Author Topic: Thoughts on Super Mario Odyssey?  (Read 1481 times)

Thoughts on Super Mario Odyssey?
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:10:13 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM

I haven't been this excited in a really long time :D.   

It looks like they went back to the Galaxy/Sunshine style of Mario 3d games and it looks like the environments and style of this new addition are sooo incredible. :)  The visuals are amazing and I love the Pimp bowser lol. It seems breathe taking. And just envisioning playing it on the beautiful switch pad is making me overwhelmed.   :D

I cant contain my excitement.  I will now be a day one purchaser of the Nintendo Switch just for this game alone. 

I hope it is as good as it looks.

Do you like the looks of Odyssey?   :)

silversyx

Re: Thoughts on Super Mario Odyssey?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:26:40 am »
I love it! I'm already a day one purchaser, because I do that with all physical media hardware. I'm excited its different than 3D World, which I loved too, but I missed this formula!

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:32:19 am »
This has some nice potential, looking like the older 3D mario formula again wich I love.

A huge impovement after the very disspointing linear mario 3D world semi 2D series.

Looks very promising, looking forward to this game.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:38:58 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 01:10:54 pm »
It's what I've been wanting from Mario since Galaxy.  I never particularly loved those and they removed a lot of what I did like, and the recent ones were terrible ideas, even if they were fine games, but I think the 3D games need to be about much bigger adventures and in particular worlds to explore, not quick little levels.  Kinda was hoping we'd get a hub world, but it doesn't seem like we will as Mario seems to be traveling around in that ship, but I'll take what I can get lol Best looking Mario since Sunshine I feel.

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 03:53:46 pm »
It looks kind of... weird... but awesome weird. I can't wait to play it as it looks like a ton of fun. I already have this game and the system preordered. I'm really hoping it blends 64/Sunshine/Galaxy 1 & 2/3D Land/3D World by having linear levels point a to b, but also objectives in each level like the older 3D titles did.
Really wondering what Mario's hat is named... Hatty Hatterson? Jk it'll be named something more creative like F.L.U.D.D. from Sunshine. It's sort of weird to have it take place in the real world, reminds me of Sonic Adventure
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

ferraroso

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 09:11:37 pm »
Huahahaha!
I can't stop watching this video!
https://youtu.be/Ih323XXu_3w

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 04:42:34 pm »
Really like the look of it. The world's look really nice for the most part, gameplay looks fluid and already we can see some new mechanics that look interesting. Also nice to finally get something reminiscent of traditional 3D Mario games.

My only issue so far are parts of the visuals. The artstyle seems to lack cohesion, mainly Mario with the rest of the environment. Also I'm a fan of the realistic town setting.

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 08:07:55 pm »
I have to be honest enough to say that I have mixed feelings. Nothing major, but I just don't like the idea of mixing Mario's universe with "reality" all that much. It's a minor gripe, but overall most likely 2017 game of the year for me, and the only reason so far that I'd consider picking up a Nintendo Switch.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 08:52:45 pm »
A lot of folks are worried about the "real world" that they showed in that game, but have no problem with "fork people, kitchen world".  I think it's a weird place in the universe for Mario to visit.  I don't think it's the whole game.  At least they didn't try to give Mario long legs and more human looking.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 09:06:40 pm »
It's clearly only one level in the game.  I also don't get why people are harping on it so much (Not directed at anyone here, just a few complaints I've seen online), down to some making it seem like Mario is just gonna spend most of the time there, which he isn't.  Yeah it's a drastic design contrast, but I think that's the point with Mario traveling to all these weird and different places.

Flashback2012

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 04:03:35 am »
Huahahaha!
I can't stop watching this video!
https://youtu.be/Ih323XXu_3w

The more I watch this, the more entertaining I find it over the actual footage for the real game. There's something off-putting to me about the NYC in Odyssey. I guess having people look normal and Mario looking cartoonish doesn't work for me. There are other levels in the video that look really nice and fit the Mario motif but that cityscape at the beginning feels so out of place.

That said, I'm sure I'll pick it up just like I do with every other Mario release.  :P