Author Topic: Resident Evil 7 SPOILER Thread  (Read 1508 times)

Resident Evil 7 SPOILER Thread
« on: January 26, 2017, 02:17:45 am »
Yup, spoilers from here on in. 

Not sure if anyone else beat the game yet, but I've beaten it twice now, once with a normal playthrough, and the second started out with me going to do all the coins and bobble heads, but changed my mind and did the under 4 hour run of the game.  I managed to do it in 3 and 1/2 hours and it wasn't even an ideal run.  I was also able to use the Albert during this run which is a great gun combined with enhanced bullets, even if it's only a 3 shot gun, it makes up for it in power.  I imagine speed runners are getting this game down to like nearly 2 hours.

While I feel like this is a top notch game, really fantastic, I do have a few nitpicks I'm unsure about, so I'll talk about those. 

As much as I like the video tapes, I think they are really stretching how believable they are, running around with a giant VHS recorder.   Clancy and Mia's first tapes are fine enough, they are clearly holding cameras, though they screw up by showing Eveline in Mia's tape, which makes no sense as Eveline is a hallucination whenever she is seen in the game other than Mia's second tape.  The second time though, clearly they aren't holding cameras.  Sure, it's a game, but they are trying to make things relatively believable and when I realized it, it kinda bugged me.  There could possibly be an excuse that Mia's time in the past could not actually be a tape, but Eveline just giving her memories back, but still relies on a tape with information related to her.

I actually had an issue with Lucas being unresolved, but stupidly I only really now realized that the bit where Umbrella and Chris would be explained in that free chapter coming, that Lucas and Zoe could be resolved in that chapter also.  I was initially annoyed that it would be a cliffhanger or possible paid DLC conclusion, but clearly we'll deal with them there.  My guess is that this chapter was initially meant to be something unlocked after you beat the game, but due to deadlines, they needed more time, so cut it, that way they could get another month or so of development to finish up.  I'm alright, cause it's clearly extra and it doesn't hurt the main game at all, unlike Final Fantasy XV.

My other issue is the ending.  That boss fight is real weak.  Cool looking, but it is very lackluster compared to the other boss fights we had.  It's very modern RE, but I feel like they could've done something more engaging.  The boss has a lot of scripted elements and it takes abit to learn them since only certain parts matter if you shoot and others don't.  Made for a couple real dumb deaths.

One other minor thing would be that enemy variety is minimal.  I'm glad it wasn't just zombies, but 4 types of mold guys and the Bakers is very low in variety, especially when the last third of the game introduces nothing new.  I mean why didn't we get like a moldgator? That would've been awesome.  It's not a bad thing, because this game is meant to be kind of a scaled down reset for the series, but it would've been nice to have more molded variety.  I feel like it's open for more possibilities.

Otherwise, I really love the game.  Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of creepy horror games, like I love zombie games and things with good atmosphere like Metro 2033, but I don't play hardly any horror games and I'm glad I played this though.  It's creepy, it's scary, it's regularly unsettling.  Can't say that about any other RE game.

Next I plan to playthrough to collect everything.  I highly recommend you to do it on your third try.  First beat the game on normal, then do the under 4 hour run.  Doing that, it gets you a defense item and you get both a new and stronger melee weapon, but X-Ray Glasses, which is a permanent psychostimulant.  Then if you want to have a real tough time, do Madhouse.  I might try it, but I'm not one for crazy hard difficulties, though from what I understand, the difficulty comes from rearranged items, lower ammo, and that now you have to use tapes to save, like with the old games.

*EDIT*
Figured I'd start into my Madhouse run.  Normally I hate frustrating difficulties, but I figure with the circular saw, albert pistol, and two defense items, I might be able to get through.  Took me an hour and 15 minutes to get to the item box.  Died nearly 10 times trying to get past the Mia chainsaw fight.  It's a much more terrifying fight, where she takes much more hits, you will run out of ammo unless you have 100% headshot accuracy, and she only has to hit you like twice, even guarding, to kill you.  I can only imagine how a few of the fights are going to go.

Also got the X-Ray Specs, so I'm gonna use those to try and 100% the game for collectibles.  There's way more coins to find in the game on Madhouse difficulty.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:00:56 am by kamikazekeeg »

Re: Resident Evil 7 SPOILER Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 04:21:41 pm »
Just to say, if you got the game and thought about playing on Madhouse first if you got a pre-order version, maybe it's too late for that, I wouldn't do it. 

Madhouse really fundamentally alters the experience, which is confusing why they even offered it as pre-order bonus to unlock early.  It is supposed to unlock after you beat the game on normal, because it's a non-canon way to play the game that changes up a whole lot of the experience.  It's not just hard mode.  You get limited saves, you are far weaker and only take a hit or two if you aren't blocking, while the enemies are stronger, item placement is vastly different, and appearances of the family are different, it's definitely an alternate game mode.  I'd say it's almost more like a survival mode, than a difficulty option.

theflea

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 08:14:56 pm »
I beat the game on normal, got all collectables and I'm trying my hand at madhouse.
Its tough getting through the boss fights, up to Marguerite and she kicks my butt.
The Mia chainsaw fight was a pain to get through I feel your pain.
Funny thing is I beat both Jack boss fights pretty easy.  :P

Overall I love the game, ya it's unrealistic but that's Resident Evil. I love the new creepy style, feels like a Survival horror again.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 08:49:01 pm »
I beat the game on normal, got all collectables and I'm trying my hand at madhouse.
Its tough getting through the boss fights, up to Marguerite and she kicks my butt.
The Mia chainsaw fight was a pain to get through I feel your pain.
Funny thing is I beat both Jack boss fights pretty easy.  :P

Overall I love the game, ya it's unrealistic but that's Resident Evil. I love the new creepy style, feels like a Survival horror again.

