Author Topic: New 3DS Still Being Supported?  (Read 2947 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

New 3DS Still Being Supported?
« on: January 24, 2017, 02:34:25 pm »
Sure seems that way with Nintendo just announcing a Pikachu edition of the handheld coming out next month:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/24/14370702/new-nintendo-3ds-xl-pikachu-yellow

Re: New 3DS Still Being Supported?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 02:38:09 pm »
I mean... Nintendo did just announce Fire Emblem Echoes for 3DS and Fire Emblem Warriors for N3DS... so yeah.. it's still being supported.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:52:10 pm »
Yup it is, though I figure it's got about a year left of serious support.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 02:59:03 pm »
They dropped the Wii U like a bad girlfriend. So it's nice to see that the 3DS still has some life in it.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 03:01:40 pm »
They dropped the Wii U like a bad girlfriend. So it's nice to see that the 3DS still has some life in it.

Well they had to drop the Wii U, dead weight.  3DS still does sales, though I still figure a year before they start winding down so that they can push the Switch as the sole focus and replacement.

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 03:32:59 pm »
With Nintendo not putting a mainline Fire Emblem game on Switch until 2018, I think it's safe to assume the 3DS will be supported until then. Once Pokemon jumps to Switch, then the 3DS will dwindle. I predict the next Pokemon games will probably come out on 3DS late this year, and then holiday 2018 will be the full transition to Switch.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 10:53:21 pm »
Yep, Nintendo isn't dropping the 3DS. As mentioned above, plenty of games are still being released for it, at least for the next few years, it seems. May be the only thing to keep them afloat while the Switch builds up it's library haha.

Though it does bring up the question of whether or not Sony is going to try putting another handheld out there, eventually. Although I like my 3DS for some things, I preferred the price and variety of games that the PSP/Vita offered.

Guess I may have to eventually upgrade to a *new* 3DS though, assuming more games will demand the hardware to perform better over the next couple of years.

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 05:18:47 pm »
honestly... i want true new handheld.

Either Nintendo or Sony One....
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 09:20:33 pm »

In what way? The Switch is the evolution of the handheld, doing more than even what the Vita did.  This is the future for Nintendo and Sony is probably done with handhelds since the Vita failed.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 08:49:46 am »

The Switch is THE Handheld.  IMO, it's the best handheld ever made.  It was just marketed wrong as a console.  It's a handheld that will connect to your TV.

zephyria

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 07:59:01 am »
The Switch is THE Handheld.  IMO, it's the best handheld ever made.  It was just marketed wrong as a console.  It's a handheld that will connect to your TV.

Quite an expensive handheld, at that.  I think a big part of the success and draw of the original Game Boy all the way though the 3DS was that they were that much more affordable for people of all ages.  While the Switch isn't at a bad price, it may not reach the level of success that the DS family has had (at least for a while), especially since it lacks backwards compatibility.

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 08:48:27 am »

Quite an expensive handheld, at that.  I think a big part of the success and draw of the original Game Boy all the way though the 3DS was that they were that much more affordable for people of all ages.  While the Switch isn't at a bad price, it may not reach the level of success that the DS family has had (at least for a while), especially since it lacks backwards compatibility.
Switch is $299, 3DS at launch was $249 I think.  Not too far off.

zephyria

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 08:56:06 am »
Switch is $299, 3DS at launch was $249 I think.  Not too far off.

Not too far, but 3DS had a slow start for the first year or so if I remember correctly, followed by a price drop that helped it along.  I think Switch will do well as a handheld, but more games plus a bit of a price drop would help it along.

Another thing to keep in mind is not just the price of the console, but the prices of the games as well, which is triple that of 3DS games.  I really hope that publishers don't stick with the full $60 price point for simpler handheld titles.

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 09:19:02 am »
which is triple that of 3DS games.
Wat?

3DS games are $40.  $20 is not a price that I've seen release day for 3DS games... ever.  As for the Switch titles, I've seen games as cheap as $20 and as much as $60 on release day.

zephyria

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 09:30:49 am »
Wat?

3DS games are $40.  $20 is not a price that I've seen release day for 3DS games... ever.  As for the Switch titles, I've seen games as cheap as $20 and as much as $60 on release day.

Games are regularly $20 on Amazon after not a lot of time.  Maybe not release day, sure, and maybe not for the big name Mario or Pokemon games, but a substantial number of them do go down to around $20 given a bit of time, many to $30.  When you're a kid from a not rich family, you generally have to wait on mommy or daddy to agree to buy games for you, and this is a lot of the market for Nintendo.  Release day is simply not a factor for many people.

As for Switch, there are like 5 games for it (sarcasm, but really there aren't many).  I hope that this does become a trend though and that they continue to release games that are affordable and worthwhile stuff that people actually want.