 ratings on metacritic for Zelda, they are almost exclusively troll reviews.

« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2017, 10:54:59 am »
I've had Breath of the Wild on Wii U since Friday, and I haven't done much more than test it out because I've been playing through all the Halos again via the Master Chief Collection (first time playing it this way). And I was already in the middle of Final Fantasy IV Advance. I've got a lot on my gaming plate, at the moment, and I'm not complaining!

But I got curious and looked up Metacritic scores on the game. Nearly a perfect from critics, but just a "good" from users at a 7.5 out of 10 on average.

Why do you think there's such a large gap between the two?

Obviously, we know that some critics are "influenced". But that doesn't account for all of them.

Thoughts?
To be honest from the gameplay I have seen it just looks like a very mediocre open world game.  Seems very empty and boring.  That being said it might just because I am not a zelda fan in the first place and I am not looking at it through rose colored glasses like some people who are saying it is the best game ever lol.

« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2017, 12:05:46 pm »
This article explains it fairly well.

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/1225009-legend-zelda-breath-wilds-metascore-bombarded-negative-reviews-paid-reviews#/slide/1

Happens with just about any game that receives a score over 90 from reviewers, usually the same folks who leave 100s for Call of Duty and Madden.

Also, most of the 0 reviews are by people who signed up just to leave a 0 review, or they leave 0 reviews for all good games, or they only give 10s and 0s, or they really really like Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham for GBA and hate everything else.

I even saw more than a handful that stated that this game deserves a 6.5, but since it's so high I'm going to give it a 0 to get it closer to 6.5. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:25:16 pm by ignition365 »

davifus

« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2017, 03:46:34 pm »
I'll throw my 2 cents in here.  It's just my opinion.  So, take from that what you will.   I'm not a graphics snob.  I just like fun games.
I've played 2 games: Zelda and Bomberman

I've played most of the time as a handheld.  The screen looks great.  It feels good in your hand.  The weight is right.  For a handheld, it'd be tough to beat the Switch.  As a console?  Well, it'll do.  In the docking station it looks great on TV.  I haven't noticed any slow down at all.  I'm impressed so far.

There are a few downsides I've found so far.  The right side of the control has the thumbstick in a weird place.  It takes a little bit to get used to.  I haven't had the problem that some folks have complained about.  I haven't had any pain.  I have pretty good size mitts too.  Maybe that helps.    It just took me a minute to get used to it.  It's not near as comfortable as a Xbox 360 controller (I call that the best controller of all time), but it's way better than the N64 controller. 
The other problem I have isn't with the console itself, but with a dumbass decision by Nintendo.  Friend Codes?  Really?  Friend Codes?  I thought we left that back with the Wii.   Just get it right and rip off Xbox Live.  Microsoft got it right in 2005.  Why can't Nintendo figure it out in 2017?

My opinion?  I like it.  I'm sure there are some issues, but the good outweighs the bad by a long shot.

Now, for a little speculation. This could very well be the last Nintendo home console.  You can see that this thing is a handheld first and a console second.  It is a very good handheld and an ok home console.  It feels like the docking station is an add-on to play your handheld on the TV.  I'm ok with that.  I still like it.  I just feel like Nintendo was more concerned with "on the go" than "sit on your fat ass and bury yourself in a game". 

One last thing: Zelda is awesome.  It's different, but awesome.  You need to play it.

I feel like people who are use to the Vita didnt feel too much discomfort because of the similar right thumbstick position however, during handheld mode it causes a lot of discomfort on the left hand when we have to shift the right hand for the thumbstick while balancing the weight of the switch on left. Plus with all this I still have support the switch with my two pinkies.

The friend code thing at this point is just to keep constancy.

Zelda is pretty fun. The weapon degrading does get to me on certain situations but still great game.

"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2017, 03:47:49 pm »
The people hating on the game are the mad people that can't afford to get the missed Link/Zelda Amiibos that are now $60 each. Nintendo really needed to reprint some of the older compatible Amiibos for Breath of the Wild. At least they made a bunch of the new ones. I'm already seeing restocks for all of them locally and Amazon still has them discounted and available for Prime customers.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2017, 04:10:47 pm »
I find that I'm enjoying Breath of the Wild far more than I was Horizon.  Sure, the world is abit more empty than say the usual open world games to a degree, because its a very large setting, but there's never not something to find.  There are shrines everywhere, stables to visit for side quests or pick up your horse, a million korok's to find, towns to visit, and lots of gear and treasure to find.  It's kinda like if you think there might be something in a spot, good chance there is.  Miyamoto always talked about exploration in his youth being the drive behind the idea of Zelda and this is the first time that idea has ever been truly realized for Zelda.  Its freedom really sets it apart from a lot of other open world games.

I don't know if I could say it's deserving of its near perfect score, even as a massive Zelda fan. The games performance isn't the best and I think weapon durability primarily for melee weapons is super low.  Almost annoyingly low at times, even with weapons that feel more important than the others.  There's also a few other nitpicks, but even saying that, it's still like a strong 9 for me.  It's definitely a fantastic game and deserving of much of the praise it gets.

« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2017, 07:46:31 pm »
Nintendo Switch > All   :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:49:30 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

kashell

« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2017, 08:15:42 am »
Weapons have durability? That's one of my least favorite features in a video game.

Are they lost forever if they break? Or, do they just lose their effectiveness and need to be repaired?

tpugmire

« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2017, 08:24:42 am »
Lost forever, but there's plenty of stuff laying around to find. Still a bit annoying though.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com