Author Topic: Let's talk about PS1's Space Jam's PAL region cover art for a moment  (Read 1935 times)

Hi yall. First post here. I need to know if I am the only one ever to wonder about this, so here it goes.

(disclaimer: images below are found from various ebay items)

This here is the PAL version PS1's Space Jam:

Take look at the cover art and manual art. See those blue mountains at the bottom of the art? Remember that. Now here's another copy of the same game:

Notice any difference? Yeah that's right. Those blue mountains are indeed gone in this version. To me it looks like a printing error, as if the print file (eps files way back when?) was glitching out for some reason thus those color and detail for the mountain was being omitted. Does anybody has any solid facts as of if that really is the case here? If it is a printing error, which regions were affected and how many copies were printed with this error?

I have seen both of these versions being sold on ebay at about 60-40 ratio, and even some games with correct blue mountain front covers but white mountain manuals.

And talking about that mountain line on the artwork, why is that even there? What would be the purpose of it? If you look at the US release of the game, it has no mountains whatsoever:

I really wonder what's the reasoning behind the artistic decision to include mountains in the design. Those mountains have nothing to do with the movie, the game or the Looney Tunes universe. My best quess is that maybe the cover art artist wanted to have some solid color behind the company logos so that they'd pop up better.

I'd like to know what you think of this!

tripredacus

Re: Let's talk about PS1's Space Jam's PAL region cover art for a moment
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:29:47 pm »
What is in the black text box on the front of the PAL versions, is it the same on both versions?

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 09:24:43 am »
What is in the black text box on the front of the PAL versions, is it the same on both versions?
It seems to be the product's EAN code: 3455192107544, which is the same in both versions. If you google that EAN you'll find both blue and white mountain versions.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 06:21:58 pm »
It seems to be the product's EAN code: 3455192107544, which is the same in both versions. If you google that EAN you'll find both blue and white mountain versions.

I tend not to trust what Google says is the picture of EAN results. Verification is always needed. ;)

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 12:15:09 pm »
Space Jam's website from 1996 is still up.  It's a nice peek at how websites from the 1990s looked like.

http://www.warnerbros.com/archive/spacejam/movie/jam.htm

rayne315

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 12:46:55 pm »
Space Jam's website from 1996 is still up.  It's a nice peek at how websites from the 1990s looked like.

oh god... there is a reason websites aren't like that anymore....
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 01:46:02 pm »

oh god... there is a reason websites aren't like that anymore....
Looks like something I would have made in web design class lol.

kashell

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 03:03:13 pm »

OMG. I love this!

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 03:48:50 am »
This is not to strange.

prints were made in different factories from time to time especially in later years chances might happen. maybe it was a mistake and maybe they decided to chance the colour in a later print run.
Also quality control wasn't to great back than.

Usually small  inkt spots wich appear on every game or misprints like starblade on the side cover etc etc might happen.

If you look at certain megadrive games like quack shot, altered beast, the whole colour of the packaging as a whole has a slightly different colour so you have different versions to collect for if you are really hardcore.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 07:47:09 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!