Author Topic: Will the Wii U GameCube adaptor work with Wii games?  (Read 1682 times)

telly

Will the Wii U GameCube adaptor work with Wii games?
« on: January 26, 2017, 09:03:31 am »
So I'm trying to find the optimal way to have multiple controllers for both the Wii amd Wii U. I was wondering for those who have the Wii U GameCube adaptor, will that work for Wii games that support the GameCube controller? I'm having difficulty finding a definitive answer online, and don't want to buy unnecessary controllers if I can help it.

Thanks guys :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:56:35 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tpugmire

Re: Will the Wii U GameCube adaptor work with Wii games?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 09:36:55 am »
I remember hearing someone say it was only compatible with Smash Bros. I don't have one myself, so I'm not 100% certain that is the case.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

aliensstudios

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 10:22:52 am »
So I'm trying to find the optimal way to have multiple controllers for both the Wii amd Wii U. I was wondering for those who have the Wii U GameCube adaptor, will that work for Wii games that support the GameCube controller? I'm having difficulty finding a definitive answer online, and don't want to buy unessecary controllers if I can help it.

Thanks guys :)
Telly, they will not work in anything but Super Smash Bros. for Wii U unfortunately :( It's really stupid mishap by Nintendo, seeing as it's perfectly possible via Homebrew to use the GameCube controller adaptor in Wii mode. I bought two of these products: https://vgcollect.com/item/104171 before I knew the official adaptor was going to be made. It essentially is a dongle for the Wii remote which converts a GameCube controller into a Wii Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro. The downside is, they cost money, the upside is, they work with any Wii/Wii U game that support the Classic Controller family. This means you can play Smash Bros. Brawl, Smash Bros. Wii U, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario Kart 8, the entire Virtual Console library (trust me it's very handy for digital N64 titles). The only issue is that there is no rumble, which I don't believe the Classic Controller had to begin with, but for the most part I'd say this is the best option unless you want to use the third party GameCube Classic Controllers.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

telly

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 11:54:16 am »
Ahh, that's a much better option. I already have four GameCube controllers, and nothing else other than the gamepad for the Wii U. So for me your suggestion would be better as buying four Wii Remotes and Mayflash Connectors would theoretically give me everything I would need for both Wii and Wii U.

I'm just wondering if those dongles work well, like do they have lag or anything? I don't think the rumble issue will be a problem for me, though I'm leaning towards also getting a Wii U Pro controller for single player games as my standard controller, and have everything else for multiplayer games.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:55:51 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 12:50:16 pm »
Ahh, that's a much better option. I already have four GameCube controllers, and nothing else other than the gamepad for the Wii U. So for me your suggestion would be better as buying four Wii Remotes and Mayflash Connectors would theoretically give me everything I would need for both Wii and Wii U.

I'm just wondering if those dongles work well, like do they have lag or anything? I don't think the rumble issue will be a problem for me, though I'm leaning towards also getting a Wii U Pro controller for single player games as my standard controller, and have everything else for multiplayer games.
The dongles work really well from what I've tried, I'm no lag expert but I'd say they have the same exact amount of lag as using the Classic Controller plugged into the Wii remote (so barely any). The Wii U Pro Controller is nice, and works well especially since some games only support it and not the Classic Controller but for multiplayer I'd lean towards the mayflash option. Four dongles should only cost 60 bucks or so and if you have the controllers already a Pro Controller costs 60 bucks alone or more.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 01:21:07 pm »
http://www.play-asia.com/gc-controller-adapter-for-wiiwii-u-play-asiacom-edition/13/708aqh?tagid=145040
To use your gamecube controller on virtually any Wii/Wii U game, you need this. You'll need one per controller though.
unfortunately, all other options seem to only work with Smash, although they also have PC options as well, but that doesn't help you.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:23:22 pm by jonathonstriker »

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 01:39:08 pm »
http://www.play-asia.com/gc-controller-adapter-for-wiiwii-u-play-asiacom-edition/13/708aqh?tagid=145040
To use your gamecube controller on virtually any Wii/Wii U game, you need this. You'll need one per controller though.
unfortunately, all other options seem to only work with Smash, although they also have PC options as well, but that doesn't help you.
I haven't tried these firsthand though they look the exact same as the Mayflash adaptor. Probably the same tech inside tbh, pretty good price for one of those.