Madhouse is nuts, but yeah Jack in the garage was easy if you get in the car, Jack 2 I did my first try, I didn't expect that to happen, and Jack 3 was kinda tough, took me a few tries, but you restart at the beginning of the fight upon death, unlike the other fights where you have to go back to your last save.  Marguerite took me like 3 or 4 tries to beat her, but I'm at the ship again and I'm expecting this to be real rough, but I have like a half dozen casette tapes left, so I can spare an extra one or two during it to make it easier. 

I was initially worried the limited tapes would make things way harder, but there's enough to kinda use one after seemingly every important story point.    The hardest things to fight sometimes I feel are the crawlers.  They do an absolute ton of damage even when blocking and I got 2 defensive items lol  Seems I accidentally missed some coins, so I won't get the Madhouse coins achievement, but I don't mind.  I'm never playing Madhouse again lol Not even sure how I missed any coins, I've been running around with the X-Ray glasses, so I basically have the stimulant on at all times to see where everything is at.

After I beat this, I'm going to do one easy run through the game to try and do the rest of the achievements left and get all the files and bobbleheads.  Then I'll take a break until the DLC comes out on PC at the end of the month.  Annoying that we have to wait a month due to PS4 exclusivity lol

So what is your opinion on Chris at the end? Some people are running with the theory that this isn't Chris, just someone pretending to be Chris, like Hunk maybe, but I feel that it is Chris and that he looks so different, because the game has a very different art style now from what it use to be and Mister Boulder Puncher McRoidpants would looks ridiculously out of place.  I even think he looks almost more like what an older RE1 Chris would look like more than what he became in RE5 and 6, though with lighter hair.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 04:57:42 pm »
I bought Resident Evil 7 last weekend, and I'm gonna be the first one to go against the grain and say: It's boring.

It's so slow and plodding. And the story, really isn't that interesting.

For those wondering, I got about 3-4 hours into it (and I'm just not that driven to go any further).

I can see the younger generation getting into it more. But it just reminded me of the endless amount of Texas Chainsaw Massacre wannabe movies we got in the 70s and early 80s. No originality to it at all.

I miss the zombies and Umbrella Corp, so much.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:00:36 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 05:24:55 pm »
Bummer, I think its far more entertaining than most of what RE has done in many years.  Yeah it's more Texas Chainsaw than Zombie B-Movie, but I think the series needed it and its the first time the series has actually been scary and tense.  RE dragged everything it did before into the dirt and then kept dragging till it was nothing.  Not that I wouldn't want to see them change back to a more T-Virus oriented scenario, just done in this gameplay style, but I think they had to something real different or Resident Evil would be dead.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 08:35:53 pm »
^ It has been different, since RE4. I haven't been in love with the series, like I was, since RE4. But I keep trying the new releases because I was such a big RE fan, and I'm still a big horror movie fan.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:04:58 pm »
^ It has been different, since RE4. I haven't been in love with the series, like I was, since RE4. But I keep trying the new releases because I was such a big RE fan, and I'm still a big horror movie fan.

Right, RE4 was the first big shift, and I was glad for it, because I hated the games before, mostly from a gameplay point of view, but the series was downhill after that, fully tanking with RE6.  RE7 needed to be as drastic a change as RE4 was.  I think with RE7 they at least settled on great gameplay and they can use this for future games, maybe delving back into some more traditional zombie elements.  We'll have to see.  I think RE is in a real good place right now.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 11:25:35 pm »
And finally got around to beating Resident Evil 7 on Madhouse.  I had forgotten that I had left it at the ship and got sidetracked by Nioh and Yakuza 0 I think, but needed to beat it before the DLC releases in hopefully a half hour (Heard it's a mixed bag of good and alright).  Madhouse is a fun way too do a new difficulty as it's definitely a tougher challenge and I thought the limited saves would be harder to deal with, but it's overall just a good challenge.  You gotta be much more on point with blocks and I sorta cheated abit, with two defensive tokens and x-ray glasses for items, but I wasn't planning to do another playthrough lol  It was tough even with that at times.  One or two of the boss fights get way harder with the harder challenge, particularly Chainsaw Mia and the third fight with Jack, not counting him showing up chasing you on the second floor.

Its definitely a good way to replay the game, since a lot of the items and encounters are altered.  I've beaten the game three times at this point and can't wait to finish the story with the free chapter that I hope is out soon.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 05:15:48 am »
Don't mean to post again so early, but the DLC released on PC finally and I gotta say I'm disappointed.  I love RE7, I think it's a great game, but I wouldn't have liked this DLC in the season pass even if it released with the game at launch. 

The only kinda interesting stuff is Daughters, which is like a glorified flashback to the Bakers before they turned (Don't really learn any new information and should've been included in the game over everything else), and Bedroom, because it has some interesting puzzles.  I had heard Ethan Must Die and Nightmare were good, but Nightmare is just Call of Duty Zombies and I wasn't having too much fun with it.  Ethan Must Die is a gauntlet where traps and enemies appear at specific points as you move through the house with an end goal in mind, but all the gear is randomize through boxes you open, making it a rogue-like.  I mostly found it frustrating.

21 is a Saw Movie-like card game with Lucas and was okay, but I lost interest at a certain point and got annoyed with the ending till I figured it out.  Jack's 55th Birthday might be the worst one.  It's almost mercenaries like, but its honestly dumb.

There is still a story episode with the pass, and MAYBE that could be worth it, but I'd say skip on the pass unless you watch some of this stuff in a video and it looks fun to you.